Main Menu

Scrap rule 2.5?

Started by Barry, November 09, 2022, 04:31:29 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on November 10, 2022, 10:57:45 AM
You really must be joking.
You know where the door is. An if it wasn't for my good nature you'd have been on a permanent ban years ago.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

srb7677

I think your problem is that you are oversensitive and tend to overreact at any hint of a slur

Because of this, people know that they can bait you very easily and that it doesn't take very much to set you off. And because of that a few people seem to delight in doing so all the time.

I myself am more than capable of overreacting and storming off in a huff so I may be a fine one to talk, but even I think you could do with developing a thicker skin.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

cromwell

I knew we could rely on you for total support Smurf as you never disrupt or cause problems

(uncrosses fingers ) 
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: srb7677 on November 10, 2022, 09:57:47 AM
 this place is well run and administered. Better in that respect than any other forum I have tried.

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on November 10, 2022, 09:31:33 AM
Then you'd be wrong,it has happened on more than one occasion and Nick has been ok with it.

Modding isn't an exact science you need to look see and do what you think best which usually finds one or more unhappy and complaining.

If you don't on some sort of power trip you're crazy, tbh doing it at all isn't fun there's always someone thinks you're a **** :P
I don't think you are a ****. I just thought saying it was the shortest route to a ban. lol

I do understand that whatever you do in such circumstances there will always be someone who thinks you are wrong.

Which I am sure can be a thankless task.

But this is my preferred forum, which tells you something or ought to. Occasional disagreements notwithstanding, this place is well run and administered. Better in that respect than any other forum I have tried.

I can't guarantee that I won't throw the occasional wobbly though, if I ever think I have been treated unfairly. It's just a part of my character I'm afraid. I may on such occasions storm off in a huff, perhaps even vowing never to return, but after a cooling off period of days or sometimes weeks I generally come back, apologising when and where I feel it necessary.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

cromwell

Quote from: srb7677 on November 10, 2022, 09:22:24 AM
I acknowledge that it is the challenges of others that kept it going.

Similar has happened to me in the past as I made a tangential point and got repeatedly challenged by others. It is natural to respond to challenges if you think you are right or have a good point. But this can and does lead to apparent de facto thread derailment.

Lat time this happened to me though Cromwell decided enough was enough and rocked up deleting my latest posts, preventing me from responding to or challenging what I regarded as a blatantly dishonest post by someone else whilst leaving that post unchallenged and undeleted. I recall throwing a wobbly and storming off for a few months, lol

I fully accept that he does not have the authority to do the same to you, though clearly the rule is enforced with others once the tangent takes over the thread.
Then you'd be wrong,it has happened on more than one occasion and Nick has been ok with it.

Modding isn't an exact science you need to look see and do what you think best which usually finds one or more unhappy and complaining.

If you do it on some sort of power trip you're crazy, tbh doing it at all isn't fun there's always someone thinks you're a **** :P

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on November 09, 2022, 08:00:01 PM
When at home, I live in a home with my wife, 3 girls from 25 to 17 and my boy of 19 in the middle. What ever I say I'm either disrespectful, racist, misogynistic or homophobic to them. I don't like Rylan, they call me homophobic, until I point out I like Alan Carr, Sam Smiths music and Graham Norton. I've defended my position on two points to 4 different people, that's 8 responses. Same with the soldiers thing, I've defended my position to you, Smurf and PP at least 4 times each, that's 12 posts but you just see me prattling on. Capisci?
I acknowledge that it is the challenges of others that kept it going.

Similar has happened to me in the past as I made a tangential point and got repeatedly challenged by others. It is natural to respond to challenges if you think you are right or have a good point. But this can and does lead to apparent de facto thread derailment if the tangential point becomes the domimant and prolonged subject of discussion.

Last time this happened to me though Cromwell decided enough was enough and rocked up deleting my latest posts - with a request to get back on topic - preventing me from responding to or challenging what I regarded as a blatantly dishonest post by someone else whilst leaving that equally tangential post unchallenged and undeleted. I recall throwing a wobbly and storming off for a few months, lol

I fully accept that he does not have the authority to do the same to you, though clearly the rule is enforced with others once the tangent takes over the thread.

