Brexit trade talks: EU to back Spain over Gibraltar

Started by Thomas, February 01, 2020, 06:11:12 PM

« previous - next »

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Barry post_id=15059 time=1580654885 user_id=51
17,000,000 UK tourists go to Spain every year, although it could be as many as 17,410,742! Spain would really do well not to upset that, as tourism is more than 10% of their GDP.

There are pluses and minuses in all these negotiating tactics and threats.  :evil:

Let's run through this *again*

Tourism is important to the Spanish economy. It makes up 11% of GDP.  However, tourism contributes 9% to the UK GDP.

Not a vast difference

When it comes to visitors about 20% of tourists in Spain come from the UK.  That number may fall a little. Say it halves. That's 1% of GDP, tops.

When it comes to the UK, about half our tourists come from the EU. If the visits fall by a similar amount that's nearly 2% of GDP.

So yes, would feel a loss of tourists, but the UK is far from immune to the same sort of losses.

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell post_id=15088 time=1580659828 user_id=48
Who am I to complain?well I thought upholding a vote was important

It was , but england and wales vote leave , we didnt in scotland nor did the irish. What about respecting our vote? Thats the trouble with this democracy lark cromwell , when you disrespect others votes in other countries they tend to return it in kind.
Is it? tell that to the Catalans

Diversion .The catalans are another matter entirely from the point that is being made.You know i agree with the catalans , but they arent in northern irelands or gibraltars situation.

...and whatever happens there  , you have no way to bend it to your advantage do you?

Whereas the spanish do over gibraltar , they have a veto over something you want , and exactly as johnson traded northern ireland against the wishes of the unionist electorate ( whom he lied to )there is no reason why he wont do the same over gibraltar to protect londons interests , without giving a fig for what the people of gibraltar want.

So this touching anglo saxon concern for the people of catalonia and wherever sounds empty and hollow when you are quite happy to piss over scotland against our wishes , northern ireland or anyone else when it suits.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

cromwell

Quote from: Thomas post_id=15085 time=1580659500 user_id=58
What that spain has a veto over any uk trade deal that is going to hamper the uk getting what it wants????

What the same as you  , many in your country and your government dont give a feck wether or not you upset northern irish unionists as long as little england gets brexit , feck the jocks paddies and any one else?

If the spanish show your countries attitude and listen to borkie s constant dismissal of any brexit dissent among the celts , then if spain do the same over gibraltar who are you to complain??

Who am I to complain?well I thought upholding a vote was important

QuoteEuropeans taking a leaf out of englands book....who very dare they! Alls fair in love and war cromwell , reap what you sow.

Is it? tell that to the Catalans
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell post_id=15082 time=1580659254 user_id=48
Of course I did,you were pointing out the reality and I just posted another,

What that spain has a veto over any uk trade deal that is going to hamper the uk getting what it wants????

QuoteSpain does want Gib,the eu will now support them in that and don't give a toss whether the people who live there object.

What the same as you  , many in your country and your government dont give a feck wether or not you upset northern irish unionists as long as little england gets brexit , feck the jocks paddies and any one else?

If the spanish show your countries attitude and listen to borkie s constant dismissal of any brexit dissent among the celts , then if spain do the same over gibraltar who are you to complain???

Europeans taking a leaf out of englands book....who very dare they! Alls fair in love and war cromwell , reap what you sow.

cromwell

Quote from: Thomas post_id=15056 time=1580654425 user_id=58
No one is saying the gibraltarians do want to be part of spain.Did you not read this i posted earlier in the thread cromwell...

The fact f the matter is though gibraltar voted 96% to remain in the eu , and from what little i understand no one is talking about hading them over to the spanish , it could go down the lines of joint sovereignty or gibraltar remaining in the eu just like northern ireland is.

The point is the spanish and their obsession over gibraltar just became a big deal in terms of the uk doing a trade deal with the eu. Thats all im saying .

This is the point i was talking about earlier where borkie likes to run around pretending everything is fine and we can all just laugh and ignore the micks or pedro etc etc over all these issues. At some point that bubble bursts and thing s start to get real.

