So where's the loyalty?

Started by T00ts, December 10, 2022, 09:45:44 AM

« previous - next »

Barry

I shall watch the match with Mrs tonight and be hoping for an England win.
However, I consider my Englishness simply an accident of birth and I don't believe we are not here to deify our country or worship a football team.
No flags out here, I don't possess one. We do have a Christmas tree in the conservatory with flashing lights, visible from the road, is that OK? ;) 

† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: srb7677 on December 10, 2022, 12:10:14 PM
It is the endeavours of too many -  many of whom you yourself are frequently an apologist for - that have been dragging us down into the pits. Mass poverty, homelessness rife, food banks overwhelmed, poor housing costing a fortune, pay freezes and de facto pay cuts year on year, most of us getting poorer, NHS  falling apart.

Be a true patriot. Work to get rid of the scumbags responsible and fix these problems for the good of us all. Then we can all take pride in waving our flag.
Oh give me strength! What a load of rubbish that is. Once again anyone who has anything that you don't approve of is guilty of doing everyone else down. We all know that people are struggling and yes some of it is down to bad decisions in the past taken under unusual duress. The bills for that are coming in but many were very happy to take all the gifts at that time with no thought for who was going to pay. They have decided that we will as far as possible, not future generations. Yes some won't need to pull in their belts  but that is their good fortune. Payments to help are still being made which we will have to pay for again on top of what we currently owe, but of course those who simply want to drag the country down don't fancy that do they? They just want parity! 

T00ts

Quote from: Nick on December 10, 2022, 11:46:46 AM
Excuse me Mrs!!

I started the World Cup thread, and put balls on display 😉
Now you see I realise that and love it! It's the rest of this miserable lot that are getting my goat!  ;D

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on December 10, 2022, 11:39:21 AM
You seem to have little interest in very much that might lift the spirits of anyone. It seems a bit miserly not to support your country 
I support the people of Britain I do not support the Tory government that seems intent on destroying Britain and impoverishing millions in the process.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on December 10, 2022, 11:40:34 AM
Another one happy to drag us down into the pits regardless of the endeavours of some. Depressing.
It is the endeavours of too many -  many of whom you yourself are frequently an apologist for - that have been dragging us down into the pits. Mass poverty, homelessness rife, food banks overwhelmed, poor housing costing a fortune, pay freezes and de facto pay cuts year on year, most of us getting poorer, NHS  falling apart.

Be a true patriot. Work to get rid of the scumbags responsible and fix these problems for the good of us all. Then we can all take pride in waving our flag.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Nick

Quote from: T00ts on December 10, 2022, 09:45:44 AM
I am so disappointed with you all. Here we are in the midst of a crisis of perception. Many are freaking out about the weather, the economy and life in general while across the pond there is a duo determined to make this country look like the worst in the world with our reputation being dragged into the gutter.

This evening a few guys wearing white shirts will hopefully do their best to raise spirits and send France home yet I am the only one who has shown any sign of national support. The World cup thread is almost bare so come on you lot change your avatar and show some national pride.There are enough knocking everything English, it's time to stand up for the flag!

Excuse me Mrs!!

I started the World Cup thread, and put balls on display 😉 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

T00ts

Quote from: srb7677 on December 10, 2022, 11:35:30 AM
I want England to win, but I have to work during many of the matches, as I do tonight until 8pm.

But patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel if it is all just about waving a flag and pretending we are better than everyone else. True patriotism is about striving to make our country as great a place as it can be, so that we can all take pride in being a member of it. We are far from being a nation to be proud of at the moment in too many ways, with too few sharing in the patriotic impulse to make the nation as good a place to live as any nation and for all its people.

Fix what is wrong in society and the country and more of us will take pride in being English.
Another one happy to drag us down into the pits regardless of the endeavours of some. Depressing.

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on December 10, 2022, 11:16:07 AM
I have zero interest in sport, any sport.
You seem to have little interest in very much that might lift the spirits of anyone. It seems a bit miserly not to support your country even in a sporting capacity. Would you support it if it came to war? Most of the time your posts and attitude depresses me more than a little, and your blanket attitude to anyone who confesses to having voted Conservative is constantly simply vindictive. Perhaps England will do better without your support.

srb7677

I want England to win, but I have to work during many of the matches, as I do tonight until 8pm.

But patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel if it is all just about waving a flag and pretending we are better than everyone else. True patriotism is about striving to make our country as great a place as it can be, so that we can all take pride in being a member of it. We are far from being a nation to be proud of at the moment in too many ways, with too few sharing in the patriotic impulse to make the nation as good a place to live as any nation and for all its people.

Fix what is wrong in society and the country and more of us will take pride in being English.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

I have zero interest in sport, any sport.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

I am so disappointed with you all. Here we are in the midst of a crisis of perception. Many are freaking out about the weather, the economy and life in general while across the pond there is a duo determined to make this country look like the worst in the world with our reputation being dragged into the gutter.

This evening a few guys wearing white shirts will hopefully do their best to raise spirits and send France home yet I am the only one who has shown any sign of national support. The World cup thread is almost bare so come on you lot change your avatar and show some national pride.There are enough knocking everything English, it's time to stand up for the flag!