Main Menu

I’m glad I hate flying

Started by cromwell, December 04, 2022, 10:55:08 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on December 06, 2022, 06:15:34 PM
Final clinching proof that just shows you don't read what people post.
I did but you did not post a link to back up your (wrong,) statement.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on December 06, 2022, 07:15:46 PM
Laugh away you made a statement that is at odds with the official report, the lack of a spacer did not contribute to the accident.

https://flightsafety.org/ap/ap_apr02.pdf
The aircraft, serial no. 3, entered airline service in October
1979 and had accumulated 11,989 flight hours and 4,873
cycles. During a scheduled maintenance check in July 2000, a
spacer was omitted when the aircraftís left-main-landing-gear
assembly was replaced to correct a defect in the tireunderinflation-detection system. The aircraft completed four
flights after the maintenance check. The report said that the
omission of the spacer did not contribute to the accident.
Your lack of understanding of what people post is astounding, you can't even follow a simple conversation. Your lack of not being able to see pictures is equally astounding.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on December 06, 2022, 06:42:17 PM

Laugh away you made a statement that is at odds with the official report, the lack of a spacer did not contribute to the accident.

https://flightsafety.org/ap/ap_apr02.pdf
The aircraft, serial no. 3, entered airline service in October
1979 and had accumulated 11,989 flight hours and 4,873
cycles. During a scheduled maintenance check in July 2000, a
spacer was omitted when the aircraftís left-main-landing-gear
assembly was replaced to correct a defect in the tireunderinflation-detection system. The aircraft completed four
flights after the maintenance check. The report said that the
omission of the spacer did not contribute to the accident.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on December 06, 2022, 06:30:54 PM
I read it but you gave no link to credible evidence for what you stated.  Until you post such a link I don't believe you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on December 06, 2022, 06:15:34 PM
I read it but you gave no link to credible evidence for what you stated.  Until you post such a link I don't believe you.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on December 06, 2022, 05:56:55 PM
Link to that in the official investigation please.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on December 06, 2022, 05:30:33 PM

The two little known facts are that previously the aircraft had had it's wheel bogies serviced and the bearings checked / changed and greased. The mechanic that did this forgot to put a spacer back between a set of bearings giving the bearings nothing to seat up against therefore putting sideways strain on the bearings.
Link to that in the official investigation please.

Nick

Quote from: Streetwalker on December 06, 2022, 09:35:03 AM
Come on Nick spill the beans . I wondered at the time what the debris was that they said had caused the tyre to blow . Unless of course there is another version than the 'official' one
The official, and I've no reason to think he was lying, story is as follows.

Aviation rules state that an Aircraft should not be downed by a single incident or failure, in this case their were three, two of which very few people know about.
The one everyone knows about was the piece of metal that had previously dropped off a Continental aircraft that burst its tyres send bits into the engine and started a fire.
The two little known facts are that previously the aircraft had had it's wheel bogies serviced and the bearings checked / changed and greased. The mechanic that did this forgot to put a spacer back between a set of bearings giving the bearings nothing to seat up against therefore putting sideways strain on the bearings.
We now have the scenario where Concord is tanking down the runway with a set of wheel bearings that are slowly seizing up and pulling the aircraft across the the left when it picks up the FOB from the Continental aircraft and one of the port engines catches fire with a fuel leak. The pilot now has 2 choices, he either hits the brakes and risks not stopping and cutting another aircraft in half that's taxiing or he takes off with an engine on fire, so he does the latter.
The thing about an engine that has a fuel leak and is on fire is that it gains power, as it is burning excess fuel and cant be controlled.
The pilot is now effectively flying a plane with 3 engines on one side and 2 on the other and what he is supposed to do is shut down the good engine on the damaged side to give balance. Unfortunately, and this is the third thing, the pilot shuts down the wrong engine and now has 3 times as much power on one side making the plane dive into the ground.

There are plenty of tales that closely follow this but they don't mention any of the human error though. They always say, keep the lie as close to the truth as you can and it will be believed. I can't see why he would paint it worse that it was if this isn't true.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nick on December 06, 2022, 05:02:44 AM
I had a very interesting flight from Paris to Manchester with AF's chief technical pilot who told me a few things, about the unnecessary ban on mobiles and about why the Concord crashed, but that's another story.
Come on Nick spill the beans . I wondered at the time what the debris was that they said had caused the tyre to blow . Unless of course there is another version than the 'official' one 

Nick

Quote from: Streetwalker on December 05, 2022, 06:36:19 AM
Indeed but they generally kept that to themselves as it was just one more aspect of flying that gives people the hump in cattle class .
I had a very interesting flight from Paris to Manchester with AF's chief technical pilot who told me a few things, about the unnecessary ban on mobiles and about why the Concord crashed, but that's another story. 

johnofgwent

Thank you very much,

I didn't have to hit play to have it stuck in my head for half an hour until the gin erased it. Now im posting while half pissed which is probably not good so I'll say goodnight
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

Algerie Francais !

patman post

Quote from: srb7677 on December 04, 2022, 06:26:00 PM
Am not a huge fan of flying either. My arms get too tired with all that flapping.
But from now on it looks like you'll be able to tweet...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nick on December 04, 2022, 03:55:02 PM
We've known for years that using your phone on a plane does nothing, I was told by a pilot over 10 years ago that airlines knew it was perfectly safe. KLM, AF and Delta have had Wi-Fi onboard on long haul flights for years.
Indeed but they generally kept that to themselves as it was just one more aspect of flying that gives people the hump in cattle class . 

srb7677

Quote from: papasmurf on December 04, 2022, 11:17:28 AM
I am banned flying for medical reasons.
Am not a huge fan of flying either. My arms get too tired with all that flapping.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.