one in six people in England and Wales were born outside the UK.

Started by papasmurf, November 03, 2022, 09:42:42 AM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: HDQQ on November 10, 2022, 01:31:53 PM
This one-in-six figure presumably includes a proportion of people born outside the UK to British parents who were living abroad at the time. I'm thinking particularly of military families stationed overseas.
Is this likely to account for many people?

I doubt there was ever more than about 10,000 military personnel stationed outside the UK in any year since 1980, and how many are they likely to produce? 

Even people here claiming qualifying grandparents and caught up in the count, are unlikely to account for large numbers...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Streetwalker

Quote from: HDQQ on November 10, 2022, 01:31:53 PM
This one-in-six figure presumably includes a proportion of people born outside the UK to British parents who were living abroad at the time. I'm thinking particularly of military families stationed overseas.
Indeed it would include anyone born overseas .  The censor question , Place of birth ? Doesnt come with any reason for it . 

HDQQ

This one-in-six figure presumably includes a proportion of people born outside the UK to British parents who were living abroad at the time. I'm thinking particularly of military families stationed overseas. 
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Streetwalker

On the other hand  there are 200 million people worldwide who could claim to be decendents of the British , just as well there forefathers  buggered off when they did or the place would sink .

The UK has 82% of people from British decendents , a bit of trivia , the only country with 100% British ancestry is the Pitcairn Islands though they do only have a population of 50 

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on November 03, 2022, 04:55:04 PM
I must admit, that surprises me. With your continuing interest in guns, I never suspected you were actually firing blanks...
Frankly that kind of idiot comment and personal attack adds precisely nothing to the debate.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on November 03, 2022, 10:16:12 AM
The population needs to be decreased over time not increased.  The fact I have no children is down to my personal decision because the overpopulation problem was obvious to me 63 years ago.
I must admit, that surprises me. With your continuing interest in guns, I never suspected you were actually firing blanks...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Streetwalker

Quote from: cromwell on November 03, 2022, 12:53:39 PM
Well we keep being told we need more people,I feel quite sorry for the inhabitants of parts of Kent who are bearing the brunt and being overwhelmed.

There needs to be some sort of solution to this and quite soon before more extremists seek to take advantage.
There does need to be a solution and yes quick . I think the conservatives will need this sorted out to have any chance in two years ,and they know it . 
Quote from: papasmurf on November 03, 2022, 01:01:47 PM
I feel sorry for them as well However it appears nowhere is safe from the influx of Albanian criminals:-

Some people have been warning of this for years but were shouted down a racists and xenaphobes  . The Albanians when we were in the EU were coming in on Romanian passports ,of course now that has been taken away they come on the boats . Ive had them on the jobs Ive been on ,nothing was off limits to what they would  steal from power tools to a half eaten sandwich in the fridge . You just couldn't leave anything unnatended they are like locusts .

Plod are are looking the other way with the crime , the shootings and stabbings are now a daily occurance as the different foriegn  gangs compete for turf , at least you dont have that to deal with . 

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on November 03, 2022, 12:53:39 PM
Well we keep being told we need more people,I feel quite sorry for the inhabitants of parts of Kent who are bearing the brunt and being overwhelmed.

There needs to be some sort of solution to this and quite soon before more extremists seek to take advantage.
I feel sorry for them as well However it appears nowhere is safe from the influx of Albanian criminals:-

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/images-show-huge-scale-bodmin-7773950

Images show huge scale of Bodmin drug bust at Natwest bank £700k cannabis factory
More than 800 plants were found when police raided the old bank

By
Chris MatthewsCourt Reporter

• 10:13, 2 NOV 2022
  • UPDATED10:21, 2 NOV 2022

Newly released images show the true scale of a huge cannabis factory located above an old bank on a Cornish high street. On Tuesday at Truro Crown Court, three Albanian men were jailed for their involvement in the huge scale operation above the former Natwest bank on Fore Street, right in the centre of Bodmin.

Once inside police found the huge, sophisticated enterprise consisting of more than 850 plants with a potential street value of more than £700,000.

Officers raided the four-storey building after breaking through bolted doors and those inside, the three defendants, were arrested either hiding or attempting to flee.

Read more: Successful Cornish businessman falls from grace and ends up jailed

The drama unfolded in the centre of Bodmin. Officers remained at the location for days as they dismantled the factory in front of curious bystanders.

