London keeps its crown as Europe's largest financial centre

Started by Nick, December 08, 2022, 05:05:13 PM

« previous - next »

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on December 12, 2022, 04:48:26 AM
Would you like to explain how $1.4T multiplied by 46% reaches $2.8T.
Misquote, the article said this

Since the [Brexit] vote in June 2016, Paris' CAC-40 index is up 47% and London's FTSE 100 has advanced by just 16% - but the gap is not down to Brexit alone  

That growth was for the top 40 and top 100 respectively.  Are you trying to say that this is made up or didn't happen. Read the article yourself, it's the BBC, not the best but a pretty reliable source. It also says the London 250 has fallen by 17% over the same period. Back in 2016 London was $1.4T more than Paris, the falling pound, slow growth and in areas shrinkage has wiped out that advantage and now Paris is effectively the same as London. That's after 2yrs of brexit and a continued transition for certain financial sectors STILL in place. Lets see where it is in 5 or 10 more years, but to thing London has "Kept its crown" would be a stretch.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on December 12, 2022, 04:48:26 AM
Easy. It's merchant banking. it works that way.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on December 11, 2022, 11:43:54 PM
The linked article says the Paris exchange grew by 46% versus 16% for London since '16. London was also hit with the weakening pound and France benefited by growth in their Luxury goods sector. But simply put London is growing slower than others and that trend looks like it will continue. Brexit may have effectively happened  2yrs ago but the transition period for certain financial areas will continue to run for another yr or two. When those restrictions hit, it will put more pressure on the London stock exchange and financial sectors.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on December 11, 2022, 06:20:06 PM
What were their values in 2016?
The linked article says the Paris exchange grew by 46% versus 16% for London since '16. London was also hit with the weakening pound and France benefited by growth in their Luxury goods sector. But simply put London is growing slower than others and that trend looks like it will continue. Brexit may have effectively happened  2yrs ago but the transition period for certain financial areas will continue to run for another yr or two. When those restrictions hit, it will put more pressure on the London stock exchange and financial sectors.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on December 11, 2022, 04:38:22 PM
Give Brexit a chance. Nobody predicted a cliff edge, only the brexiteer's did that in a typical strawman fashion. Say "remainers" are predicting a cliff edge, then an hr after leaving scoff at them for it not happening, the effect of Brexit will take decades to blossom. The London stock exchange share index was worth about $1.4T more than the Paris one in 2016, the Paris stock exchange ($2.823T) is now the same size as London ($2.821T) and growing. That is some swing in 6 yrs.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-63623502
What were their values in 2016? 

Borchester

Quote from: GerryT on December 11, 2022, 04:38:22 PM
Give Brexit a chance. Nobody predicted a cliff edge, only the brexiteer's did that in a typical strawman fashion.

Yes you did.

You said that come Brexit the EU would close down the Irish pork chop mines and that within months all that would remain of the UK would be a few whitening bones after everyone had died of starvation

Shame really. I could do with loosing a few pounds
Algerie Francais !

GerryT

Give Brexit a chance. Nobody predicted a cliff edge, only the brexiteer's did that in a typical strawman fashion. Say "remainers" are predicting a cliff edge, then an hr after leaving scoff at them for it not happening, the effect of Brexit will take decades to blossom. The London stock exchange share index was worth about $1.4T more than the Paris one in 2016, the Paris stock exchange ($2.823T) is now the same size as London ($2.821T) and growing. That is some swing in 6 yrs.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-63623502 

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on December 09, 2022, 09:40:27 PM

I know I'm wasting my time but ignore Borky and post your stuff without alienating,you aren't wrong on some of your thoughts but fight your corner without the drama......and ignore Borky
Yes I  said that twice.
I cannot ignore him he persists in lying about me. You would object if someone kept doing that about you.  It is harassment and bullying. 
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

cromwell

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell on December 09, 2022, 09:40:27 PM

I know I'm wasting my time but ignore Borky and post your stuff without alienating,you aren't wrong on some of your thoughts but fight your corner without the drama......and ignore Borky
Yes I  said that twice.

Well said Ollie.

I am not worthy !!
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: Nick on December 09, 2022, 08:44:47 PM
You copying / parting white text on a blue background and when pasted into here you can't see it do end up deleting bits cause uluiu can't see it.
I see you're using the iPad again Nick  :D

Smurfy you do yourself no favours and have had more lives than a cat,Nick was the one who got you back on here and despite recent events has not gone back on that.

Unlike Borky there was no intention to taunt you but you are at times your own worst enemy.

Yes I  said that twice.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on December 09, 2022, 08:00:15 PM
What are you blathering on about?
You copying / parting white text on a blue background and when pasted into here you can't see it so end up deleting bits cause you can't see it.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on December 09, 2022, 07:18:31 PM
 It's when he is copying white text on a darker background, 
What are you blathering on about?

Nick

Quote from: Barry on December 09, 2022, 06:51:45 PM
Have you heard of right clicking and pasting as plain text?
You're welcome.
It's very simply Barry, and he's just done it again. It's when he is copying white text on a darker background, he pastes it onto our white page and he can't see it so he ends up fumbling around and deleting parts of it. It's a trait of those that don't really have anything of their own to say and are just copy and paste merchants. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on December 09, 2022, 06:51:51 PM
Again, you are the only person that complains of this.
You are the only person that posts that they change their browser settings.
You are the only person that SAYS they have turned images off.
You are the only person that can see images with images turned off.

ADMIN NOTICE

None of your problems are , or will be recognised as issues with this form. Any continuation of your complaints will be ignored.
ALL of the problems I get are with this forum no other.