Two-thirds of adults worry they cannot afford Christmas dinner

Started by papasmurf, November 29, 2022, 08:33:10 AM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: Barry on November 29, 2022, 08:02:16 PM
Sometimes it is good to be in the minority.
After all, what use is worrying?

Exactly.

Particularly when we have Pappy to do it for us :)
Algerie Francais !

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on November 29, 2022, 08:33:10 AM
Not a surprise to me, the rise in the cost of living is now scary.

https://news.sky.com/story/two-thirds-of-adults-are-worried-they-will-not-be-able-to-afford-christmas-dinner-this-year-12757668

Tuesday 29 November 2022 06:19, UK

Two-thirds of adults are worried that they will not be able to afford Christmas dinner, according to a survey.

The survey, commissioned by the Salvation Army, calculated the cost of Christmas dinner at £7.50 per head but - as the price of food is continuing to rise - the cost has increased since the survey was carried out on 22 October.

The concern is greater among those aged 65 and over - 81% - and those in the east of England - 80%.

Some 16% are planning to use a food bank to get items for their meal, while 38% are likely to skip meals if they have an unexpected expense such as a broken boiler.
Sometimes it is good to be in the minority. 
After all, what use is worrying?
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on November 29, 2022, 05:06:03 PM
And people should live within their means, 
Nick, with 12 years of Tory austerity and the massive increases in the cost of living millions do not have the means to live on. (Frankly comments like yours are crass, and offensive given how serious the situation now is.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on November 29, 2022, 03:34:19 PM
T00ts, there are millions of people in Britain who would love to have some gluttony and excess this Christmas. As it is they will either have nothing or beans on toast.
And people should live within their means, it's the pressure from media and the like to embrace the trend of coming out of Christmas in a lot of debt. As T00ts alluded to, it should be about the people not the bling. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Quote from: T00ts on November 29, 2022, 03:21:59 PM
Isn't it time we all stopped pretending that Christmas is all about gluttony and excess? As a family we have decided in recent years that only children have presents and those are of limited value. My two eldest teenage grandchildren have had the same repeated birthday and Christmas present for the last 2 years from me and that has been a monthly donation to WWF towards saving 2 different species. I have asked them several times if they are happy for them to continue in their names and each time the answer has been a resounding yes.
Surely Christmas should be about serving others rather than how much food and drink we can consume without throwing up. Surely it is time to teach that Christmas isn't about how many often useless presents we can accumulate. Can't we all give each other a gift of a wider vision for the world?
In my house it's about having a couple of weeks off together, playing games and generally not answering the door. 

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on November 29, 2022, 01:36:29 PM
Pardon? It is free to those in need
Its a waste of money . The £30 -£40 cost of your 'Christmas box' would be better spent providing a hot meal for people who are in need of one .
There would even be plenty left over to hand out some cake 

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on November 29, 2022, 04:14:02 PM
Sod it Toots, you have made me agree with Pappy. I am not sure that I will ever forgive you for that.

Christmas is about gluttony and excess and spending megabucks that you can't afford, not having the grandchildren unwrapping their presents and saying oh thank you grandmother, this nob of coal is even better than last year's nob of coal, although come to think on it, it is last year's nob of coal.

Christianity has its place in Christmas, although it would be nice if the churches spent some one on heating so that we don't all die of the pneumonia during the Carol Service. But just once I would like to see the vicar get up and say have a good one lads and lasses, instead of the usual glum bollocks about remembering the lame and the halt.I am lame and halt and don't need some dreary sod going on about it.
Well at least I've achieved something good in the world for once!   Dancing

Borchester

Isn't it time we all stopped pretending that Christmas is all about gluttony and excess? As a family we have decided in recent years that only children have presents and those are of limited value. My two eldest teenage grandchildren have had the same repeated birthday and Christmas present for the last 2 years from me and that has been a monthly donation to WWF towards saving 2 different species. I have asked them several times if they are happy for them to continue in their names and each time the answer has been a resounding yes.
Surely Christmas should be about serving others rather than how much food and drink we can consume without throwing up. Surely it is time to teach that Christmas isn't about how many often useless presents we can accumulate. Can't we all give each other a gift of a wider vision for the world?
Sod it Toots, you have made me agree with Pappy. I am not sure that I will ever forgive you for that.

Christmas is about gluttony and excess and spending megabucks that you can't afford, not having the grandchildren unwrapping their presents and saying oh thank you grandmother, this nob of coal is even better than last year's nob of coal, although come to think on it, it is last year's nob of coal.

Christianity has its place in Christmas, although it would be nice if the churches spent some one on heating so that we don't all die of the pneumonia during the Carol Service. But just once I would like to see the vicar get up and say have a good one lads and lasses, instead of the usual glum bollocks about remembering the lame and the halt.I am lame and halt and don't need some dreary sod going on about it.

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Isn't it time we all stopped pretending that Christmas is all about gluttony and excess? 
T00ts, there are millions of people in Britain who would love to have some gluttony and excess this Christmas. As it is they will either have nothing or beans on toast.

T00ts

Isn't it time we all stopped pretending that Christmas is all about gluttony and excess? As a family we have decided in recent years that only children have presents and those are of limited value. My two eldest teenage grandchildren have had the same repeated birthday and Christmas present for the last 2 years from me and that has been a monthly donation to WWF towards saving 2 different species. I have asked them several times if they are happy for them to continue in their names and each time the answer has been a resounding yes.
Surely Christmas should be about serving others rather than how much food and drink we can consume without throwing up. Surely it is time to teach that Christmas isn't about how many often useless presents we can accumulate. Can't we all give each other a gift of a wider vision for the world?

Nick

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 29, 2022, 12:50:19 PM
Im sure they will manage it somehow

But what is a Christmas dinner ?  Enough food on the plate  to feed a family of four or the company with which you sit down with ?
A Chicken a few spuds and veg for those who want it and a few Christmas  trimmings doesnt even come to a fiver a head

You are forgetting that the Christmas dinner is not just about the actual meal, but the Christmas cake sandwiches that have to last you through January and much of February.:)

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Streetwalker

papasmurf