Bank rate raised to 3.5%.

Started by papasmurf, December 15, 2022, 12:46:25 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on December 17, 2022, 08:22:13 PM
 On the path you choose ATM you will get no protection, you're as much a part of the problem.
I merely respond to the attacks and abuse of me, and the lies told about me. (The latter being legally actionable.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on December 17, 2022, 08:22:13 PM, I am subject to the exact same rules and moderation as you. 
The rules and Terms Of Service a regularly broken by the abuse aimed at me and the lies told about be, about which nothing is being done.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on December 17, 2022, 03:27:31 PM
Nick that is you defending the bully and not the bullied. Very poor response from you.
Im neither defending nor condoning anything, I am subject to the exact same rules and moderation as you. That affords me the luxury to say what I want within the rules of the forum. Regularly you advocate violence towards people you don't like, even after an MP was murdered, I find that deplorable. You can choose to take either the moral high ground our take the low ground and accept the ribbing. On the path you choose ATM you will get no protection, you're as much a part of the problem. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on December 17, 2022, 03:10:47 PM
And that's why he does it, cause you cry like a schoolyard sissy.
Nick that is you defending the bully and not the bullied. Very poor response from you.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on December 16, 2022, 02:59:21 PM
It is NOT humour.  You would not like lies about you being told EVERY day several times a day. It is harassment and abuse.
Borchester does it deliberately. I have requested many time he be stopped and nothing is done.
And that's why he does it, cause you cry like a schoolyard sissy. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on December 16, 2022, 01:49:14 PM
Clearly you can't understand humour.
It is NOT humour.  You would not like lies about you being told EVERY day several times a day. It is harassment and abuse.
Borchester does it deliberately. I have requested many time he be stopped and nothing is done. 

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on December 16, 2022, 01:14:21 PM
Stop lying about me Borchester. It is NOT funny it is abuse and harassment.
Clearly you can't understand humour. 

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on December 16, 2022, 01:14:21 PM

I am sorry Pappy. When you said that you paid off your mortgage in 1990 I believed you. I promise that I won't do it again
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on December 16, 2022, 12:35:30 PM
But by 1990 you were living mortgage free as a rentier capitalist and free to devote your life to stopping the lower orders from holidaying in Cornwall. Admit it Pappy, you did enjoy that didn't you :)

Sampanviking

Quote from: Borchester on December 15, 2022, 07:43:39 PM
I can see a crash ahead.

And then the usual boom.

And me not having the sense to stay out of a crooked game.

The trouble with the property market is that it is such fun :)
I think there is little doubt. This time last year the supply of property to market was a trickle and people could ask silly prices in the bun fight that ensued for those that did.
Now there is still a trickle of new properties but demand is all but dead.
An increase of supply is widely foreseen, but this will be a consequence of massive mortgage failure. Demand is still likely to be dead, which means prices will plummet.
No doubt the cash rich vulture class will wait to rock bottom and then pounce to make a killing.
I also expect to see a large number of estate agents go under. Not just small local ones but some big national ones as well. Look at Purple Bricks, they are half dead already.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on December 16, 2022, 12:26:28 PM
In 1984 I ended up paying 17.5% on a mortgage and 17.5% on a bridging loan. (NOT happy days.)

But by 1990 you were living mortgage free as a rentier capitalist and free to devote your life to stopping the lower orders from holidaying in Cornwall. Admit it Pappy, you did enjoy that didn't you :)
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on December 16, 2022, 10:59:33 AM
Mortgage rates varied between 8% and 14% between 1980 and 1990 — but you probably benefited from substantially lower property prices than now...
In 1984 I ended up paying 17.5% on a mortgage and 17.5% on a bridging loan. (NOT happy days.)

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on December 16, 2022, 10:59:33 AM
Mortgage rates varied between 8% and 14% between 1980 and 1990 — but you probably benefited from substantially lower property prices than now...

Sort of.

The housing market during the 1980s and 1990s was pretty much the same as now. Wherever you wanted to live was usually out of your reach.

The problem is that we tend to look at these matters through rose tinted spectacles, but I don't recall any golden age of housing in London. I would say that the finances are easier these days because the world is awash with cash and the the temptation to take a punt in the property market is nigh on irresistible, but an authority higher than myself is keeping me in line.:)

Algerie Francais !

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on December 15, 2022, 12:46:25 PM
I am glad I paid my mortgage off back in 1990.
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on December 15, 2022, 06:11:45 PM
Im probably in that situation myself . Putting all my cabbage in bricks and mortar was the only thing I knew .

But yes interest rates have been too low and savers have had a lean time of it , 3.5% doesn't seem high to me though in these days of hundreds of thousand pound mortgages I can see just a little rise will hurt some people bad . On the other hand if it cools down the housing market it wont be  a bad thing

I can see a crash ahead.

And then the usual boom.

And me not having the sense to stay out of a crooked game.

The trouble with the property market is that it is such fun :)
Algerie Francais !