Have you been affected by the strikes?

Started by Borchester, December 28, 2022, 08:44:39 AM

« previous - next »

Baff

Quote from: patman post on December 28, 2022, 10:17:25 AM
Strikes have had little effect on our personal lives so far.

Workwise, most research, presentation and report writing has been done from home for the past two years.

Much client conferencing is done online and it's becoming more efficient as we use it more — the face to face and personal element is noticeably less important.

Something is happening, though, and now we're in France for the holidays, we've noticed differences. The supermarkets both in country and town are way better stocked here than those we use in London — greater range and no empty shelves. Smaller stores are busy and people are gearing up for the New Year. The whole  look and ambience of the places we've been seem a complete step up from locations I've had to visit recently.

Whatever Baff and Nick wish was the case in the UK, the country noticeably gone downhill compared to its nearest neighbour...

Ireland? Lol.

Imaginary empty supermarket shelves must be a great concern for everyone.

While you are in France, find out how much their electricity now costs.
Total incompetence.

How are the riots?
Must be very exciting.

Barry

The Christmas present I ordered for my Mrs didn't turn up, which was a bit of a pain (for me).
So you can all guess what me and Mrs think of the postal workers and Grinches.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on December 28, 2022, 10:17:25 AM

Something is happening, though, and now we're in France for the holidays, we've noticed differences. The supermarkets both in country and town are way better stocked here than those we use in London — greater range and no empty shelves.
Is there still a mustard shortage? (There was a few months ago.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

Workwise, most research, presentation and report writing has been done from home for the past two years. 

Much client conferencing is done online and it's becoming more efficient as we use it more — the face to face and personal element is noticeably less important.

Something is happening, though, and now we're in France for the holidays, we've noticed differences. The supermarkets both in country and town are way better stocked here than those we use in London — greater range and no empty shelves. Smaller stores are busy and people are gearing up for the New Year. The whole  look and ambience of the places we've been seem a complete step up from locations I've had to visit recently.

Whatever Baff and Nick wish was the case in the UK, the country noticeably gone downhill compared to its nearest neighbour...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Streetwalker

The local post office has said they are prioritising parcels and if we want letters should go and pick them up ourselves at the sorting office .
I'll wait till they get round to it 

The train strike in the new year will be the first problem for most people as they go back to work . The Mrs has already been told to work from home which means the heating will be on all day so yes I guess Im affected in that my  bills will be a bit more , 
I'll have to be a bit creative with my tax return in April and claw it back 

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on December 28, 2022, 08:47:39 AM
I have two postal deliveries that are late, one supplier has stopped using Royal Mail, so instead of free delivery it is now 95p per package. Other than that zero effect.

Ditto.

Half a dozen post holders I need to build my fruit cage have failed to turn up, but I am not in a rush and it is piddling down with rain anyway, so I am not much fussed
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on December 28, 2022, 08:44:39 AM
I sort of expect the trains and post to arrive late so I am not bothered by whatever the railway workers and posties get up too. And my impression of the NHS is of brisk inefficiency, so I can't say that I have noticed much change as a result of the nurses strike.

How about you guys?
I have two postal deliveries that are late, one supplier has stopped using Royal Mail, so instead of free delivery it is now 95p per package. Other than that zero effect.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

I sort of expect the trains and post to arrive late so I am not bothered by whatever the railway workers and posties get up too. And my impression of the NHS is of brisk inefficiency, so I can't say that I have noticed much change as a result of the nurses strike.

How about you guys?
Algerie Francais !