Putin could use peace talks 'as excuse to rearm and recruit troops'

Started by SKY News, December 12, 2022, 07:00:08 PM

« previous - next »

morayloon

Quote from: johnofgwent on December 13, 2022, 05:57:05 AM
I don't see it that way.

Putin already demands the world recognise his gunpoint "referenda" as part of even starting talks, making the Ukraine the "aggressor" in any attempt to take back that which Russia has invaded. I think Mr B is right, a pause while the winter does its worst is working entirely in Putins favour.

The areas included in the referendum have majority Russian populations. So, the poll was not 'at gunpoint', despite how the west wants to describe it. Perhaps the reason the result was so well supported was because of the incessant shelling by Ukraine, since 2014, of the Donbas

patman post

Quote from: Borchester on December 13, 2022, 09:49:14 AM
I am not, but I am assuming that the new Russian armies will be better trained.

I hope that I am wrong as I frequently am, and that  Putin will get together with the Ukrainians, a bucket of vodka and hammer out a peace deal. But I have a nasty feeling that this horror will continue for quite a while
From my limited knowledge, I tend to agree. However, it may come down to a battle of commitment against conscription.

Even if the reports of growing antipathy in Russia to the war in Ukraine are true — not least because of the heavy losses of Russian troops — the fighting is likely to continue for some time yet...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on December 13, 2022, 04:55:27 AM
You're assuming that the Ukraine is going to let up on taking back their land.

I am not, but I am assuming that the new Russian armies will be better trained.

I hope that I am wrong as I frequently am, and that  Putin will get together with the Ukrainians, a bucket of vodka and hammer out a peace deal. But I have a nasty feeling that this horror will continue for quite a while
Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: johnofgwent on December 13, 2022, 05:57:05 AM
I don't see it that way.

Putin already demands the world recognise his gunpoint "referenda" as part of even starting talks, making the Ukraine the "aggressor" in any attempt to take back that which Russia has invaded. I think Mr B is right, a pause while the winter does its worst is working entirely in Putins favour.
And again, you're assuming that the Ukraine will pause, why would they? Knowing full well that a pause will give them the upper hand.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on December 13, 2022, 04:55:27 AM
I don't see it that way.

Putin already demands the world recognise his gunpoint "referenda" as part of even starting talks, making the Ukraine the "aggressor" in any attempt to take back that which Russia has invaded. I think Mr B is right, a pause while the winter does its worst is working entirely in Putins favour.

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

Quote from: Borchester on December 12, 2022, 08:02:28 PM
Makes sense.

Putin has called up hundreds of thousands of conscripts but will obviously need several months to train them. So if he bunnies away until Spring then his new armies should be ready for the summer offensive
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borchester

Quote from: SKY News  on December 12, 2022, 07:00:08 PM

Vladimir Putin could use any peace talks with Ukraine as an excuse to rearm and recruit Russian troops, the foreign secretary has warned.

Source: Putin could use peace talks 'as excuse to rearm and recruit troops'

Makes sense.

Putin has called up hundreds of thousands of conscripts but will obviously need several months to train them. So if he bunnies away until Spring then his new armies should be ready for the summer offensive
Algerie Francais !

SKY News

Vladimir Putin could use any peace talks with Ukraine as an excuse to rearm and recruit Russian troops, the foreign secretary has warned.

Source: Putin could use peace talks 'as excuse to rearm and recruit troops'