Of course I did,you were pointing out the reality and I just posted another,

Spain does want Gib,the eu will now support them in that and don't give a toss whether the people who live there object.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Thomas

Anyway wheres baron von lotsov?

Ah there you are hope you had a good day today baron.

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=14650 time=1580323765 user_id=74
Thank you. I lunched with Countess Puchowska (whose family lost their estates in Pomerania whilst retaining the title albeit unofficially until more recent times) in a delightful dining room on the nearby island of Hiddensee. Such tales as she shared with the company. Ah... Mais où sont les neiges d'antan?

:lol:

Thomas

Quote from: T00ts post_id=15073 time=1580657776 user_id=54
LOL You could be right there.

Well why dont you toots , and put it to the test? There is nothing stopping little england to quote greg holding a referndum on ending the yookay is there?

i mean do these auld chestnuts about wee scotland holding england prisoner in the horrbile yookay just get trotted out randomly once a year by the uninformed?

One minute you are sticking it to the eurpeans , beating the world in world war one and two all on your own ,taking the world by storm over trade etc etc ,but the idea wee scotland and 5 half million jocks are somehow stopping england leaving or ending the yookay is risible toots , and im surprised you actually agree with this heidcase.

I would be doing feckin cartwheeels if that ever happened , putting statues up of english leaders all over glasgow and offering lifetime awards and recompense to any of you who  managed it. You would all be welcome to the party.

Thomas

Quote from: GregB post_id=15072 time=1580657347 user_id=72
You're spot on, even if little England decided to have a referendum (hypothetical of course) on whether Scotland should remain in the union or not and the result was an overwhelming majority to set Scotland loose the SNP would still whinge and reject  the result even when given their dream on a plate. They'd not be happy the decision was taken for them.

Well can you prove that?

I mean this is just bollocks. England could hold a referndum to end the union any time it likes. It totally controls the uk de facto english parliament with 82 % of representation , you currently have a party in the english conservative party with 95% of its representation in England , and a massive majority in the commons , and you could easily legislate to hold a referendum in england ending the union with scotland.Yet you dont?

Why is that?

You can hold a referendum on leaving the much larger and powerfull european union , but cant leave 5 half million scots behind ? Why is that?

The idea a party , thats the snp , whose very reason for existence is scottish indy from england and the ending of the yookay union , would "whinge and reject " the result is nothing more than utter horseshit and your own sour grapes and pathetic whinging.

You tell us you are going to go out and conquer the world after brexit  , the paddies  , pedro in spain , the krauts in deutschland , the frogs ,etc etc are all going to fall at your feet and want a piece of your action over trade , yet somehow you cant shake wee scotland loose from your island empire?

Honestly  , i have heard some shit in my time but you take the biscuit.

T00ts

Quote from: GregB post_id=15072 time=1580657347 user_id=72
You're spot on, even if little England decided to have a referendum (hypothetical of course) on whether Scotland should remain in the union or not and the result was an overwhelming majority to set Scotland loose the SNP would still whinge and reject  the result even when given their dream on a plate. They'd not be happy the decision was taken for them.

LOL You could be right there.

GregB

Quote from: T00ts post_id=15068 time=1580656612 user_id=54
I have a nasty feeling that no matter how good or bad the deal we strike with or without the EU there will never be anything good enough for Ireland or the Scottish SNP. They have only one agenda and my fear is that the focus on independence/reunification blurs the vision of any other details. If ever we (All the British Isles) needed real statesmen it is now.

Thomas

QuoteEU's Tusk fans flames of UK division pushing EU membership for independent Scotland

DONALD Tusk has taken a potshot at UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson with the incendiary claim that there is broad support in Brussels for an independent Scotland joining the bloc - adding that he "feels very Scottish" in the wake of Brexit.
[/b]

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1236813/brexit-news-donald-tusk-scotland-snp-nicola-sturgeon-boris-johnson-eu">https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics ... johnson-eu">https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1236813/brexit-news-donald-tusk-scotland-snp-nicola-sturgeon-boris-johnson-eu

http://www.bbc.co.uk">www.bbc.co.uk › news › uk-scotland-scotland-politics-51342714

'Empathy' for independent Scotland joining the EU says Tusk ...

