Main Menu

OK then

Started by Nick, November 20, 2022, 06:27:56 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on November 20, 2022, 06:27:56 PM
A very big question.
Does anyone admit they are racist? You dislike someone because of the colour of their skin?
This is a concept I find very hard to believe, that the colour of someone's skin can be a focus of hate.
I was 18 and in a bar in Horwich (The Amsterdam bar) and 2 blokes told a Pakistan guy, who owned to corner shop next door, to go home and get out of their bar. I remember the vitriol in the voices and it upset me, I'd never seen hatred like that, and for what? I would be interested in others views and experiences.
Some may find it strange hearing this from me but no. I don't give a F@@@ what colour you are, or where you try to stick your genitals apart from in me or my kids.

I object very strongly to certain people of a certain ethnicity pulling a fast one with their race card. Like the corrupt shithead who ran the mosque at one end of town trying to get parking reserved outside his mosque on Friday for worshippers at his place while at the same time trying to destroy the existing two hour parking outside the Christian cathedral up the hill from his mosque. 

I objected to his antics and he called me a racist for it. He got thrown off their steering committee sometime after that.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Baff

I was 18 and in a bar in Horwich (The Amsterdam bar) and 2 blokes told a Pakistan guy, who owned to corner shop next door, to go home and get out of their bar. I remember the vitriol in the voices and it upset me, I'd never seen hatred like that, and for what? I would be interested in others views and experiences.

I've seen people being racially abused in such a way and it is unpleasant behaviour and I am likely to express my displeasure in this circumstance.

I have also seen it happen to people who have played the race card against me aggressively and been not only happy to let it pass, but pleased to see them abused in this way. I openly laughed. Expressed my approval.
Such is life.

Baff

I am as racist as the next guy.
I recognise racial stereotypes.

French are rude, black people are tall.
Japs are short and polite.

My dating preference is Asian.

Racist jokes are often funny.

Etc.

@Borchester, racially abuse my girlfriend, or indeed abuse her in any other manner whatsoever and you will find that I have not grown out of it.
Well within my trigger for violent response.
I somehow doubt she will be 100% impressed by this however. So I'll wait until she blinks.

Barry

I'm going to answer this as truthfully as I can.

When I went to school, yes, I can remember that far back, there were no black kids in the class at all. As time went on when I went to senior school we had one in the class, an academically bright chap who was called Quashie. At our school nearly all people were referred to by their surnames.
I got on well with him and discovered that he was from Aruba and had an interesting past. We were friends.

Now, inside, I don't feel like a racist as I know we are all equal in the sight of God, so who am I to judge?
But I do. I may or may not be racist, but I am certainly not colour blind. When meeting someone new, the first thing you see is their appearance, their dress, their hair, their demeanour and obviously their skin colour.
My upbringing, and the lack of black faces for the early years tended to instil in me a slight fear of black people, which is both irrational and disconcerting. My mind knows that in all people there are good and bad and we should never judge anyone by their skin colour.

I have been involved in interviewing scores of people over the last 7 years, for jobs in the NHS. One candidate we rejected was an Eastern European, who we were unable to properly communicate with because of their lack of knowledge of English. Whatever other skills she had, were made of little use without a command of the English language. This was not a racist decision, but one based on pragmatism.

Is it possible that racism can be somehow built into us.
I do my best to treat everyone equally and I wish that everyone did the same for me. 
† The end is nigh †

cromwell

No couldn't care less if you are sky blue pink....who cares.

Have come across racists who are invariably not a full shilling in their humanity section.

Wont bore with the full story again but was instructed to sack a worker based on a director being a **** and a workers skin colour.

I didn't and left the company and the worker was sacked by another went to tribunal and won. ;)
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borchester

A very big question.
Does anyone admit they are racist? You dislike someone because of the colour of their skin?
This is a concept I find very hard to believe, that the colour of someone's skin can be a focus of hate.

I don't think I am racist, although I have trouble keeping up with the latest fashions. I have met a number of racists and they are invariably sad sods at the bottom of the barrel with no achievements other than a shortage melanin, or those in the upper crust who brains have suffered through generations of inbreeding.

I fettled a bloke once because he racially abused my (then) Trinidadian girlfriend, but I don't suppose that counts because I was at an age when I would have fettled anyone so as to impress a girl

:)
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

A very big question.

I think racism and a lot of other "isms" are getting worse not better.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

A very big question.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.