Bad weather? What bad weather?

Started by papasmurf, December 11, 2022, 10:29:43 AM

« previous - next »

patman post

The whole weather scene where ever we go has gone completely bonkers. 

N16 had six to eight inches of snow last week followed by several days of freezing. Then temperatures suddenly went up to eight and above accompanied by heavy rain. 

Now temp in St G is currently hovering between 10 and 12. Putting winter tyres on Mrs P's car for fear of snow over Christmas seems just another useless insurance...

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

morayloon

Quote from: morayloon on December 13, 2022, 04:32:20 PM
The Met Office is saying that it'll get milder later on in the week

And so it turns out. 3 degrees at present and 8 degrees forecast during the day. The wind is also blowing so most of the snow will be gone soon

Borchester

Quote from: HDQQ on December 18, 2022, 01:58:28 PM
It's milder today (Sunday) but it's been pretty much below freezing for the last week. We had a fair bit of snow last Sunday and it was still lying intact until mid morning today, a week later.

The big thing is the astonishing rise in heating costs. We knew this was coming and we've been sparing with the heating but even so it it's a shock. Without the heating on, our house doesn't take long to go down to freezing indoors, notwithstanding double glazing, cavity wall insulation, loft insulation and draught-proofing.

I have forgotten the physics if indeed I ever knew it, but I have a dim idea that continually turning the heating on and off just increases the energy used. So we have ours going full blast all the time. The bills are creeping up but while Hunt is a remainer shit, even he must realise that if he wants my vote he will do something to keep my costs down.
Algerie Francais !

HDQQ

Quote from: patman post on December 13, 2022, 05:10:30 PM
Really?

Wrong, yes, but I'd never noted Met Office as being particularly aggressive...
It's milder today (Sunday) but it's been pretty much below freezing for the last week. We had a fair bit of snow last Sunday and it was still lying intact until mid morning today, a week later. 

The big thing is the astonishing rise in heating costs. We knew this was coming and we've been sparing with the heating but even so it it's a shock. Without the heating on, our house doesn't take long to go down to freezing indoors, notwithstanding double glazing, cavity wall insulation, loft insulation and draught-proofing.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

patman post

Quote from: morayloon on December 13, 2022, 04:32:20 PM
Really?

Wrong, yes, but I'd never noted Met Office as being particularly aggressive...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

morayloon

Quote from: Barry on December 12, 2022, 02:25:29 PM
I remember patrolling outdoors at night in those temperatures in Dec 1978 - Jan 1979.
The weather at present seems to be following that time:

https://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoother/twocontent.aspx?type=tystat&id=845

Although, according to the forecast, an Atlantic front should sort things out for England by 20th December, Scotland? - not sure.

Barry

Quote from: morayloon on December 12, 2022, 02:05:54 PM
-15 up here through the night. Sitting at -9 right now. A wee bit on the chilly side!
I remember patrolling outdoors at night in those temperatures in Dec 1978 - Jan 1979.
The weather at present seems to be following that time:

https://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoother/twocontent.aspx?type=tystat&id=845

Although, according to the forecast, an Atlantic front should sort things out for England by 20th December, Scotland? - not sure.
† The end is nigh †

johnofgwent

-15 up here through the night. Sitting at -9 right now. A wee bit on the chilly side!
You can keep that !!

-3 lowest overnight here two days running, varying between 1 and -1 in daylight. NP19
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

A bit cold around the Trossachs.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

morayloon

Nick

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on December 11, 2022, 02:09:45 PM
Can't see them, I turned pictures off !! You'll have to add an explanation about them seeing as you can clearly see them.
Tough.

Nick

Can't see them, I turned pictures off !! You'll have to add an explanation about them seeing as you can clearly see them. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

I am staying indoors, it us chaos out there on local roads. (Just a sample.)

papasmurf