Of the three men jailed, two were acting as gardeners tending to the grow, with a third man slightly higher up the chain. Truro Crown Court heard that all three men were brought to the country illegally and instructed to work at the location. They were said to be fearing for the safety of their families at home and one of the defendants was deemed by the Home Office as a victim of modern slavery.

You can read the full court report below...

A cannabis factory located on a Cornish high street above a former bank had plants with an estimated street value of more than half a million pounds. Three Albanian men have received prison sentences for their roles in the potentially hugely profitable enterprise which operated at the old Natwest bank on Bodmin 's Fore Street.

Engjell Osmanaj, 29, Anjelos Selamaj, 22, and Alban Topi, 29, all appeared at Truro Crown Court for sentence having pleaded guilty to the production of cannabis. The court heard how all three men operated in the production due to fears of what would happen to their families back home, with Topi even being deemed by the Home Office as a victim of modern slavery.

Prosecuting the case, Nicholas Lewin described how in Bodmin in January of this year a police warrant was executed in Fore Street at the huge building that spans four floors. Police encountered reinforced doors that were bolted from the inside.

When they eventually gained access, the defendants were found hiding and attempting to escape. Mr Lewin described the building as a health and safety hazard and officers found Osmanaj's phones and car keys. In the car, items linked to the grow were found and his car was clocked on ANPR cameras travelling between the grow and his home.

Mr Lewin said: "Within the property, police found a large commercial sized cannabis farm with the potential to produce cannabis on an industrial scale."

More than 850 plants were found worth £537,000 with a street value of £731,000. The men at the property, it was claimed, were transported there not through choice and had food brought to the premises. Mr Lewin said that Topi and Selemaj were gardeners, with Osmanaj having a more advanced role.
Representing Osmanaj, Ramsay Quaife said: "He describes himself as the Cornish go-between and the head gardener of the operation. He has no previous convictions and did what he could to send money home to his parents and sister in Albania."

cromwell

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on November 03, 2022, 09:42:42 AM
This does not look like controlling immigration to me:-

More at link:-

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/internationalmigration/bulletins/internationalmigrationenglandandwales/census2021#:~:text=Out%20of%20the%2059.6%20million,were%20born%20outside%20the%20UK.

Out of the 59.6 million usual residents in England and Wales in 2021, 49.6 million (83.2%) were born in the UK and 10.0 million (16.8%) were born outside the UK. This means that about one in six people in England and Wales were born outside the UK. The size of the non-UK born population has risen since 2011, when it was 7.5 million (13.4%).

Those born in the European Union (EU) made up 3.6 million (36.4% of all non-UK born usual residents) of the population, an increase from 2.5 million (32.7%) in 2011 (including Croatia, who joined the EU in 2013). The remaining 6.4 million (63.6%) were born outside the EU, up from 5.1 million (67.3%) in 2011.
You forgot to mention the most important 80,000

Borchester

Algerie Francais !

Scott777

Quote from: Borchester on November 03, 2022, 10:11:57 AM
Admittedly children cost a fortune, and the little buggers are strangely addictive

You're not supposed to eat them whole.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on November 03, 2022, 10:11:57 AM
Then you should get stuck in Pappy. Admittedly children cost a fortune, but it is fun making them and the little buggers are strangely addictive
The population needs to be decreased over time not increased.  The fact I have no children is down to my personal decision because the overpopulation problem was obvious to me 63 years ago.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on November 03, 2022, 09:42:42 AM
This does not look like controlling immigration to me:-

More at link:-

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/internationalmigration/bulletins/internationalmigrationenglandandwales/census2021#:~:text=Out%20of%20the%2059.6%20million,were%20born%20outside%20the%20UK.

Out of the 59.6 million usual residents in England and Wales in 2021, 49.6 million (83.2%) were born in the UK and 10.0 million (16.8%) were born outside the UK. This means that about one in six people in England and Wales were born outside the UK. The size of the non-UK born population has risen since 2011, when it was 7.5 million (13.4%).

Those born in the European Union (EU) made up 3.6 million (36.4% of all non-UK born usual residents) of the population, an increase from 2.5 million (32.7%) in 2011 (including Croatia, who joined the EU in 2013). The remaining 6.4 million (63.6%) were born outside the EU, up from 5.1 million (67.3%) in 2011.

Then you should get stuck in Pappy. Admittedly children cost a fortune, but it is fun making them and the little buggers are strangely addictive
Algerie Francais !