Alcohol duty freeze extended by six months

Started by SKY News, December 21, 2022, 07:00:22 AM

« previous - next »

patman post

The problem for many pubs is that they don't realise they are primarily businesses. The old model of the  jovial landlord and landlady is largely confined to fiction and history.

Often owners and managers think they're running friendly social clubs with themselves downing too many drinks, and bar staff serving free drinks to friends — all eating into profit. 

Slow service and inattentive staff also kill custom and profitability.

Now the regular expenses have shot up, even the moderately incompetent are being hit. 

Being welcoming and professionally serving customers with a thoughtfully researched selection of well kept beverages and good food  in clean and tidy premises are musts if the pub is to survive. 

Even Wetherspoons is having to rationalise and (possibly temporarily) shed some of its establishments. The group keeps a constant eye on its receipts and outgoings and needs to adapt accordingly...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on December 26, 2022, 01:38:56 PM

This link is copyright protected so I can't copy an past from it.

50 pubs closing every month as numbers hit record low (bighospitality.co.uk)

You do often post pseudo legal bollocks. You can quote verbatim extracts from any publicly available source provided to give full credit to your source...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on December 26, 2022, 12:08:54 PM
The pub has been my second home for the past near on 50 years . 
Given the rate pubs are shutting down you will soon be lucky to have a pub to go to.

This link is copyright protected so I can't copy an past from it.

50 pubs closing every month as numbers hit record low (bighospitality.co.uk)

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: srb7677 on December 26, 2022, 11:31:04 AM
The pub was my second home when I was a young man. These days if I go in one and buy a pint, that's the best part of a fiver wiped out. Those kind of prices for pub drinking are prohibitive for many which is a big part of the reason why so many fewer of us are going there so often, resulting in waves of pub closures. There is an increasing trend visible for many years now for groups of friends who once might have met up in the local pub to do so in each others' houses instead, bringing their own booze bought in a supermarket at prices pubs cannot compete with.

If we want to save our local pubs, we somehow need to make them much cheaper. Abolishing the duties on beers, lagers and wines sold in pubs might be the way to go. Though as always such suggestions beg the question as to how this is to be paid for. Higher duties on luxury drinks like champagne and higher duties on alcohol sold in supermarkets might be a couple of suggestions. But neither is likely to raise enough.

In recent years, those pubs which have diversified by an increased focus upon selling pub food have been the ones most likely to survive. But now the price of food is going through the roof this too is becoming a problem area. Pubs need help if we don't want to lose them but it boils down to a need to keep food and drink reasonably priced. How we achieve that and pay for that is the difficult bit if we don't want to go down the route of state subsidies for pubs.
The pub has been my second home for the past near on 50 years . Its where I meet my freinds , its where I meet new friends , its my job centre where I can pick up some work or some workers to help me out . Its where I met the wife ,celebrated many occasions and put the world to rights .
Its where rebellion starts , bright ideas formed and stupid ones dissmissed .

The pub is the engine room of the Nation , its beating heart with which without we would become France , a country of cafe's and bistros sitting in isolation at a table with a white table cloth ready to wave in surrender .

I dont want to go in a pub that is full of diners ,thats not a pub its restraunt that will live or die on the quality of its food . The Pub will survive on the quality and price of its beer and though the government can not help with the quality it can certainly help with the price by removing ALL taxes associated with a Public House

Its not a question of how that is paid for because without help the taxes pubs pay wont be there anyway , may as well just right it off now and save our society and  our sanity

srb7677

Quote from: Streetwalker on December 21, 2022, 07:48:11 AM
Should be abolished it  altogether along with the VAT  .  Would give pubs a chance of staying open
The pub was my second home when I was a young man. These days if I go in one and buy a pint, that's the best part of a fiver wiped out. Those kind of prices for pub drinking are prohibitive for many which is a big part of the reason why so many fewer of us are going there so often, resulting in waves of pub closures. There is an increasing trend visible for many years now for groups of friends who once might have met up in the local pub to do so in each others' houses instead, bringing their own booze bought in a supermarket at prices pubs cannot compete with.

If we want to save our local pubs, we somehow need to make them much cheaper. Abolishing the duties on beers, lagers and wines sold in pubs might be the way to go. Though as always such suggestions beg the question as to how this is to be paid for. Higher duties on luxury drinks like champagne and higher duties on alcohol sold in supermarkets might be a couple of suggestions. But neither is likely to raise enough.

In recent years, those pubs which have diversified by an increased focus upon selling pub food have been the ones most likely to survive. But now the price of food is going through the roof this too is becoming a problem area. Pubs need help if we don't want to lose them but it boils down to a need to keep food and drink reasonably priced. How we achieve that and pay for that is the difficult bit if we don't want to go down the route of state subsidies for pubs.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

patman post

Quote from: Streetwalker on December 21, 2022, 07:48:11 AM
Should be abolished it  altogether along with the VAT  .  Would give pubs a chance of staying open
Agree with the sentiment — hospitality costs have risen to a level where any establishments are closing because customers are finding prices too high while their own incomes are increasingly stretched.

The hospitality industry has many plus points — not least in helping to maintain morale among many of the general public — and should be given as much help as possible...

Streetwalker

SKY News

Alcohol duty freeze extended by six months

Alcohol duty rates will be frozen for a further six months until August 2023, the government has confirmed.

Source: Alcohol duty freeze extended by six months