Two-thirds of adults worry they cannot afford Christmas dinner

Started by papasmurf, November 29, 2022, 08:33:10 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: cromwell on December 01, 2022, 05:11:28 PM
I was indeed
You should know Mr C, if was being nasty, I'd have the decency to do it sneakily behind your back lol
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

cromwell

Quote from: Nick on December 01, 2022, 03:00:52 PM
Not at all, I edited my post 33 seconds before you posted your post. I assume you were quoting my post at the time.
I was indeed
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

Quote from: cromwell on December 01, 2022, 08:48:13 AM
Nick are you saying I altered your post I quoted to suit,because that is not a fact.
The post I answered was the one that stood till you added the bit on about herr keeping promises.
Not at all, I edited my post 33 seconds before you posted your post. I assume you were quoting my post at the time. 

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on December 01, 2022, 07:11:35 AM
Thats the one cromwell though I didnt know Cutler had anything to do with it . I remember Livingstone claiming it (a bit like Ronaldo ) as his .;)

But it was a good scheme . Gave people a home and got rid of run down and uninhabital houses . I remember going round looking at potential homes to claim , it was amazing even in the late 70's that there were still bomb damaged houses in London . Not that mine was but it was a real dump when I moved into it .

It was a good idea and one I missed out on as I was going through my hippy, dippy property is thief phase. Still, I caught up later which is the main thing.

I don't think that the problem was bomb damage as the local councils and GLC buying up everything in sight, and then running out of cash to do the repairs. I once squatted a property and was left alone for four years because the local authority had forgotten that they owned it.

Happy days :)
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on December 01, 2022, 11:33:18 AM

no one is more deserving of a posthumous beheading for the crimes she committed against the poor than that bitch
More people than Nick thinks would agree with that.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on November 30, 2022, 07:36:27 PM
What you on about? Maggie won the election the year before the housing act (1980), she was elected in 1979, you mean she kept an electoral promise? She wanted to allow the great unwashed to have the pride of owning their own home.
The utilities were sold off, as I've said many times, to negate the unions, you can't hold a government to ransom by striking if the government doesn't own the utilities. Blame the NUM, they were the catalyst for a lot of what MT did.
What you neglect to point out is that along with forcing local authorities to sell their housing stock, ALL of which was over twice the square footage of 'private' housing being built by Wimpey, Barrett etc for less than half what it was actually worth and that's before the ruinous discounts given to tenants reduced it to a third or less the market value, she also banned councils from ploughing even that pittance into building new housing stock. 

thatcher caused the clusterfuck we are in today and I had to stand there and watch her do it.

no one is more deserving of a posthumous beheading for the crimes she committed against the poor than that bitch
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Streetwalker

Quote from: cromwell on December 01, 2022, 09:01:01 AM
Well you had the added bonus of being in the trade but getting a derelict property and doing it up wasn't that bad an idea but is a lot different to well maintained and good social housing stock being sold for a song.
https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/history-and-heritage/london-metropolitan-archives/collections/homesteading-a-glc-housing-scheme-1977-81
That was an interesting article , I was definately part of the second wave that had to find their own house  .  What with house prices in London and the passage of time that 'dump' sold for  for the best part of a £100,000,000  a couple of years back . 

Someone made a killing on that and though it wasnt me the scheme did set me on the path of home ownership which is something todays kids can only dream about .

cromwell

Quote from: Streetwalker on December 01, 2022, 07:11:35 AM
Thats the one cromwell though I didnt know Cutler had anything to do with it . I remember Livingstone claiming it (a bit like Ronaldo ) as his .;)

But it was a good scheme . Gave people a home and got rid of run down and uninhabital houses . I remember going round looking at potential homes to claim , it was amazing even in the late 70's that there were still bomb damaged houses in London . Not that mine was but it was a real dump when I moved into it .
Well you had the added bonus of being in the trade but getting a derelict property and doing it up wasn't that bad an idea but is a lot different to well maintained and good social housing stock being sold for a song.
https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/history-and-heritage/london-metropolitan-archives/collections/homesteading-a-glc-housing-scheme-1977-81

cromwell

Quote from: Nick on December 01, 2022, 04:48:03 AM
Look at the time of your post and my edit, which was before your post. FACT
Nick are you saying I altered your post I quoted to suit,because that is not a fact.
The post I answered was the one that stood till you added the bit on about herr keeping promises.

Streetwalker

Quote from: cromwell on December 01, 2022, 01:50:12 AM
Are you talking about the homesteading scheme dreamed up by Horace Cutler? Where you got the place on a deferred mortgage giving you three years to complete the works?

Nick

Quote from: cromwell on November 30, 2022, 08:50:46 PM
Not it wasn't ,you were trying to make out the right to buy was post her win you omitted the bribe was vote for me and you'll get a property at a bargain price a la bribery and corruption.
Look at the time of your post and my edit, which was before your post. FACT

cromwell

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 30, 2022, 09:57:30 PM
At the same time Red Ken Livingstone was giving Londons slums away to anyone who signed up to do them up . I snatched his arm off for terraced drum without a roof in Croydon . I was 19  and slept in the basement till I got the pigeons out and the roof fixed .
Oh , nearly forgot , I didn't  see it as a good reason to vote for him .;D
Are you talking about the homesteading scheme dreamed up by Horace Cutler? Where you got the place on a deferred mortgage giving you three years to complete the works?

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 30, 2022, 09:57:30 PM
At the same time Red Ken Livingstone was giving Londons slums away to anyone who signed up to do them up . I snatched his arm off for terraced drum without a roof in Croydon . I was 19  and slept in the basement till I got the pigeons out and the roof fixed .

Nor me.

I liked Ken and he had bottle, but even when he was my local Councillor I voted for someone else. Which was tricky because his opponents were sad bastards.

But I managed :)
Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borchester on November 30, 2022, 09:46:10 PM
Well, the house price was sky high and the mortgage repayments were two to three times the Council rent, so maybe someone else got my share of the corruption. But the flat was ours and Maggie was not ashamed to be British, so naturally I voted for her. :)

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell on November 30, 2022, 08:50:46 PM
Not it wasn't ,you were trying to make out the right to buy was post her win you omitted the bribe was vote for me and you'll get a property at a bargain price a la bribery and corruption.

Well, the house price was sky high and the mortgage repayments were two to three times the Council rent, so maybe someone else got my share of the corruption. But the flat was ours and Maggie was not ashamed to be British, so naturally I voted for her. :)
Algerie Francais !