15 hours ago - Former European Council president Donald Tusk says Brussels feels "empathy" towards an independent Scotland joining the European Union.

http://www.theguardian.com">www.theguardian.com › politics › feb › donald-tusk-eu-would-be-ent...

Tusk: EU would be enthusiastic if Scotland applied to rejoin ...

1 hour ago - Donald Tusk, the ...

Missing: joining ‎| Must include: joining

http://www.mirror.co.uk">www.mirror.co.uk › News › Politics › Donald Tusk

Donald Tusk says Scotland would be welcomed into EU ...

3 hours ago - Donald Tusk says Scotland would be welcomed into EU 'enthusiastically'. But the ... Scotland would have to make a separate application to join.

inews.co.uk › News › Politics

'empathy' for Scotland joining EU, says Donald Tusk

4 hours ago - Donald Tusk, the former European Council president, has said that Brussels feels "empathy" towards an independent Scotland joining the ...

http://www.heraldscotland.com">www.heraldscotland.com › news › 18205081.donald-tusk-empathy-to...

Donald Tusk: There would be 'empathy' towards Scotland ...

5 hours ago - Former European Council president Donald Tusk has said Brussels feels "empathy" towards an independent Scotland joining the European ...

Thomas

Quote from: T00ts post_id=15068 time=1580656612 user_id=54
I have a nasty feeling that no matter how good or bad the deal we strike with or without the EU there will never be anything good enough for Ireland or the Scottish SNP. They have only one agenda and my fear is that the focus on independence/reunification blurs the vision of any other details. If ever we (All the British Isles) needed real statesmen it is now.

did you see the news toots that sinn fein are doing extremely well in the irish election according to the polls ,and there could be a chance you are dealing with sinn fein /IRA who will hold a veto over and uk trade deal?

You were told as far back as 2014 that brexit would destabilise the union , we all went into intricate detail on the old forum , and now you are reaping what you sow.

It beggars belief you actually thought scotland and northern ireland will come on board with brexit as simple as that. You are in for years of internal fighting , and any slip up johnson makes is going to be pounced on time and again by your enemies within and without the uk. Thats of course assuming the uk survives.

I am astounded how quick out the blocks the eu has been since friday regarding publicly acknowledging taking scotland into the eu if we become independent.

You are england , not the british isles , and your country is merely 40% of the land of these islands .Its the majority in that wee country that want brexit , no one else.( # welsh)

T00ts

Thomas

Quote from: Barry post_id=15059 time=1580654885 user_id=51
17,000,000 UK tourists go to Spain every year, although it could be as many as 17,410,742! Spain would really do well not to upset that, as tourism is more than 10% of their GDP.

There are pluses and minuses in all these negotiating tactics and threats.  :evil:

Well thats the question barry essentially regarding the whole brexit debate.  It boils literally down to no matter what the country we are talking about , you think johnny foreigner needs you as much as if not more than you need them.

We are just about to see that though arent we?

It hasnt stopped wee ireland ragdolling the british empire about in negotiations regarding the 6 counties , despite this they need us more than we need them mentality.

So why will it similarly stop spain?

Remember we were told the german car makers would have big angie like a bit of putty in their hands regarding doing a deal with the uk and the eu caving in? What happened tae that?

Remember we were told the eu is on the brink of collapse , le pen is going to sweep to power and take france out? Whit happened to that?

Remember we were told the polish have one foot out the door? Yet only this morning we have a poll showing the poles 96% in favour of eu membership , up 6 points on where they were a few years back?So whit happened?

Forgive me barry if i dont believe brexiter predictions. So far you have done the easy bit , beating the remainers in your own england. Now comes the heavy graft.

Barry

† The end is nigh †