Political Representation, 1831 style

Started by johnofgwent, December 20, 2022, 10:10:28 AM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on December 20, 2022, 12:53:32 PM
Dunno.

There was a case in the 18th century about whether or not a man was entitled to vote. I am ashamed to say that I have forgotten most of the details, but it hinged on the definition of a 40 shilling freeholder. And the judge made the reactionary but valid point that how could you trust the governance of a country to people who did not have a stake in it.
Got it in one

The 1832 Reform Act and all that.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

Quote from: johnofgwent on December 20, 2022, 10:10:28 AM
The attached is a page from the Monmouthshire local rag of 1831. The local MP thanking his electorate.

Have we truly got much further since those days ??

Dunno.

There was a case in the 18th century about whether or not a man was entitled to vote. I am ashamed to say that I have forgotten most of the details, but it hinged on the definition of a 40 shilling freeholder. And the judge made the reactionary but valid point that how could you trust the governance of a country to people who did not have a stake in it.
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Quote from: johnofgwent on December 20, 2022, 10:10:28 AM
The attached is a page from the Monmouthshire local rag of 1831. The local MP thanking his electorate.

Absolutely we have. For a start women have the vote but not only that all men have it too. In those times those most likely to have an education voted - now we are all supposed to be educated.

johnofgwent

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>