World Cup Thread.

Started by Nick, November 20, 2022, 12:57:18 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Wales out!! Oh how sad, never mind lol 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nick on September 13, 2023, 10:40:32 AM
Yep, missed the sending off. Piss-up and brewery come to mind.
The French have form in not being able to control large numbers of people

Nick

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 13, 2023, 09:55:44 AM
Im not a big enough fan of Rugby to watch anyone but England . Really smart play after going a man down  (I suppose you missed the sending off ) . Always good to stick one on the Argies whatever the sport but what I like about rugby is that they can knock seven bells out of each other for over an hour then seem as if it was just all great fun when its over , which of course  it was .
Yep, missed the sending off. Piss-up and brewery come to mind.

Streetwalker

Im not a big enough fan of Rugby to watch anyone but England . Really smart play after going a man down  (I suppose you missed the sending off ) . Always good to stick one on the Argies whatever the sport but what I like about rugby is that they can knock seven bells out of each other for over an hour then seem as if it was just all great fun when its over , which of course  it was . 

Nick

Apparently Wales can commit as many fouls as they like (17) in no time at all and get no yellow cards, Fiji would more than likely win that game if there was anything like consistent refereeing. 
Also 2 almost identical incidents involving a clash of heads yet only Curry gets a red card, the other two got nothing. 
I was at the England / Argentina game in Marseille and the organisation was a joke: got to the ground an hour and a quarter before the start and still missed kickoff. No signage, no stewards and the ground ran out of beer. At least the Jocks got turned over. 

Nick

Quote from: Streetwalker on December 20, 2022, 06:11:00 PM
Which was brilliant with some great capitancy from Ben Stokes ,quite fitting he was at the crease at the end .

The WC finals , now the dust has settled has brought up a few conspiracies with regard poor decisions against  teams that moaned about human rights and who broke the VAR for the final ? 

The  Qataries got the winners they wanted , Messi paraded in the  kings blanket with not even more revelations of bribery soiling the party .
Lets hope the WC never  gets played in the desert again
I usually flick between the Rugby and Cricket, football only when watching Bolton. 

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nick on December 20, 2022, 09:16:00 AM
Didn't watch any of it, but I did watch England beat Pakistan in a 3 nil series whitewash.
Which was brilliant with some great capitancy from Ben Stokes ,quite fitting he was at the crease at the end .

The WC finals , now the dust has settled has brought up a few conspiracies with regard poor decisions against  teams that moaned about human rights and who broke the VAR for the final ?  

The  Qataries got the winners they wanted , Messi paraded in the  kings blanket with not even more revelations of bribery soiling the party .
Lets hope the WC never  gets played in the desert again 

Nick

Quote from: Barry on December 18, 2022, 03:37:16 PM
I'm watching a world cup final where Argentina are beating France 2-0.
Trouble is, I don't really want either side to win. It's good to watch the talented players, though.
Didn't watch any of it, but I did watch England beat Pakistan in a 3 nil series whitewash. 

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on December 18, 2022, 03:37:16 PM
Trouble is, I don't really want either side to win. It's good to watch the talented players, though.
Me too!

Barry

† The end is nigh †

johnofgwent

Now I prefer Dave Allen's many, many sendups of this scenario but I couldn't resist nicking this ....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Streetwalker

Quote from: morayloon on December 12, 2022, 03:23:35 PM
So, once again England failed miserably. All the hype did not help one bit. The media whips the public into a frenzied, reverential state of mind where they actually believe that their country is the best in the world and will win the competition. Just setting themselves up to fail ... as always.
The galling part of the whole thing is that we have to sit through biased English commentary - we have bets on how soon 1966 will be mentioned and how often.
The pompous attitude sticks in the craw of most  Scots who react to the the English spouting 'we're the best' very negatively.
The overbearing, contemptuous dismissal of Morocco as a threat to England's road to the final was a thing to behold. The team who saw off Belgium, Spain & Portugal was seen as easy meat for mighty England. The only problem with this rabid optimism was that their team had to beat France and, despite being awarded two penalties they couldn't cut the mustard
Vive La France!
Dont worry loony they are increasing the World Cup to 48 teams next time to give Scotland the chance to qualify , you probably will still mess it up but never mind .
The UK will have the competition in about 40 years time and as you will still be part of the Union will qualify as co-hosts Union Flag

But yes , well dissapointed with the France game though not unexpected . We have weaknesses that get found out at the highest level . Being optomistic is part and parcel of being a fan , its the hope that kills you they say and we have had our fair share of that over the years .

T00ts

Quote from: morayloon on December 12, 2022, 03:23:35 PM
So, once again England failed miserably. All the hype did not help one bit. The media whips the public into a frenzied, reverential state of mind where they actually believe that their country is the best in the world and will win the competition. Just setting themselves up to fail ... as always.
The galling part of the whole thing is that we have to sit through biased English commentary - we have bets on how soon 1966 will be mentioned and how often.
The pompous attitude sticks in the craw of most  Scots who react to the the English spouting 'we're the best' very negatively.
The overbearing, contemptuous dismissal of Morocco as a threat to England's road to the final was a thing to behold. The team who saw off Belgium, Spain & Portugal was seen as easy meat for mighty England. The only problem with this rabid optimism was that their team had to beat France and, despite being awarded two penalties they couldn't cut the mustard
Vive La France!
Careful your hatred is showing!  :D

morayloon

Quote from: T00ts on December 05, 2022, 02:19:30 PM
I can't believe that I am the only one watching the competition, although I do draw the line at following Dishy at praising the job Qatar have done. So my question is for those footy boffins here. Will England beat France? I have real doubts and hope to be proved wrong.
The galling part of the whole thing is that we have to sit through biased English commentary - we have bets on how soon 1966 will be mentioned and how often.
The pompous attitude sticks in the craw of most  Scots who react to the the English spouting 'we're the best' very negatively.
Vive La France!

Streetwalker

Quote from: T00ts on December 05, 2022, 02:19:30 PM
I can't believe that I am the only one watching the competition, although I do draw the line at following Dishy at praising the job Qatar have done. So my question is for those footy boffins here. Will England beat France? I have real doubts and hope to be proved wrong.
The only thing that will stop England beating France and going on to win the World cup is Southgate . He tends to get all negative when faced with any credible opposition .

But we have by far the best side and anything but victory will be seen as a failure by me