Does anyone have any plans for bonfire night?

Started by Borchester, November 03, 2022, 01:51:10 PM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Ive decided , well she has that we are going out for a curry followed by beers and dancing  . 

I know , I know Ive told her but she insists 

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on November 04, 2022, 01:05:26 PM
Frankly I though everyone knew it:-

https://www.parliament.uk/about/living-heritage/evolutionofparliament/parliamentwork/offices-and-ceremonies/collections/state-opening/lgc36-fol-35/
But your link confirms what I remembered...

An official search of the Palace of Westminster's cellars takes place every year before the State Opening, as a reminder of the Gunpowder Plot of November 1605.
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: Barry on November 04, 2022, 10:29:50 AM
The weather forecast is for a lot of wet stuff, can they do fireworks in the rain? Might be cancelled.
I had to look up Le Chameau - ;D
DId it make your eyes water? lol
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on November 04, 2022, 12:40:16 PM
You're probably correct, but a link would confirm it.

All I remember from reading about the 1605 plot, links the subsequent searches of the Palace of Westminster's cellars to the state opening of Parliament, and not the annual date of the original offence...
Frankly I though everyone knew it:-

https://www.parliament.uk/about/living-heritage/evolutionofparliament/parliamentwork/offices-and-ceremonies/collections/state-opening/lgc36-fol-35/
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on November 04, 2022, 08:29:39 AM
There is always a search of the cellars on November the 5th.
You're probably correct, but a link would confirm it.

All I remember from reading about the 1605 plot, links the subsequent searches of the Palace of Westminster's cellars to the state opening of Parliament, and not the annual date of the original offence...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Barry

Quote from: Nick on November 03, 2022, 04:22:16 PM
Stick your Le Chameau's on, you'll be reet as a bobbin. 😜
The weather forecast is for a lot of wet stuff, can they do fireworks in the rain? Might be cancelled.
I had to look up Le Chameau - ;D
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on November 03, 2022, 05:05:07 PM
This year there might be another search of the cellars 
There is always a search of the cellars on November the 5th.

srb7677

Am working ten hours that day and won't get home til 9 but expect to see numerous flashes, bangs, and wallops on the way home. But not intending to do anything special.

Fact is, firework displays don't interest me all that much at my age. But I can remember getting very excited about them when I was a kid. If I had kids today I would make some sort of effort for their benefit but I don't.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

patman post

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 03, 2022, 02:42:14 PM
I might go up to Westminster but then again it might be a bit crowded
This year there might be another search of the cellars — not only because of dissatisfaction with the governments and the current unrest — because the last search was led by a female for the first time...

Nick

Quote from: Barry on November 03, 2022, 03:28:39 PM
There's a display in Tunbridge Wells being run by the "Colonel Blimp Blue Rinse and NIMBY club" and we've paid a tenner each to attend with the family.
With the recent rain, it might be a bit muddy, but who cares?
Stick your Le Chameau's on, you'll be reet as a bobbin. 😜 

Barry

There's a display in Tunbridge Wells being run by the "Colonel Blimp Blue Rinse and NIMBY club" and we've paid a tenner each to attend with the family.
With the recent rain, it might be a bit muddy, but who cares?
† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

I might go up to Westminster but then again it might be a bit crowded 

papasmurf

No plans at all, this is too far away to travel to:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-63482510

An effigy of Liz Truss has been unveiled as the Guy of the Edenbridge Bonfire as the event returns for the first time since 2019.
The 11ft (3m) high figure of the former prime minister will be lit on Saturday.
The Edenbridge Bonfire Society has poked fun at celebrities and political leaders for more than 20 years.

Nick

Quote from: Borchester on November 03, 2022, 01:51:10 PM
The local council are providing sod all because they hate to see people having fun, but a few of us will be having a bit of a do at the allotment. We have some fireworks and empty gas cylinders to act as bangers. My boy is fixing the fairy lights and lanterns, the Somalis and East Europeans are providing the kids and the womenfolk will be arranging the food. No guy because a couple of the other plot holders are Irish and left footers when they feel like having a whinge, but even so, it should be fun.

How about you folk?
It's a Saturday night with Sunday my only day off so will be having a few sherbets interspersed with a couple of Wodka's 

Borchester

The local council are providing sod all because they hate to see people having fun, but a few of us will be having a bit of a do at the allotment. We have some fireworks and empty gas cylinders to act as bangers. My boy is fixing the fairy lights and lanterns, the Somalis and East Europeans are providing the kids and the womenfolk will be arranging the food. No guy because a couple of the other plot holders are Irish and left footers when they feel like having a whinge, but even so, it should be fun.

How about you folk?
Algerie Francais !