Just gotten out of bed and made a pot of coffee

Started by Borchester, November 20, 2022, 10:32:31 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: johnofgwent on November 27, 2022, 06:22:08 PM
I'll ask Keith next week. They will know, I am sure.

the only Blue Mountain coffee I've ever heard of comes from Jamaica and is harvested from a particular geographic area.
Could be Jamaica, knew it was one of the Caribbean countries and I've only been to 2, Colombia and Jamaica lol 

EDIT

3, but not sure Venezuela is famous for coffee. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on November 27, 2022, 09:57:18 AM
There is a similar one in Colombia, Blue Mountain or something like that.
I'll ask Keith next week. They will know, I am sure.

the only Blue Mountain coffee I've ever heard of comes from Jamaica and is harvested from a particular geographic area.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

Quote from: Borchester on November 27, 2022, 03:24:16 PM
True, but eating out is largely about harmless snobbery. After all, when you are out with Mrs B, do you look at the bill? Of course you don't.
How little you know us. Mrs. B would be looking at the bill. It's one of her favourite hobbies, reading bills.
And if there was a £60 coffee on it, she would probably ask if it was gold plated.
† The end is nigh †

Borchester

Quote from: Barry on November 27, 2022, 02:44:40 PM
Why anyone would want to buy that, other than some form of food snobbery, is a mystery.

True, but eating out is largely about harmless snobbery. After all, when you are out with Mrs B, do you look at the bill? Of course you don't.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on November 27, 2022, 02:44:40 PM
Why anyone would want to buy that, other than some form of food snobbery, is a mystery.
Precisely my point.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on November 26, 2022, 08:45:47 AM
Anyone care to explain why some people pay £40 a cup for cat poo coffee?
Do you have a link showing this behaviour?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borchester

Quote from: johnofgwent on November 26, 2022, 09:16:00 AM
"Anyone care to explain why some people pay £40 a cup for cat poo coffee?"

I know of the stuff and i do not know.

At a biochemical level i know why the water temperature is a defining factor to a tenth of a degree farenheit, more so to those who can roll their tongue, but I'm not remotely convinced i would want to try that stuff.

I met some right wierdos in my freelancng years but none wierder than a chap called julian at my first contract at Barclays. He would vanish after lunch for more than an hour, but since we were not on fixed hours, and we could work wen we liked, nobody cared much. I did ask him where he went and he said he had found a coffee shop where the machine was set to a temperature (let's call it ninety six point four centigrade as i do not recall the actual value now)

I asked if that really mattered and gt a lecture on fractional distillation that shamed me as a biochemist because I REALLY should have known.

At this temperature the heated water passing over the beans ground to a particular consistency extracted the absolute maximum of what it was that made coffee what it was, with the absolute minimum of the nasty filthy bitter tannin that wrecks the taste.

Now this is serious coffee nut stuff there's no way i am paying a grand and a half for a domestic machine that can do that.

But they do have such a machine in the office and NEXT time i am there I am going to bring a bag of jamaican blue mountain from Keiths of Cirencester and I am reasonably certain I will be as popular as a 10% pay rise.

Coming back to the cat poo coffee, I assume, and it is merely a wild guess, that the feline digestive system is posessed of something that can perform a destructive action on the elements within a coffee bean that ruin the taste.

I have to say coming back to my former profession I feel that by now i would have found a way to cultivate that process in the equivalent of one of my "hydroponic" rigs we used to keep isolated cells going and be a bloody millionaire even if i had to sell the coffee on the dark web

As a rider to the above, coffee beans are really the pips of a very sweet berry. A Somali friend once explained that when she was a child she would eat the berries and spit out the pips, which would then be ground up and made into coffee. Using cats and goats provides a bit more street creed, but has the same effect.

:)

Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

"Anyone care to explain why some people pay £40 a cup for cat poo coffee?"

I know of the stuff and i do not know.

At a biochemical level i know why the water temperature is a defining factor to a tenth of a degree farenheit, more so to those who can roll their tongue, but I'm not remotely convinced i would want to try that stuff.

I met some right wierdos in my freelancng years but none wierder than a chap called julian at my first contract at Barclays. He would vanish after lunch for more than an hour, but since we were not on fixed hours, and we could work wen we liked, nobody cared much. I did ask him where he went and he said he had found a coffee shop where the machine was set to a temperature (let's call it ninety six point four centigrade as i do not recall the actual value now)

I asked if that really mattered and gt a lecture on fractional distillation that shamed me as a biochemist because I REALLY should have known.

At this temperature the heated water passing over the beans ground to a particular consistency extracted the absolute maximum of what it was that made coffee what it was, with the absolute minimum of the nasty filthy bitter tannin that wrecks the taste.

Now this is serious coffee nut stuff there's no way i am paying a grand and a half for a domestic machine that can do that.

But they do have such a machine in the office and NEXT time i am there I am going to bring a bag of jamaican blue mountain from Keiths of Cirencester and I am reasonably certain I will be as popular as a 10% pay rise.

Coming back to the cat poo coffee, I assume, and it is merely a wild guess, that the feline digestive system is posessed of something that can perform a destructive action on the elements within a coffee bean that ruin the taste.

I have to say coming back to my former profession I feel that by now i would have found a way to cultivate that process in the equivalent of one of my "hydroponic" rigs we used to keep isolated cells going and be a bloody millionaire even if i had to sell the coffee on the dark web
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on November 26, 2022, 01:03:20 AM
Anyway, back to the coffee

Anyone care to explain why some people pay £40 a cup for cat poo coffee?
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Anyway, back to the coffee 

Martin wossisname of money saving expert fame cautions all against Black Friday impulse buying, but one of those filter things with a glass jug under a filter paper holder which I bought at the start of the Chinese pox for about £20 before Twatford shut all the shops deeming large retailers profiteers for selling underpants blew a wobbly last week. I now have a swanky gadget that brews me an expression from ground coffee, I remember mum and dad had one of these in the kitchen in the seventies but theirs cost an absolute arm and a leg and made coffee from whole beans mum bought roasted whole by a coffee merchant in St Mary Street Cardiff. 

My new gadget only does the last bit, running steaming hot water through powdered ground beans but very good it is and just over thirty quid from a town store selling off the stock.

I'll probably be up all night as I've drunk about three quarters of a pint of it's output, but it's rather good considering the starting material was little more than Aldi's so called select range.

Might have to plan a trip to Cirencester to have a mix ground by 'Keith'

T00ts

cromwell

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?