I need some advice on plastering

Started by Borchester, December 15, 2022, 05:35:59 PM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borchester on January 07, 2023, 10:41:35 AM
I thought of it. The last time I tried the vibrations left my hands well buggered. But maybe I should give it another go. :)
Ive got a touch of the arthritis myself . Wear thick gloves , it helps . 

srb7677

Not much use when it comes to plastering but I can give you plenty of advice when it comes to getting plastered if thats any help? ;D
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 07, 2023, 10:28:28 AM
Buy a mixing paddle attatchment that can be used with your drill (I take it you have a drill ) Perfect for mixing small amounts of plaster in a bucket . Costs about a tenner .

I thought of it. The last time I tried the vibrations left my hands well buggered. But maybe I should give it another go. :)
Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borchester on January 06, 2023, 11:42:38 PM
The arthritis in my hands means that I can only mix small quantities at a time
Buy a mixing paddle attatchment that can be used with your drill (I take it you have a drill ) Perfect for mixing small amounts of plaster in a bucket . Costs about a tenner .

Borchester

Quote from: Barry on January 07, 2023, 08:59:50 AM
Get someone in.

Be careful, you never know who is reading this.

The deal is that on dry days I potter on the allotment and in the garden and when it is wet I do the same in and on the house and flat. And when I run out of puff I crawl over to the computer, where I spend my time bunnying to you guys or maybe crack a book.

I love every minute of it, but if that became generally know the tottiedom would run me ragged, so I do my best not to have it generally known.:)
Algerie Francais !

Barry

† The end is nigh †

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 06, 2023, 10:00:42 PM
Haven't you done it yet ?

No, I am still creaking along. I took Christmas and the New Year off, which reduced productivity. The arthritis in my hands means that I can only mix small quantities at a time, so I had the idea that I could fill a bucket on one day, take the next day off and crack on for the rest of the week, but that did not fly.

Still, it is fun, I am not in a rush and I have started knocking the garden into shape, which means that Herself will stay off my back :)
Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

Borchester

Quote from: Benson on January 06, 2023, 08:53:13 PM
I always use Multifinish plaster, I believe Boardfinish goes off quicker. Plastering is not my main trade though.

Many thanks :)
Algerie Francais !

Benson

I always use Multifinish plaster, I believe Boardfinish goes off quicker. Plastering is not my main trade though.
How do you change your signature?

Borchester

Cheers guys.

For various reasons I have to mix a sizeable bucket of plaster. Using smaller quantities makes sense but I am not in a position to be sensible. Still, I like the idea of keeping the mix cold. That certainly won't be a problem at this time of the year :)
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on December 15, 2022, 05:35:59 PM
I quite like plastering. There is always that wonderful moment when you start slapping it over the cracks and no end of sins and evidence of crappy workmanship are concealed. The problem is that I am the world's slowest workman and by the time I have stopped the second crack, the plaster has set and I have 10 kilos of the stuff in the bucket.

So how do I slow down the setting rate

All advice gratefully received
Only mix what you can comfortably use. It will go off more slowly in cold damp weather rather than a heatwave. Split your wall or repair into sections with battens, work up to a batten, remove and work the next section up to the edge created. It does depend what finish you are going to apply as to the best answer. The best plasterer I have ever seen was a 23yr old uni student who was working his way through his degree. He plastered my hall, landing and staircase with some very strange angles but it was so good I couldn't bring myself to decorate for weeks.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borchester on December 15, 2022, 05:35:59 PM
I quite like plastering. There is always that wonderful moment when you start slapping it over the cracks and no end of sins and evidence of crappy workmanship are concealed. The problem is that I am the world's slowest workman and by the time I have stopped the second crack, the plaster has set and I have 10 kilos of the stuff in the bucket.

There are a few things that will slow it down a little . Always use a clean bucket , Use fresh plaster (there will be a date on the bag somewhere ) and turn the heating off while your working .

Maybe try knocking up a bit less ,no point in wasting the stuff .

Borchester

Algerie Francais !