The mystery of the Pyramids is

Started by Borchester, January 11, 2023, 10:22:06 PM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 13, 2023, 09:02:09 AM
To be fair its all about lines and levels on most jobs ,the setting out is normally straight forward . Get your site levels sorted and its just add or subtract from that and refering to the drawings . Throw in a bit of Pythagoros and Pi  and your good to go

In the club the answer is 5 with £2 change ;) .

There you are.

In millennium to come archeologists will look at London and say, well, it is just about possible that the ancients built all this with bricks and mud and Polish pianos, but beer at £3.60 a pint? Sounds bollocks. They must have needed help from aliens.:)

Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borchester on January 13, 2023, 12:37:16 AM
I have a degree in maths but I can't lay bricks.

You on the other hand, are a brickie and could build symphonies in stone if the need required. So tell us SW, how often has your maths gotten beyond how many pints you can get out of a £20 note?

The Mayans hadn't gotten as far as a true arch, but they did what could with what they had and did not need any help from aliens, unless of course they were redskins sneaking across the border and offering to do the job for half the price.
To be fair its all about lines and levels on most jobs ,the setting out is normally straight forward . Get your site levels sorted and its just add or subtract from that and refering to the drawings . Throw in a bit of Pythagoros and Pi  and your good to go 

In the club the answer is 5 with £2 change ;) . 

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on January 13, 2023, 12:56:24 AM
You can't guarantee there were no 'Alien' help. Let's face it, you believe in some guy floating around in the clouds with a big white beard.
No, I can't say for definite little purple people from the planet whatever didn't pop in and lend a hand but that's just one of the downsides of being a scientist before I became an engineer.

In my first year as an undergrad the lecturer tasked with introducing us to the strong and weak nuclear forces that play an important part in the structure of matter as we know it convinced us there was a rather unlikely possibility all the molecules in the floor below me would vibrate in the same way and all the molecules in me would vibrate the other and I'd fall through the floor or die gruesomely if they went back to random motion half way through my plunge.

the probability of that is on a par with me winning the euromillions without buying a ticket but it cannot be totally excluded.

I am content to acknowledge the likelihood of extraterrestrial assistance being given to the pyramid builders but I do consider the probability rather less than me receiving an unfunded euromillions win.

of course, if you know where they left a tardis we can pop back and find out what really happened
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on January 13, 2023, 12:56:24 AM
You can't guarantee there were no 'Alien' help. Let's face it, you believe in some guy floating around in the clouds with a big white beard.

Well yes, but I also think that he is an under achiever and a spiteful old bastard to boot and I would put my faith in a the average subie, who may not have super powers but usually has plenty of common sense. Plus, God may be God, but it still took 700 years to build Bristol Cathedral, so how much help was the old fool?
Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: Borchester on January 13, 2023, 12:37:16 AM

You on the other hand, are a brickie and could build symphonies in stone if the need required. So tell us SW, how often has your maths gotten beyond how many pints you can get out of a £20 note?

The Mayans hadn't gotten as far as a true arch, but they did what could with what they had and did not need any help from aliens, unless of course they were redskins sneaking across the border and offering to do the job for half the price.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 12, 2023, 10:18:30 PM
Like the Pyramids the Mayan temples were mathmatically far too accurate to have been built by people who lived in what were basic  Mud huts and tents . Whoever built them it wasn't  the local bricky ;)

Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 12, 2023, 11:11:29 PM
Yes but I had to build the bloody synthesiser from circuit diagrams in practical electronics magazine.

it might have been easier to carve blocks of stone to make my own ziggurat
The biggest cantilever cranes on the planet at present can't lift the blocks and move them to reach the span to build the Pyramids of Giza. The other point is that most Pharaoh movies depict works being controlled by fear, the writings show that they did it for love of their Pharaoh. 
Inside the Great Pyramid of Giza there is a tomb cut from one large piece of sandstone with a door 6' tall by 3' wide. Inside the tomb cut from a large piece of granite is a sarcophagus which is bigger than the doorway, the granite identified as coming from hundreds of miles away. Bearing in mind the tomb and sarcophagus have been NDT tested using ultrasonic and found to have no joints, how did that piece of granite end up carved in the middle of a sandstone tomb? 

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on January 12, 2023, 12:09:23 PM
Alternatively, the Mayans had to spend years building temples and pyramids to produce a ringing tone that you could have produce with a zillionth the effort and cost on a Moog Synthesiser.

Maybe aliens built the Pyramids, but if they didn't appear to have much idea of price control
Yes but I had to build the bloody synthesiser from circuit diagrams in practical electronics magazine. 

it might have been easier to carve blocks of stone to make my own ziggurat
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borchester on January 12, 2023, 12:09:23 PM
Alternatively, the Mayans had to spend years building temples and pyramids to produce a ringing tone that you could have produce with a zillionth the effort and cost on a Moog Synthesiser.

Maybe aliens built the Pyramids, but if they didn't appear to have much idea of price control
Like the Pyramids the Mayan temples were mathmatically far too accurate to have been built by people who lived in what were basic  Mud huts and tents . Whoever built them it wasn't  the local bricky ;)

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on January 12, 2023, 06:20:53 PM
We flew out to Venice in Italy, then sailed to Limassol in Cyprus, then Alexandria in Egypt, then Izmir in Turkey, and finally to Athens in Greece where we visited the Acropolis. We flew back from there.
We sailed from Southampton to Vigo, Lisbon then Tangiers, somewhere in Spain where we bussed it to the Alhambra Palace and then to some place called Queto or something like that. Then back to Southampton. 2 week trip and I remember it was the first time I'd seen an Indian person.

srb7677

I think aliens might have built the House of Commons. Most of the people inside it seem to be from another planet.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on January 12, 2023, 10:41:07 AM
That's weird!! I went on the Uganda around the same year. We went to Vigo, Lisbon and Morocco.
We flew out to Venice in Italy, then sailed to Limassol in Cyprus, then Alexandria in Egypt, then Izmir in Turkey, and finally to Athens in Greece where we visited the Acropolis. We flew back from there.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Borchester

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 12, 2023, 11:52:29 AM
In 2014 Moira and I went to Cancun and took the all day excursion to Chichen Itza the huge Maya pyramid in the thick of the jungle.

What stunned me was if you stood in front of the steps and clapped your hands what you heard reflected was not a clap but a ringing tone. It was surreal to think the Mayans had achieved thousands of years ago what I needed a ramp generator and bucket brigade buffer on a prototype Moog Synthesiser circuit back in 75

If you stood different distances from the steps the note frequency changed

But there was no way on this earth I was generating the notes D, E, C, down an octave for C below that and then up five notes to G. No way this side of hell.

Algerie Francais !

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 12, 2023, 11:31:09 AM
Are you suggesting Aliens had something to do with it ?

Of course, although these days we call them Croatians and Roma

Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on January 12, 2023, 11:49:32 AM
I'm not suggesting that, but in my opinion it can't be ruled out.
Londo Mollari style haircuts are still available ....