Main Menu

Are you offended?

Started by cromwell, November 16, 2022, 03:40:12 PM

« previous - next »

Red Rackham

Quote from: cromwell on November 16, 2022, 03:40:12 PM
I've seen this several times because it's in my part of the world.

First time I laughed as did my oh who also said it's a bit rude,the advert on the billboard now been deemed offensive and must be removed,there's a hand car wash not that far away that boasts in large letters the best hand job in the north west and that may be their next target.

Are you offended by either (I'm not)
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11434825/Grass-firm-ordered-remove-advert-model-wearing-thong-watchdog-rules-objectified-women.html
I suppose it boils down to one of two things. Are you a normal happy moderately intelligent person, or an angry outraged lefty who desperately seeks offence? I suspect the majority of people are the former group, while the latter group although much smaller, are usually more vociferous and aggressive.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on November 16, 2022, 05:33:40 PM
You must read it regularly to have such a comprehensive knowledge of its content.
I don't read it at all if I can help it. 
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

No, I'm not offended. I wonder what the make up of the ASA committee is.
Women or men, Muslims or Christians,  etc?
Pathetic twerps, whoever they are. 
† The end is nigh †

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on November 16, 2022, 05:30:36 PM
I worked in a hospital in the 70s and the nurses would pinch our bums.
Upon graduation I was handed the job (sorry, financial opportunity) of holding various seminars and practical classes. For one such the prof, a dragon of a woman who taught me more in ten minutes about women in science that any woke arse could in a year today, told me she had something special to sort out.

She hauled Moira over from the Welsh office, fetched my colleague's wife over from the chemistry dept and marched with the four of us into her medical and dental students group. Each had a harem of girls who thought themselves gods gift to men . And by god they were.

and her words to both sets of vixens was 'I'd like to introduce you to John and Mike your tutors for the next year. And Moira and Diane the wives they look forward to going home to....". And then she took all four of us to the bar.....

Physiology and Pharmacy had problems with that little cabal.

We never did. They knew when they were outgunned.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

First time I laughed as did my oh who also said it's a bit rude,the advert on the billboard now been deemed offensive and must be removed,there's a hand car wash not that far away that boasts in large letters the best hand job in the north west and that may be their next target.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11434825/Grass-firm-ordered-remove-advert-model-wearing-thong-watchdog-rules-objectified-women.html
The catalogue that came from the London Brick Company to Wimpey Homes in 1982 described the materials that went into the outside skin of our home as beautifully made and easily laid.

And had a picture of a collection of such bricks with Nina Whateverhernamewas from the Suns page 3 spread across them wearing rather less than said model.

The girls who worked for me at Ferranti were a bit hacked off at the pendulous tits on tbe calendars some of the bosses above me had on the walls. To which I said well it's not as if you're working in the office concerned have you not got access to something more your way of thinking.

I remember to this day the look on one elfin maiden whose name shall remain unsaid when Michaela the PA I shared with two others and Sian the Goth Programmer rocked up with this A3 full glossy of hot fit sweaty men.

July 1985's Tarzan was probably the limit if the jungle creeper in his hands was a tenth of an inch thinner the calendar would have been done under the obscene publications act.

But no members of the public came to my office and the (female) navy officers that called in occasionally asked my staff where they got said calendar ....

only one bloke made a comment. He looked at me in a sort of contempt and said wasn't I alarmed by my staff's choice in wall calendars.

"Not at all" I said. I'd pose for July myself but they'd need a much thicker vine.

"they would, too" piped up 'R' the said elfin virgin lookalike.

"oh god" I said "you were on Boxer when that oil leak got me, weren't you"

she was too.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Streetwalker

No , its an advert if a not very good one (the pose is all wrong )  . I was actually expecting (as toots alluded ) a bloke in a tong not a girl in a pair of  knickers .
 Thats not a thong trust me I know about these things ;)

I suppose those who are offended are those who see no enjoyment in life only pain and unfourtunately we are all the worse off for it as we fall in line behind their view of the world .

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on November 16, 2022, 04:38:00 PM
With the salacious crap the DM has in every issue, I am surprised they even bothered with the story.
You must read it regularly to have such a comprehensive knowledge of its content.

Borchester

Quote from: srb7677 on November 16, 2022, 03:57:39 PM
As someone who grew up in the 70s and came of age in the 80s, this seems very tame compared to what they got away with back then.

Doctors pinching nurses' arses in daytime soaps (Angels), bikini clad contestants in beauty contests, page 3 in the Sun, nude calendars on workplace walls, overtly racist or sexist humour on mainstream TV. Builders wolf whistling at passing women. Etc.

So no, I am not offended. But I also recognise that times change, and public morality moves on. And that women in particular might have grown up in an environment where any form of objectification of them is considered unacceptable and sexist, rather than something to be just laughed off and accepted as the way things are - as used to be the case.

As time goes by and public morality changes and evolves, there is always the danger of us feeling ever more out of step with it as we grow old. There is inevitably a tendency to think some aspects of public morality have gotten a lot worse whilst others have gotten a bit silly and excessive, mostly because it is different from what we grew up with and came of age into.

I try to move with the times when it comes to evolving public morality, and so am reluctant to dismiss it as in any way silly. Women today don't like to see other women being objectified, and - as long as they don't do the same themselves to men - I think we should just respect that.
I worked in a hospital in the 70s and the nurses would pinch our bums.

If we were lucky.

Whenever anyone says they are offended by one of my remarks I either reply, well, who isn't? or, if I am feeling particularly witty, F@@@ off
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

With the salacious crap the DM has in every issue, I am surprised they even bothered with the story.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Like most of these kinds of things in life, it's the woke brigade getting offended on someone else's behalf that annoys me. I know it only too well, I've got two of my daughters that are prime examples. But they never say a word about Grid and Ring girls, they always watched MotoGP and Boxing with me growing up. Go figure!

Wouldn't be surprised if the owner has a mate on the council that's fine it for him, best advertising they can get and for free. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

T00ts

I have just one question - why wasn't a man lying on the grass?  It's a cunning play on words and no it doesn't offend so much. Actually those red blooded males who like their women portrayed thus had better make the most of it because some are fast eradicating women.

srb7677

As someone who grew up in the 70s and came of age in the 80s, this seems very tame compared to what they got away with back then. 

Doctors pinching nurses' arses in daytime soaps (Angels), bikini clad contestants in beauty contests, page 3 in the Sun, nude calendars on workplace walls, overtly racist or sexist humour on mainstream TV. Builders wolf whistling at passing women. Etc.

So no, I am not offended. But I also recognise that times change, and public morality moves on. And that women in particular might have grown up in an environment where any form of objectification of them is considered unacceptable and sexist, rather than something to be just laughed off and accepted as the way things are - as used to be the case. 

As time goes by and public morality changes and evolves, there is always the danger of us feeling ever more out of step with it as we grow old. There is inevitably a tendency to think some aspects of public morality have gotten a lot worse whilst others have gotten a bit silly and excessive, mostly because it is different from what we grew up with and came of age into.

I try to move with the times when it comes to evolving public morality, and so am reluctant to dismiss it as in any way silly. Women today don't like to see other women being objectified, and - as long as they don't do the same themselves to men - I think we should just respect that.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

cromwell

First time I laughed as did my oh who also said it's a bit rude,the advert on the billboard now been deemed offensive and must be removed,there's a hand car wash not that far away that boasts in large letters the best hand job in the north west and that may be their next target.

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?