Starmer will lose working class, say Liverpool dock strikers

Started by BBC News , November 21, 2022, 07:00:23 AM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on November 22, 2022, 07:45:07 PM
There is very little if any intelligent debate on this forum. Thatcher wrecked most of the industries that required work and turned Britain into a "service economy." Work is not lifting a cup of coffee from an office desk, eating a few hob-nobs and wasting time on emails.
Service providers work too. Unless you class cleaners, mail handlers, truck drivers, etc, as skivers.

Just because some people manage to get a product out and delivered by operating a computer, rather than digging coal or metal bashing and polluting the environment for miles around, doesn't mean they're not working.

Besides, if nobody ate the hobnobs or drank the coffee, there'd be no demand for them and more people would be looking for work...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on November 22, 2022, 07:45:07 PM
There is very little if any intelligent debate on this forum. Thatcher wrecked most of the industries that required work and turned Britain into a "service economy." Work is not lifting a cup of coffee from an office desk, eating a few hob-nobs and wasting time on emails.
Well you have choices don't you?

There are people on here happy to debate and are intelligent too.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on November 22, 2022, 07:14:19 PM
I detested Thatcher but what you post is utter nonsense,by definition having a job involves work.
Posting on a political forum should involve intelligent debate perhaps with the odd bit of humour or expressing passionate beliefs sadly that seems to bypass a few.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on November 22, 2022, 06:59:33 PM
It is not nonsensical at all, there are very few jobs left involving work, Thatcher saw to that.
I detested Thatcher but what you post is utter nonsense,by definition having a job involves work.
Posting on a political forum should involve intelligent debate perhaps with the odd bit of humour or expressing passionate beliefs sadly that seems to bypass a few.

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on November 22, 2022, 06:38:47 PM
Anything that requires mental and/or physical effort in return for pay has to be regarded as work. As such, most adults are workers. But trying to classify what type of workers they are by whether they get sweaty and dirty or sit at a computer, desk or drawing board is nonsensical...
It is not nonsensical at all, there are very few jobs left involving work, Thatcher saw to that.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on November 21, 2022, 03:24:50 PM
Jobs that involve work have disappeared by the millions since the 1960s. It does not require a link.
Anything that requires mental and/or physical effort in return for pay has to be regarded as work. As such, most adults are workers. But trying to classify what type of workers they are by whether they get sweaty and dirty or sit at a computer, desk or drawing board is nonsensical...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on November 21, 2022, 08:15:12 PM
No, it fits the word work, and now you're trying to prove that you're right by proving a point about a totally different subject.

I posted the scientific definition of work, which frankly few people do these days if that is applied to their occupation.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on November 21, 2022, 07:21:45 PM
That fits your agenda. If anyone here does not know since 1945 whole swathes of mining, manufacturing, and other "blue collar" industries and many millions of jobs have disappeared across Britain, you need to sue the schools where you were educated.
No, it fits the word work, and now you're trying to prove that you're right by proving a point about a totally different subject.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on November 21, 2022, 05:08:46 PM
Barry I posted the scientific definition of work, not many people these days using that definition work.

Your problem is you know zero about debate.
I saw your definition.

The REAL definition as per the Oxford English Dictionary is

A socioeconomic term used to describe persons in a social class marked by jobs that provide low pay, require limited skill, or physical labour
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on November 21, 2022, 06:25:50 PM
You posted a definition that fitted your agenda, knowing full well there were other meanings.

Like this one!'

noun

activity involving mental or physical effort done in order to achieve a purpose or result.
    "he was tired after a day's work"
That fits your agenda. If anyone here does not know since 1945 whole swathes of mining, manufacturing, and other "blue collar" industries and many millions of jobs have disappeared across Britain, you need to sue the schools where you were educated.

T00ts

Quote from: Nick on November 21, 2022, 06:25:50 PM
You posted a definition that fitted your agenda, knowing full well there were other meanings.

Like this one!'

noun

activity involving mental or physical effort done in order to achieve a purpose or result.
Well that's a relief, I was beginning to think I had been relaxing for a lifetime,so why was it so tiring?

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on November 21, 2022, 05:08:46 PM
Barry I posted the scientific definition of work, not many people these days using that definition work.

Like this one!'

noun

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on November 21, 2022, 04:26:40 PM
By definition they are not work.
Right so a doctor in A+E isn't working when they're trying to resuscitate a person whose heart has stopped,they're there purely on a jolly.

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on November 21, 2022, 04:43:30 PM
You type shite, 89.3% of the time.
The other 10.7% it's drivel.

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on November 21, 2022, 04:26:40 PM
By definition they are not work.
You type shite, 89.3% of the time.
The other 10.7% it's drivel.
† The end is nigh †