Main Menu

Give us a job Guv!

Started by T00ts, December 24, 2022, 03:42:09 PM

« previous - next »

T00ts

I've gotta job! It's reading all the stuff you lot churn out each day!  Then I'm lumbered with making decisions that I inevitably get blasted over by those involved. It's such fun!!!  I arrive at the end of each day fast approaching insanity but cromwell keeps me on an even keel when I start throwing things!!  Rant  :(  Butt Kick  Dancing

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on December 24, 2022, 04:53:36 PM
Boredom would do it for me . Ive slowed down a bit in recent years taking more time off and suchlike but I can't wait to get out of the house after a week or so .

True

I can't say that I do much, but it is good to potter.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on December 24, 2022, 05:31:36 PM
You said "I suspect", that doesn't suggest ONS. Can you provide the ONS data?
Nick the ONS and DWP data is published on a regular basis. Then there is this:-

More older workers are leaving employment due to ill-health – but COVID-19 isn't to blame, study finds

10 October 2022

The Health Foundation's analysis ( https://www.health.org.uk/news-and-comment/charts-and-infographics/is-poor-health-driving-a-rise-in-economic-inactivity )finds that by the second quarter of 2022, 200,000 older workers (age 50–69) had left employment due to ill-health since the start of the pandemic: the biggest contributor to the recent rise in economic inactivity for that group. Ill-health is defined as 'people reporting they are temporarily sick or injured or long-term sick and disabled'.

Before the pandemic, people were retiring later and inactivity was falling overall. But this masked the growing number of 50-64 year olds who were inactive due to ill-health. By the start of 2020, there were an additional 110,000 older workers who were no longer working on health grounds compared to 2014. 

This increase in poor health and economic inactivity will be concerning for employers and businesses, as it can restrict labour supply and economic growth. People who are out of work because of poor health are more likely to want to work than those who report they have retired.  

Pre-pandemic, the proportion of those who are inactive with a long-term health condition was around 63%, but this has increased only slightly to 64% post-pandemic, the study finds. This suggests that underlying poor health is playing a significant role in people leaving employment.

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on December 24, 2022, 05:27:01 PM
Office For National Statists and DWP data.
You said "I suspect", that doesn't suggest ONS. Can you provide the ONS data?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Streetwalker

Quote from: T00ts on December 24, 2022, 04:06:41 PM
Perhaps so, that still leaves others who will have from choice. I can't imagine an incentive that would persuade them to rejoin the workforce.
Boredom would do it for me . Ive slowed down a bit in recent years taking more time off and suchlike but I cant wait to get out of the house after a week or so .

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on December 24, 2022, 03:59:06 PM
I suspect a big percentage of those who have retired early is due to ill health.

Could be, although continual automation means that a lot were quietly pushed out. I have probably mentioned this before, but towards the end my boss was in the habit of wondering why I did not take early retirement. I would reply that I saw no reason to sit at home doing nothing on an inadequate pension when I could sit in the office doing the something on full pay.

But a few of my colleagues did go for the poor me, I am a sick man or girlie route. It is hard to resist when the advancing years present one with such a magnificent range of exciting, yet pleasantly ill defined maladies.

But I like to keep things simple :)
Algerie Francais !

Nick

I suspect a big percentage of those who have retired early is due to ill health.
Based on what?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on December 24, 2022, 04:06:41 PM
Perhaps so, that still leaves others who will have from choice. I can't imagine an incentive that would persuade them to rejoin the workforce.
I don't either, other than the now very high cost of living.

T00ts

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on December 24, 2022, 03:42:09 PM
Well by all accounts Sunak is suggesting that those who have taken 'early' retirement might  un-retire.

T00ts

Well by all accounts Sunak is suggesting that those who have taken 'early' retirement might  un-retire. Well that's very nice. How is he going to remove the youth culture that seems to dominate so many places, or is he imagining that they are going to fill the hospitality vacancies, fruit picking etc?

I just wonder how big the incentives will be to encourage this.