Time to cull the charity con?

Started by cromwell, December 02, 2022, 08:08:47 PM

« previous - next »

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on December 02, 2022, 10:33:03 PMPlease tell me why it's fair for those who opt out of State education to subsidise State education when they don't want it or use it.
Because they are choosing to opt out, they are not being forced to so that neither gives them the right to opt out of taxes, nor avoid paying the going rate for what they choose to pay for. Which is frankly elitist in the sense of not being available to those on normal incomes. The clue is in the word "charitable". It is a strange kind of charity that mostly only benefits the well off. Making them pay the going rate and using the taxes to help the education of the many who are much less affluent and often struggling financially is the truly charitable thing to do. But I suppose too many well off people think charity begins with themselves. lol

I have never had kids. Should I be able to opt out of paying for state education too? You are being ridiculous.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

T00ts

Quote from: cromwell on December 02, 2022, 09:56:46 PM
It's not silly T00ts why should taxpayers subsidise a private system?

Please tell me why it's fair for those who opt out of State education to subsidise State education when they don't want it or use it. You want it all ways. 

srb7677

Good to see someone in the form of Cromwell talking sense when work denies me the time or energy to contribute much.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

cromwell

Quote from: Nick on December 02, 2022, 09:31:22 PM
Very simple, one is a green eyed monster and the other is Whack a Mole.
The levelling down is a massive slice of green eyed monster, and again, you're not interested in the slightest for the less well off to strive for a better future, you're only interested in the rich being whacked at every turn.
So yes, they do actually mean something.
They mean nothing and you're not interested in the less well off other than to resort to pointing out sofas in the front garden,sky tv and large screen tv's.
Quote from: T00ts on December 02, 2022, 09:41:57 PM
I find the argument silly. Parents who pay for private education are already paying taxes towards education. If they are being asked to pay VAT on the fees then they should be able to opt out of the tax charged towards state education. A 20% rise may well see a fair number with no choice but to home school or use their local State school, and believe me that is going to cause huge problems for the State schools.

Home schooling has risen massively in the last 6 years and particularly since Covid. Private schools are very active in sharing their facilities and encouraging local State schools in order to maintain their charitable status. Once again Labour focuses on the jealousy as if parents of the privately educated are having a ball when in fact most scrimp and scrape to pay for their kids.

The argument of better education for all sounds really noble but all Labour has ever achieved is a levelling down. The bright kids are expected to survive anyway so they don't bother to stretch them, and the hopeless are largely abandoned.
It's not silly T00ts why should taxpayers subsidise a private system?

It's not like the tories didn't consider it inequitable
Here
https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/former-conservative-minister-says-private-schools-should-lose-charitable-status

And here
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/michael-gove-once-backed-ending-28610525

Anyway as I said in the op there  are other businesses masquerading as charities,I deal indirectly with one and they are certainly not charitable and deserve no tax breaks.

The charity commission and charity industry is long due an overhaul.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

T00ts

I find the argument silly. Parents who pay for private education are already paying taxes towards education. If they are being asked to pay VAT on the fees then they should be able to opt out of the tax charged towards state education. A 20% rise may well see a fair number with no choice but to home school or use their local State school, and believe me that is going to cause huge problems for the State schools.

Home schooling has risen massively in the last 6 years and particularly since Covid. Private schools are very active in sharing their facilities and encouraging local State schools in order to maintain their charitable status. Once again Labour focuses on the jealousy as if parents of the privately educated are having a ball when in fact most scrimp and scrape to pay for their kids.

The argument of better education for all sounds really noble but all Labour has ever achieved is a levelling down. The bright kids are expected to survive anyway so they don't bother to stretch them, and the hopeless are largely abandoned. 

Nick

Quote from: cromwell on December 02, 2022, 09:17:34 PM
TBH Nick what do these cartoons add to the discussion?
Very simple, one is a green eyed monster and the other is Whack a Mole.
The levelling down is a massive slice of green eyed monster, and again, you're not interested in the slightest for the less well off to strive for a better future, you're only interested in the rich being whacked at every turn. 
So yes, they do actually mean something. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

cromwell

Quote from: Nick on December 02, 2022, 08:58:13 PM
Levelling down!!

TBH Nick what do these cartoons add to the discussion?

cromwell

Quote from: Nick on December 02, 2022, 08:56:05 PM
Do state schools pay tax on the money they get from the government? No they spend it all on things the pupils need, and are constantly asking for more. Private schools get funded by tuition fees, why do you think someone who can afford (with money they already paid tax on) to educate their children privately should see their fees go to pay tax? It's a theme that runs through the left, levelling down, the primary goal is to make sure the wealthy are just as miserable as the rest.

As usual you get it the wrong way round,people pay tax to see their kids go to state school should their tax be reduced then?

Green eyed is what you always fall back on,if you want to educate your kids privately pay the going rate.

Going by your highly flawed argument why should I pay tax on any goods or service I pay for when I've already paid tax?

Nick

Quote from: cromwell on December 02, 2022, 08:53:25 PM
Maybe from the extra tax or the parents will have to pay the going rate.
Levelling down!!

Nick

Quote from: cromwell on December 02, 2022, 08:08:47 PM
Mr Punch proposes ending charitable status for private schools,why stop there there are a lot of others with that status who should lose it....imo.
Do state schools pay tax on the money they get from the government? No they spend it all on things the pupils need, and are constantly asking for more. Private schools get funded by tuition fees, why do you think someone who can afford (with money they already paid tax on) to educate their children privately should see their fees go to pay tax? It's a theme that runs through the left, levelling down, the primary goal is to make sure the wealthy are just as miserable as the rest.

cromwell

Quote from: Streetwalker on December 02, 2022, 08:44:21 PM
Where will he find the extra school places for the thousands of kids that will be dumped on the state system ? 
Maybe from the extra tax or the parents will have to pay the going rate.

Streetwalker

Quote from: cromwell on December 02, 2022, 08:08:47 PM
Mr Punch proposes ending charitable status for private schools,why stop there there are a lot of others with that status who should lose it....imo.
Where will he find the extra school places for the thousands of kids that will be dumped on the state system ?   

cromwell