Tory leadership: Why would anyone want to be prime minister now anyway?

Started by BBC News , November 27, 2022, 07:00:10 PM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: johnofgwent on November 28, 2022, 08:19:44 AM
Another month old article but I would say two out of three of the Frank Nurse Factors apply.

Frank was a freelancer working on the nastier bits of the radar algorithm for me back on my Ferranti Employee days. If he's still around I hope he's having a pleasant retirement.

When Ferranti was clearly collapsing for reasons i did not understand but realise all to clearly now, I asked him why he worked the way he did.

He told me in his view there were three reasons people did what they did the way they did in the world of work.

1) Power. The right to boss others about, to hire and fire, to have the power of live and death over your wage slaves. Frank said he has held such posts, and now, forty years on, I can say so have I, but in both our cases this was only a brief dalliance and both of us got the hell out of that because it wasn't what made us tick

2) Respect. The fact your peers and others look to you to do the job because of what you know and what you have done. It's a nice warm feeling (which no prime minister will ever know) and yes it makes the thought of  getting out of bed to go to work that little bit more pleasant but it doesn't pay the bills.

And finally

3) MONEY.  Which Frank told me beats every other reason to do the job, at least in the western capitalist world.

So in the case of Frank and me, it was definitely 3 followed by 2. And these days in the Job I'm doing now, 2 has actually overtaken 3, but only because our board of directors understand who is responsible for them keeping their jobs and actually do respond accordingly. But such places are a rarity.

Prime Minister's, it is obvious to me, value 1 above all else, enjoy 3 to a degree impossible to normal people, and couldn't give a f**k about 2.

Right then. What's the next stupid question.??

A good analysis by Frank.

Generally speaking I have not got a lot of time for point 1, but every time I read an article by Laura Kuenssberg, she is clearly peeing razor blades over the Tory decision to freeze the licence fee, so a small thumbs up to Rishi on that one
Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Quote from: BBC News  on November 27, 2022, 07:00:10 PM

An economy in crisis and an unruly party await the new Tory leader, writes Laura Kuenssberg.

Source: Tory leadership: Why would anyone want to be prime minister now anyway?
Another month old article but I would say two out of three of the Frank Nurse Factors apply.

Frank was a freelancer working on the nastier bits of the radar algorithm for me back on my Ferranti Employee days. If he's still around I hope he's having a pleasant retirement.

When Ferranti was clearly collapsing for reasons i did not understand but realise all to clearly now, I asked him why he worked the way he did.

He told me in his view there were three reasons people did what they did the way they did in the world of work.

1) Power. The right to boss others about, to hire and fire, to have the power of live and death over your wage slaves. Frank said he has held such posts, and now, forty years on, I can say so have I, but in both our cases this was only a brief dalliance and both of us got the hell out of that because it wasn't what made us tick

2) Respect. The fact your peers and others look to you to do the job because of what you know and what you have done. It's a nice warm feeling (which no prime minister will ever know) and yes it makes the thought of  getting out of bed to go to work that little bit more pleasant but it doesn't pay the bills.

And finally

3) MONEY.  Which Frank told me beats every other reason to do the job, at least in the western capitalist world.

So in the case of Frank and me, it was definitely 3 followed by 2. And these days in the Job I'm doing now, 2 has actually overtaken 3, but only because our board of directors understand who is responsible for them keeping their jobs and actually do respond accordingly. But such places are a rarity.

Prime Minister's, it is obvious to me, value 1 above all else, enjoy 3 to a degree impossible to normal people, and couldn't give a F@@@ about 2.

Right then. What's the next stupid question.??
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

BBC News

An economy in crisis and an unruly party await the new Tory leader, writes Laura Kuenssberg.

Source: Tory leadership: Why would anyone want to be prime minister now anyway?