Have you been affected by the strikes?

Started by Borchester, December 28, 2022, 08:44:39 AM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Coming back to the strikes then. 

Christmas Cards Three Unions Nil

A heartwarming tale worthy of the Hallmark Channel this. 

For the last couple of years someone has sent a Christmas card here. Well they sent it to a house in a street of the same name in a district of Barnstaple but they neglected to put a postcode, and the waste of space software used at the post office just adds the first from the address typed / scanned so when a post town has a district whose name matches a post town or city the whole address gets postcoded, the envelope phosphor dotted and the card delivered to a house 100 miles away in the wrong county because the software doesn't read the next line to find its chosen the wrong town.

So every year I've added the postcode taken it back to the post office down the road vented my ire at the insanity and handed the card over. Each year I've wished I could let the senders know their mistake but .....

This year, the card came and the envelope was ripped in half. I repaired it before adding the postcode and sending it back, this time with additional criticism for the condition it was wrongly received in ....

But this meant the card fell out and bugger me the senders name and address is printed in some sort of embossed ink...

I take up my last unbarcoded 'second' class stamp I've had for several years and one of the stack of fairly generic cards I bought last January and begin a personal message 'dear mr and mrs smith (not their name) you don't know me but for the past 25 years I've lived at 12 (this street in a Welsh shithole) (not my actual words) and every year for a while now we've had the card you intend for 12 (same street in a district with the same name as that shithole post town) ... etc 

You get my drift.

Well yesterday we had a Christmas card in the post. From the people who posted the card without the postcode.

Thanking us for taking the trouble to redirect their card after its little adventure across the river Severn which they said they thought few would take the trouble to fix.

I fear they might be right in that last point but the old romantic optimist buried under layers of permafrost suffocating me hopes not.

They used to deliver the card by hand but are getting on a bit and never thought it would need the postcode (that they didn't know) for a house barely 400 yards away. They went in to say they've made a note so hopefully next years won't have quite such an adventure.

Oh dear I'm getting quite misty eyed here. Doing something I was brought up to think the right thing to do, being thanked for it AND getting not just one but three over on the postal strikers by getting two second class cards out of wales in time for Christmas and one back in time for new year.

It's too much. I'm gonna need to go warm up some mulled wine and say happy new year.

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on December 28, 2022, 11:22:24 PM
And now a link that's 10 months old, spectacular lol
That price is set until the end of 2022. 
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on December 28, 2022, 04:42:52 PM
Baff that is rubbish.
The current cost of a kwh in France is 18.4 centimes for domestic electricity, far cheaper than Britain.

France electricity prices, March 2022 | GlobalPetrolPrices.com
And now a link that's 10 months old, spectacular lol
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on December 28, 2022, 02:42:49 PM
That is total rubbish Baff chart at link:-

Energy crisis: How does the UK's soaring gas and electricity bills compare with Europe? | Euronews
Yeah right!! I'm really going to take notice of a rag that doesn't know the U.K. is actually part of Europe lol An article that's almost 4 months old, is there no depths you won't go to to try and prove yourself right lol lol lol
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on December 28, 2022, 04:12:12 PM
Just returned from One Nation, a large brand outlet shopping centre to the west of Paris. The place was buzzing. No riots. No demos. No problems. Even the vast underground car park is decorated almost to the point of luxury — polished floor, and elevators befitting a modern airport rather than the filthy council-block type dimpled zinc plate clad box found mostly in Britain's not-free shopping parks...

That is because One Nation is a rag shop. Women like that sort of thing. It is the same at Brent Cross in London. Rush into the gents, point Percy to porcelain, miss and before you can zip up someone is mopping the floor. Strange but true. But that impresses the hell out of women.

But the real question is why you were trailing behind Mrs P while she picked everything up, put it down, asked if they had the something bigger but in the same size and after years and years of that, finally left in the frock she came in.

Men should restrict their shopping to giving the womenfolk a kiss and their credit card, prior to heading for anywhere that ain't a dress shop.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Baff on December 28, 2022, 03:51:22 PM
1,000 euros per megawatt-hour:

Baff that is rubbish.
The current cost of a kwh in France is 18.4 centimes for domestic electricity, far cheaper than Britain.

France electricity prices, March 2022 | GlobalPetrolPrices.com

patman post

Quote from: Baff on December 28, 2022, 11:41:12 AM
Ireland? Lol.

Imaginary empty supermarket shelves must be a great concern for everyone.

While you are in France, find out how much their electricity now costs.
Total incompetence.

How are the riots?
Must be very exciting.
Just returned from One Nation, a large brand outlet shopping centre to the west of Paris. The place was buzzing. No riots. No demos. No problems. Even the vast underground car park is decorated almost to the point of luxury — polished floor, and elevators befitting a modern airport rather than the filthy council-block type dimpled zinc plate clad box found mostly in Britain's not-free shopping parks...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Baff

Quote from: papasmurf on December 28, 2022, 02:42:49 PM
That is total rubbish Baff chart at link:-

Energy crisis: How does the UK's soaring gas and electricity bills compare with Europe? | Euronews

1,000 euros per megawatt-hour:  That's the astronomical amount of the wholesale price of electricity reached at the end of August in France.

https://www.lemonde.fr/en/les-decodeurs/article/2022/09/10/six-questions-about-soaring-electricity-prices_5996483_8.html

By comparison, the UK's peaked at £675, Germany's peaked at 990 Euro's and Frances own peak price was at 1,130 Euro's.
(Almost double the highest price paid for electricity in the UK).

papasmurf

patman post

Ireland? Lol.

Total incompetence.

How are the riots?
Must be very exciting.
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Baff

By hiding the costs from the people paying it? LMAO.
Great.

So they get more tax riots instead. That makes all the difference.

They screwed up.
That is all.
They have turned off half of their power stations at the same time.
This is purely and simply self inflicted mismanagement of their energy sector on a scale that makes our own total idiots appear competent by comparison.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Baff on December 28, 2022, 01:53:32 PM
It's not "last October" any more.
No. But you might find the granny snatcher in charge there is so afraid of riots he's acted to keep the prices down.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Baff

Quote from: papasmurf on December 28, 2022, 12:39:47 PM
My last holiday in France, (Brittany) last October in a rented mobile home, cost us a whole €8 for two weeks for electricity. That was with electric heating.

The most expensive electricity on earth.
Nowhere costs more than France.

Congratulations the French. Enjoy your latest round of cost of living riots.

It is always reassuring no matter how bad things are in your life, to find out that some else has got it worse.
And for this blessing, we can all thank the French.

johnofgwent

So far the only real pain was I could not find a pair of thinsulate gloves to fit me in the shops so I ordered a pair off Amazon and the twats sent them by Royal Mail not Amazon prime van, so they never arrived. Can I sue the Royal Mail for the nerve damage the cold weather caused ? Under Maggie I bet I could have ...

papasmurf

Ireland? Lol.

Total incompetence.

How are the riots?
Must be very exciting.
My last holiday in France, (Brittany) last October in a rented mobile home, cost us a whole €8 for two weeks for electricity. That was with electric heating.