There is a housing price crash due in 2023

Started by Borchester, December 28, 2022, 11:06:43 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on December 29, 2022, 06:38:36 PM
Ha Ha

This is where Smurf says Cornwall doesn't know what's going on in Cornwall lol

https://www.cornish-times.co.uk/news/cornwall-delivers-second-highest-number-of-affordable-homes-in-england-540547
Nick, laugh away that does not stand up to close scrutiny. Given how few the number is, and "affordable" to who. 
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on December 29, 2022, 06:13:05 PM
Where I live isn't Bedfordshire. I do open my eyes and frankly far too many housing associations appear to be "iffy."
"Affordable Housing" is an Oxymoron. To be affordable to local people where I live they would need to be no more than £100000.
As for fitting solar panels with the necessary battery storage, the cost of that is well beyond the price most people at the lower income end could afford. (I costed that for me recently and frankly the government are joking.)
Ha Ha

This is where Smurf says Cornwall doesn't know what's going on in Cornwall lol

https://www.cornish-times.co.uk/news/cornwall-delivers-second-highest-number-of-affordable-homes-in-england-540547

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on December 29, 2022, 04:53:08 PM
The point is Nick the Tories are doctrinally opposed to council housing. "Affordable Homes" is an Oxymoron.
Dodge #1

How many did Labour build?

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on December 29, 2022, 06:13:05 PM
Where I live isn't Bedfordshire. I do open my eyes and frankly far too many housing associations appear to be "iffy."
"Affordable Housing" is an Oxymoron. To be affordable to local people where I live they would need to be no more than £100000.
As for fitting solar panels with the necessary battery storage, the cost of that is well beyond the price most people at the lower income end could afford. (I costed that for me recently and frankly the government are joking.)
LOL Oh Pappy we all know where you live! As far as I can see you also have Housing Assocs in Cornwall. They provide the housing stock for rent and they are fitted with Solar power etc. You apparently also have Council but I believe they provide the tenants from their lists, although I haven't checked that thoroughly.  What there aren't is Council estates being built. Nationally now the ethos is mixed living. 

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on December 29, 2022, 05:13:04 PM
Don't call me ignorant. That's unnecessary and extremely rude. Open your eyes Pappy. I am telling you that here and in Bedfordshire that I know particularly well Housing Assocs replaced Councils. Which I believe is Nation wide, and these house are built now on estates of mixed housing. My SIL who is an estate agent prioritising on new build, spent some time explaining what to look for. They are not 'advertised' simply built mixed in, in the hope that ghetto's don't form. Too often people are buying houses to suddenly find that they are surrounded by tenants supplied by the housing lists.

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on December 29, 2022, 05:07:06 PM
T00ts until now I had no idea how ignorant and biased you are. Housing Associations are NOT council housing.
The only housing where I live that has solar panels are owner occupied. The HA housing is all rental.
Don't call me ignorant. That's unnecessary and extremely rude. Open your eyes Pappy. I am telling you that here and in Bedfordshire that I know particularly well Housing Assocs replaced Councils. Which I believe is Nation wide, and these house are built now on estates of mixed housing. My SIL who is an estate agent prioritising on new build, spent some time explaining what to look for. They are not 'advertised' simply built mixed in, in the hope that ghetto's don't form. Too often people are buying houses to suddenly find that they are surrounded by tenants supplied by the housing lists.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on December 29, 2022, 05:01:46 PM
This simply is not true. Every housing estate has Housing Assoc housing which is how Council housing is now run. Look at any estate and pick out the HA buildings. They are the ones with solar panels on the rooftops and every other mod con that house buyers have to put in themselves. Builders have to put in a minimum number of them to get planning.
T00ts until now I had no idea how ignorant and biased you are. Housing Associations are NOT council housing. 
The only housing where I live that has solar panels are owner occupied. The HA housing is all rental.

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on December 29, 2022, 04:53:08 PM
The point is Nick the Tories are doctrinally opposed to council housing. "Affordable Homes" is an Oxymoron.
This simply is not true. Every housing estate has Housing Assoc housing which is how Council housing is now run. Look at any estate and pick out the HA buildings. They are the ones with solar panels on the rooftops and every other mod con that house buyers have to put in themselves. Builders have to put in a minimum number of them to get planning.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on December 29, 2022, 04:34:32 PM
And how many of these affordable homes did Labour build in their previous tenure?

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on December 29, 2022, 03:49:34 PM
What is needed in Cornwall is 20000 council houses built for local people only. "Affordable Housing" a much used phrase by the Tory Government and Tory County Council will not solve the housing crisis.
And how many of these affordable homes did Labour build in their previous tenure?

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on December 29, 2022, 02:51:46 PM

What I would like to see is lots more housing built to cure the shortage.
What is needed in Cornwall is 20000 council houses built for local people only. "Affordable Housing" a much used phrase by the Tory Government and Tory County Council will not solve the housing crisis.

Barry

Quote from: Nick on December 29, 2022, 02:25:34 PM
They won't crash, there is too much demand, and interest rates will be brought to heel in the very near future.
We completed on our house in March, but the price was decided when it went on the market in September 2021, so we've had the benefit of inflation in house prices, inflation in general, with a bit of decorating and modernisation, we are £65k up already.
We are here now for the foreseeable future, so the kids will be happy when we are gone.
As HDQQ says in the 80's it was bad with negative equity and some mortgages being foreclosed, but I doubt we'll see anything like that as house prices over the years have always done better than inflation.
What I would like to see is lots more housing built to cure the shortage.
† The end is nigh †

Nick

Quote from: HDQQ on December 29, 2022, 12:12:30 PM
I became very unpopular on another forum devoted to the idea of house prices crashing because I kept saying they wouldn't crash. I was right, by and large, because in most areas house prices didn't crash (in the few years either side of 2010). Only in some areas where there was a surplus of buy-to-lets did selling prices go down. Why? - Probably because the worsening economy and its associated cost-of-living crisis was absorbed by drastically reducing interest rates, meaning mortgage payments became much lower, a situation that continued until very recently.

So, do I think house prices will crash this time round. I have no idea! They did crash big-time when the Thatcher-Lawson boom of the 1980's ended in a big bust, but not in the 2010's global banking crisis.
They won't crash, there is too much demand, and interest rates will be brought to heel in the very near future.

HDQQ

I became very unpopular on another forum devoted to the idea of house prices crashing because I kept saying they wouldn't crash. I was right, by and large, because in most areas house prices didn't crash (in the few years either side of 2010). Only in some areas where there was a surplus of buy-to-lets did selling prices go down. Why? - Probably because the worsening economy and its associated cost-of-living crisis was absorbed by drastically reducing interest rates, meaning mortgage payments became much lower, a situation that continued until very recently.

So, do I think house prices will crash this time round. I have no idea! They did crash big-time when the Thatcher-Lawson boom of the 1980's ended in a big bust, but not in the 2010's global banking crisis.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

papasmurf

Where I live house prices would need to drop by over 50% before local people would be able to afford them.