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on November 09, 2022, 07:34:19 PM
We all go off on tangents sometimes and Nicks bringing of soldiers into it by way of comparison with nurses was as valid a tangent as any other.

But upon reflection, the main issue for me is how prolonged a discussion this tangent became to the exclusion of the actual main topic. And many others were complicit in that. Normally under such circumstances a mod steps in at some point to drag the thread back on topic. Tangential points are valid but when the tangent hijacks the topic in a prolonged way then it is an issue in my view.

On a personal level, whilst he and I disagree often on politics, I respect Nick for all the work he does keeping this forum going. I suppose because he owns it he can do what he likes. But prolonged thread derailment remains an unfortunate thing in my opinion
When at home, I live in a home with my wife, 3 girls from 25 to 17 and my boy of 19 in the middle. What ever I say I'm either disrespectful, racist, misogynistic or homophobic to them. I don't like Rylan, they call me homophobic, until I point out I like Alan Carr, Sam Smiths music and Graham Norton. I've defended my position on two points to 4 different people, that's 8 responses. Same with the soldiers thing, I've defended my position to you, Smurf and PP at least 4 times each, that's 12 posts but you just see me prattling on. Capisci?

Barry

† The end is nigh †

Nick

Quote from: Barry on November 09, 2022, 07:38:17 PM
Topics can be split out, but I can see why mods are reluctant to do it because:
A) It a a bit clunky to do and a pain in the butt
B) Some posts cover both the main topic and then are difficult to move or copy.

Cromwell knows that my OP is very tongue in cheek. :P
But which cheeks is your tongue in? 

Barry

Topics can be split out, but I can see why mods are reluctant to do it because:
A) It a a bit clunky to do and a pain in the butt
B) Some posts cover both the main topic and then are difficult to move or copy.

Cromwell knows that my OP is very tongue in cheek. :P
† The end is nigh †

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on November 09, 2022, 07:00:45 PM
I should add too Baz was the previous owner and as with Nick we didn't always see eye to eye but he put a lot of hard work in too and but for him this place wouldn't be here.
I for one never knew that. Respect to Barry for that.

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on November 09, 2022, 06:49:17 PM
As a mod/member my thoughts we are in a position where as mods we are damned whatever we do.

Borky might be surprised but as things stand now I agree with him.

Political forums are shrinking by number do we ditch all the rules? I think not but we are at some sort of crossroads so perhaps we should put this to the vote of long term members.

Regarding Nick I look and see he's coming in for some unfair criticism imo,ask him we don't always see eye to eye and I speak my mind and we openly disagree from time to time but he owns and runs this place for free to us and has put in a lot of work to make it as it is if you want to criticise ok but remember we are here for free and whatever comes or goes it's somewhere to air your thoughts and not a bad place to do so.

Make of that what you will.
We all go off on tangents sometimes and Nicks bringing of soldiers into it by way of comparison with nurses was as valid a tangent as any other.

But upon reflection, the main issue for me is how prolonged a discussion this tangent became to the exclusion of the actual main topic. And many others were complicit in that. Normally under such circumstances a mod steps in at some point to drag the thread back on topic. Tangential points are valid but when the tangent hijacks the topic in a prolonged way then it is an issue in my view.

On a personal level, whilst he and I disagree often on politics, I respect Nick for all the work he does keeping this forum going. I suppose because he owns it he can do what he likes. But prolonged thread derailment remains an unfortunate thing in my opinion

Barry

Quote from: Nick on November 09, 2022, 06:25:26 PM
Threads get detailed on a daily basis by Remoaners.

Saw a dead cat at the side of the road today. That's Brexit for ya.
My local farmer put 15p on a pint of milk last week. That's Brexit for ya.
Couldn't get any of my non-patent drugs that come from the US. That's Brexit fir ya.

And your failure to understand what I meant by commitment shows your thought pattern only points in one direction.
I noticed the Smurf is thanking a lot of your posts, Nick. He probably means to quote you.
This is probably off topic, but who gives a flying one?
Any updates on nurses getting shot in the arm in Belize? lol
† The end is nigh †

cromwell

I should add too Baz was the previous owner and as with Nick we didn't always see eye to eye but he put a lot of hard work in too and but for him this place wouldn't be here.