What if no one needed a passport?

Started by Barry, November 13, 2022, 09:57:07 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on November 17, 2022, 09:45:26 AM
He was kidding.

Folk who like ID cards aren't vexatious, just sad.
He was not kidding he was very serious.  The Tory government has become very touchy especially when they are proven wrong by using their own datasets.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on November 17, 2022, 08:23:52 AM
A few years ago, a Tory MP during a debate in the House of Commons called people like me "A sinister vexatious minority." (I came close to having that printed on a T-shirt.)

He was kidding.

Folk who like ID cards aren't vexatious, just sad.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Red Rackham on November 17, 2022, 03:37:04 AM
The government like people like you.
A few years ago, a Tory MP during a debate in the House of Commons called people like me "A sinister vexatious minority." (I came close to having that printed on a T-shirt.)

Red Rackham

Quote from: papasmurf on November 14, 2022, 08:27:07 AM
When my wife and I did have ID cards, (Only to be shown to a police officer/MOD police officer in uniform.) They came in very useful several times.
Personally I would love an ID card. Locally because mobile phone signal are either poor or non existent. For emergency situations I would like a satellite tracker.  (However the last time I checked they cost £36 a month.)
The government like people like you.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Barry on November 14, 2022, 03:04:45 PM
No I am not. I said "What if?". OK, no passport is probably impractical, but it doesn't hurt to think outside the box now and again.
And, nowhere did I say we don't check people. We can strip search and Xray the whole lot of them with their luggage. (We already do so, covertly in some places).
Sorry Barry I just dont think you can suggest ''what if ?'' and then not accept the answer . So now your saying we strip search and x-ray everyone coming into the country . 

That wont go down well with the girls coming back from Benidorm . Just keep passports and send anyone we dont want   packing .  People entitled to come in walk through without having to get their kit off ;D Butt Kick

Barry

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 14, 2022, 01:01:23 PM
True . There is also the issue of illegal products ,without checking people we would see drugs , firearms and diseases being taken across borders . What Barry is actually suggesting is that we join Schengen Union Flag
No I am not. I said "What if?". OK, no passport is probably impractical, but it doesn't hurt to think outside the box now and again.
And, nowhere did I say we don't check people. We can strip search and Xray the whole lot of them with their luggage. (We already do so, covertly in some places). 
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 14, 2022, 01:01:23 PM
True . There is also the issue of illegal products ,without checking people we would see drugs , firearms and deseases being taken across borders . What Barry is actually sugesting is that we join Schengun Union Flag
Too late they already are, bringing diphtheria into Britain.

https://news.sky.com/story/migrants-at-manston-to-be-vaccinated-against-diphtheria-following-spike-in-infections-12745200

Saturday 12 November 2022 17:07, UK

Thousands of migrants passing through the Manston processing centre will be vaccinated against diphtheria after dozens of cases of the highly contagious disease were confirmed in England, health authorities have said.

The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) said it is moving with the Home Office to vaccinate migrants at the centre after it revealed on Friday that 39 diphtheria cases had been identified in asylum seekers in England in 2022 as of 10 November.

The UKHSA warned accommodation settings should be considered "high-risk for infectious diseases".

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on November 14, 2022, 11:54:57 AM
Not practical in a few weeks Albania would be empty of young men and they would be in Britain, along with  millions from other countries.
True . There is also the issue of illegal products ,without checking people we would see drugs , firearms and deseases being taken across borders . What Barry is actually sugesting is that we join Schengun 
Quote from: Streetwalker on November 14, 2022, 09:39:24 AM
How are you going to sort out who is English from the rest ? 
Union Flag

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on November 14, 2022, 09:54:01 AM

My OP was trying to get over the idea of society being able to move freely between countries.
Not practical in a few weeks Albania would be empty of young men and they would be in Britain, along with  millions from other countries.

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on November 14, 2022, 08:27:07 AM
When my wife and I did have ID cards, (Only to be shown to a police officer/MOD police officer in uniform.) They came in very useful several times.
Personally I would love an ID card. Locally because mobile phone signal are either poor or non existent. For emergency situations I would like a satellite tracker.  (However the last time I checked they cost £36 a month.)
For 20 years I worked in a job which required the carrying of an ID card. I never felt that it impinged upon my rights and I actually thought it empowered me, in a way, by validating my position.
I thing RR has a point that non British citizens should carry an ID card, however, in most cases, that should be their passport.

My OP was trying to get over the idea of society being able to move freely between countries. (Definitely not just the EU), and be accepted as the wider humanity that we are. However, we can't turn the clock back. I can see our mobile phones being used as digital ID worldwide in the future, but I don't relish the thought. Far too easy for the state to turn off your ability to travel, etc. if they don't like you!
† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

Quote from: Red Rackham on November 14, 2022, 03:40:44 AM
Thing is, none of the forms of ID you mention are compulsory. As someone recently said on another forum, all foreigners should carry ID. And I agree. As for the rest of us, as Cecil Rhodes said; to be born an Englishman is to will first prize in the lottery of life. As such, an Englishman should not need 'ID' in England.

LOL, I can hear outraged lefties going into meltdown.
How are you going to sort out who is English from the rest ?  

papasmurf

When my wife and I did have ID cards, (Only to be shown to a police officer/MOD police officer in uniform.) They came in very useful several times.

Red Rackham

Quote from: Barry on November 13, 2022, 09:57:07 AM
Before WW1 identity cards, papers or passports were not issued to many people at all. People did not need them and were able to travel freely.
There were times when people could travel freely from country to country, staying for as short or as long a time as they wished.

What if we returned to that situation? Would it be chaos.

On a personal level, I have three forms of ID with my photograph on them, passport, driving licence and bus pass.
I have other forms of ID without a photograph, such as a Debit/Credit card and membership cards.

Which direction do we want to move in? Towards less identification and allow anyone to go anywhere? Towards more identification?
As I already have 3 forms of government photo ID, I don't see any need for me to have a separate ID card.

Any thoughts?
Thing is, none of the forms of ID you mention are compulsory. As someone recently said on another forum, all foreigners should carry ID. And I agree. As for the rest of us, as Cecil Rhodes said; to be born an Englishman is to will first prize in the lottery of life. As such, an Englishman should not need 'ID' in England. 

LOL, I can hear outraged lefties going into meltdown.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Barry on November 13, 2022, 09:57:07 AM
Before WW1 identity cards, papers or passports were not issued to many people at all. People did not need them and were able to travel freely.
There were times when people could travel freely from country to country, staying for as short or as long a time as they wished.

What if we returned to that situation? Would it be chaos.

On a personal level, I have three forms of ID with my photograph on them, passport, driving licence and bus pass.
I have other forms of ID without a photograph, such as a Debit/Credit card and membership cards.

Which direction do we want to move in? Towards less identification and allow anyone to go anywhere? Towards more identification?
As I already have 3 forms of government photo ID, I don't see any need for me to have a separate ID card.

Any thoughts?
People did travel freely but nearly all stayed in the town or city they were born . With millions looking to up sticks and seek a life elswhere there has to be some control of who's who and who's where with passport entry at borders .

Once legal entry has been achieved I see no need for ID cards for the population , I would refuse to carry one 

cromwell

Quote from: Barry on November 13, 2022, 03:23:31 PM
You've already got one for a driving licence, haven't you, with a mugshot? I know you don't have to carry, it, though.

What if you didn't need a passport to go on holiday, wouldn't that be more freedom?
Not gone abroad for a few years now,Brits do have a healthy disrespect for authority which is not always a bad thing.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?