Cardiff grandmother charges family for Christmas dinner

Started by Borchester, December 22, 2022, 01:46:48 PM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: Barry on December 22, 2022, 10:03:34 PM
Is 2 million "several millions"?
No
Dunno, but you are a grandparent and I am a grandparent and if Pappy is inviting us down for a free holiday, well can we afford to pass that up?

Algerie Francais !

Barry

† The end is nigh †

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on December 22, 2022, 09:19:05 PM
Barry you are so far out of touch it is scary. SOME pensioners are better off than average most are not. The cost of living is crippling. I wonder how you are immune to the current problems. My wife and I have our old age pensions and one other pension each. (Neither paying out much.)
My wife had to retire early and because of the rise in the pension age for women had to wait six years for her state pension, which meant her savings were much diminished. If were were not mortgage free we would be in dire financial circumstances alone with many millions of others.

But as you have said, you are mortgage and child free, so you must have spent the last thirty years stashing away telephone numbers.

So I reckon that you can easily afford to invite us all down to spend Christmas, free and for nothing, at your place.

Anyone in favour, say aye

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on December 22, 2022, 09:28:12 PM
Out of touch? Sounds like I was pretty much spot on.
Actually you are out of touch and ill informed the data in this link  is will not reflect the current even worse situation.
Live links at link:-

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/latest-press/articles/2021/number-of-pensioners-living-in-poverty-tops-two-million/
Published on 16 June 2021 12:01 AM
Number of pensioners living in poverty tops two million,
The total number of older people living in poverty in the UK now stands at 2.1 million.[iii]

[iii] DWP (25 March 2021). Households below average income: for financial years ending 1995 to 2020. Summary Results, Table 1.6b. (figures are for relative low income after housing costs).

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on December 22, 2022, 09:19:05 PM
Barry you are so far out of touch it is scary. SOME pensioners are better off than average most are not. The cost of living is crippling. I wonder how you are immune to the current problems. My wife and I have our old age pensions and one other pension each. (Neither paying out much.)
My wife had to retire early and because of the rise in the pension age for women had to wait six years for her state pension, which meant her savings were much diminished. If were were not mortgage free we would be in dire financial circumstances alone with many millions of others.
Out of touch? Sounds like I was pretty much spot on.
† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on December 22, 2022, 09:20:32 PM
No room and if there were it would be £60 a plate.
just put me down on the reserve list and I'll throw in a bottle or two  ;)

papasmurf

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on December 22, 2022, 09:07:49 PM
I'll ignore the poor English and just say, balderdash. Pensioners are amongst the richer in society. Most have state pension and another pension, just like you and Mrs smurf have at least 4 pensions.

Streetwalker

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on December 22, 2022, 08:09:53 PM
The would be several million grandmothers this year.
I'll ignore the poor English and just say, balderdash. Pensioners are amongst the richer in society. Most have state pension and another pension, just like you and Mrs smurf have at least 4 pensions.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on December 22, 2022, 08:00:58 PM
If she can't afford to put on a dinner for the family she should maybe not invite them .
The would be several million grandmothers this year.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Barry on December 22, 2022, 04:12:39 PM
I might understand this of she were a Scot or living on her uppers. I reckon it's a wind up. Must be short of news.
If she can't afford to put on a dinner for the family she should maybe not invite them . Having said that I think its the done thing thing in most cultures to take food to family feasts and we at least would ask if we should bring anything . The normal reply is just yourself but her indoors insists on taking chocolate cakes , just in case they dont have any . ;)

Barry

Quote from: Borchester on December 22, 2022, 01:46:48 PM
It is a point I suppose, but I reckon that if we did that my kids would just find another set of grandparents :)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-64063387
I might understand this of she were a Scot or living on her uppers. I reckon it's a wind up. Must be short of news.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on December 22, 2022, 02:29:13 PM
Misserable old cow

The silly thing is that my lefty, Cardiff based daughter does the whole Christmas bit. Tree, carols, mega scoffs (everyone lives on fried Christmas cake until Spring), midnight mass, tipping beggars etc etc.

But as you say, in the midst of all this happiness, there is always some silly bitch desperate for her 5 minutes of media fame

Algerie Francais !