There is a lot of it about.

Started by papasmurf, December 21, 2022, 10:01:17 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on December 21, 2022, 07:38:52 PM
Excess or regular, they've managed to hide about 150K deaths somewhere.
Nick just what are you referring to, and over what timescale.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: Barry on December 21, 2022, 02:55:13 PM
He means the mortality rate. Nick is a concept man, rather than a details man.
Excess or regular, they've managed to hide about 150K deaths somewhere. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Streetwalker

Quote from: cromwell on December 21, 2022, 11:32:19 AM
Yes there is a lot of it about and if you get it it's bloody awful Puke

Still soon be Christmas ???
Ive had more jabs than a Labrador puppy so if I cross my fingers I might make it through to the new year without the lergy 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on December 21, 2022, 01:02:33 PM
If you look at excess deaths they've been around the 500K mark for years, 
Nick what are you on about? Wherever did you get that figure from. £500k per annum is about how many people die, excess deaths are nowhere near that, it is a weekly figure published by the ONS.

Deaths registered weekly in England and Wales, provisional - Office for National Statistics (ons.gov.uk)

Excess mortality in England and English regions - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Barry

Quote from: patman post on December 21, 2022, 02:38:16 PM
This I do not follow as I'm slightly tipsy — if excess deaths are regularly 500,000 above normal then either that figure is the norm or, over ten years, say, compounded excess deaths would amount to an enormous total, surely...?
He means the mortality rate. Nick is a concept man, rather than a details man.
† The end is nigh †

patman post

Quote from: Nick on December 21, 2022, 01:02:33 PM
If you look at excess deaths they've been around the 500K mark for years, during Covid this rose to 535K deaths, so where have they hidden an extra 150K so called Covid deaths?
This I do not follow as I'm slightly tipsy — if excess deaths are regularly 500,000 above normal then either that figure is the norm or, over ten years, say, compounded excess deaths would amount to an enormous total, surely...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

patman post

Interesting take on current Covid impact in China:

https://www.lemonde.fr/en/covid-19-pandemic/article/2022/12/17/as-covid-19-explodes-china-now-is-voluntarily-locking-down_6008137_122.html

Away from China and Covid, it seems that lockdowns and other measures have impacted physical health almost everywhere. Outbreaks of normal contagious ailments have risen due isolation preventing herd immunity of childhood diseases, and of flu and winter vomiting bug.

I'm going to see if our relatives here are able to provide some paediatric antibiotics we can take back home in case our two get infected with the current strep outbreak...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: Barry on December 21, 2022, 11:04:07 AM
Covid didn't kill all of them. Those just happened to have a positive test in the previous 28 days.
If you look at excess deaths they've been around the 500K mark for years, during Covid this rose to 535K deaths, so where have they hidden an extra 150K so called Covid deaths?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

cromwell

Yes there is a lot of it about and if you get it it's bloody awful Puke

Still soon be Christmas ???
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on December 21, 2022, 11:12:19 AM
Barry that is spin.
How many people are tested in hospital for influenza Smurfy?
That's what inflates figures.
More people are dying of the flu than covid but the NHS and people like you have a bad case of tunnel vision.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/articles/howcoronaviruscovid19compareswithfluasacauseofdeath/2022-05-23

In contrast, there were 170,600 deaths, where COVID-19 was mentioned anywhere on the death certificate as cause or contributory factor, compared to 219,207 deaths involving flu and pneumonia.

Directly comparing COVID-19 deaths with those from flu and pneumonia has limitations. For example, death certificates likely underestimate flu deaths because not all patients are tested for it, and circulating flu causes increases in deaths due to other conditions such as cardiovascular diseases. However, these figures do allow us to compare the trends and approximate mortality associated with each.

While COVID-19 is mentioned on fewer death certificates than flu and pneumonia, it is far more likely to be listed as the underlying cause of death

So, spin that!
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on December 21, 2022, 11:04:07 AM
Covid didn't kill all of them. Those just happened to have a positive test in the previous 28 days.
Barry that is spin.

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on December 21, 2022, 10:36:54 AM
Over 400 dead in the last seven days.

England Summary | Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the UK (data.gov.uk)
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

My SIL arrived from the office yesterday looking like death warmed over  apparently. My daughter is already thinking that their planned Christmas is in jeopardy. My other daughter has just returned from sunny climes with what looks like tonsillitis, so likewise it might be touch and go particularly as they have a 3 yr old. Their flight was apparently coughing from front to back and unlike their trip out was packed like sardines coming home. They also had a medical emergency in the seat behind them with a toddler on oxygen halfway through the flight. 
I am struggling to feel even remotely festive so will settle for a quiet time quite happily once again this year if need be.   

papasmurf

Barry

Covid is hardly a threat, now it has morphed into a bad cold.
However the influenza admissions are far in advance of positive covid patients, and, as we all know we don't have to wear any PPE for influenza or a cold, because...
Anyway, happy Christmas shopping. Got 12 beautiful cup cakes yesterday on offer in Morrisons which we are sharing with our granddaughter as we have "borrowed" her for a few days, before returning her on Christmas Eve.
† The end is nigh †