Optimist or Pessimist?

Started by T00ts, November 11, 2022, 01:59:10 PM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

I dont know , Im probably a realist with optimism 

HDQQ

Quote from: T00ts on November 11, 2022, 01:59:10 PM
What is the obsession with bad news? Everywhere I look it's all gloom and doom and even here apart from our resident clown who manages the odd light hearted comment on current affairs it mostly seems like a competition to predict dire consequences.

So come on - are you an optimist or a pessimist? Are you renowned for your upbeat view of life and the big smile on your face or are you the local curmudgeon?
All the news is bad these days. Even Ukrainian forces regaining territory is only relatively good news because Russia's Putin regime should never have invaded Ukraine in the first place.

I'm generally a pessimist by nature. If you're a pessimist, then you're pleasantly surprised when things don't turn out as bad as you expected. If you're an optimist then things will often turn out worse than you anticipated and you'll end up feeling miserable.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Nick

Quote from: Baff on November 13, 2022, 10:09:43 AM
Depends on the subject matter.
Mostly optimist.

I tend to rebrand my pessimisms as cynicisms.
Glass half full or half empty, I'm an engineer, the glass isn't the right size for the amount of liquid available 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Baff

Depends on the subject matter.
Mostly optimist.

I tend to rebrand my pessimisms as cynicisms.

Barry

I'm a serious sort of chap, but I like to look on the bright side.
For instance, this energy crisis and cost of living thing has so far given us £150 from the council, £500 coal allowance as Borky calls it, and £400 in instalments off energy bills. Out of that £1050, I reckon we've actually spent £50 extra on energy.
The war in Ukraine looks as if it is on the ebb, so that should cheer some people up.
41% of scientists reckon climate change will not significantly affect mankind.
Now, all we need to do is get people to understand what male and female mean, sort out their plan for eternity, and the whole of the UK will be tickety-boo.

† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on November 11, 2022, 02:04:36 PM
Personally I think Uncle Mort and Victor Meldrew were far too cheerful.
So that puts you in the pessimist camp does it?

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on November 11, 2022, 01:59:10 PM
What is the obsession with bad news? Everywhere I look it's all gloom and doom and even here apart from our resident clown who manages the odd light hearted comment on current affairs it mostly seems like a competition to predict dire consequences.

So come on - are you an optimist or a pessimist? Are you renowned for your upbeat view of life and the big smile on your face or are you the local curmudgeon?
Personally I think Uncle Mort and Victor Meldrew were far too cheerful.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts