Doom mongers wrong again.

Started by Nick, January 13, 2023, 02:52:54 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on January 20, 2023, 09:46:54 AM
Our nearest neighbours are France, Spain, The Netherlands, Scandinavia, not the EU. It's a corrupt cartel that is not required for us to enjoy a relationship with our neighbours.
Given how corrupt the Tories are that comment is a joke.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on January 20, 2023, 08:23:13 AM
But there will always be trade with our nearest neighbours. Our economy would collapse without it.
Our nearest neighbours are France, Spain, The Netherlands, Scandinavia, not the EU. It's a corrupt cartel that is not required for us to enjoy a relationship with our neighbours. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Streetwalker

Quote from: srb7677 on January 20, 2023, 08:23:13 AM
But there will always be trade with our nearest neighbours. Our economy would collapse without it.
I don't think anyone ever said we would stop trading with the EU . The benefits though are obvious in that importers  can now shop around getting us the best deal for our shopping basket 

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on January 19, 2023, 09:52:22 PM
We don't have any EU legislation on our statute books, everything we have is UK law. I think your understanding is flawed.

Benefits
I was in ASDA a couple of days ago to buy something for lunch, I fancied some King Prawns: I had the choice of Vietnamese or Costa Rican King Prawns, they were fresh as could be. Slowly but surely the EU produce is being replaced, we don't need to be part of a shrinking dinosaur, we are part of the world.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Nick

Quote from: patman post on January 19, 2023, 02:46:36 PM
The Brexiteers' list of benefits seems to be taking a hammering too.

When will EU legislation on the UK's statute books be dealt with so that all the oven-ready deals and promised benefits of freedom and the UK's regained sovereignty over its borders can be realised...?
We don't have any EU legislation on our statute books, everything we have is UK law. I think your understanding is flawed. 

Benefits
I was in ASDA a couple of days ago to buy something for lunch, I fancied some King Prawns: I had the choice of Vietnamese or Costa Rican King Prawns, they were fresh as could be. Slowly but surely the EU produce is being replaced, we don't need to be part of a shrinking dinosaur, we are part of the world. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on January 19, 2023, 08:33:28 PM
You mean apart from not having any :)
I have a lot of self respect, but no respect at all for Tories.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on January 19, 2023, 07:33:48 PM
That is NOT a Brexit advantage.  There is nothing wrong with my self respect.

You mean apart from not having any :)
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on January 19, 2023, 06:22:04 PM
Self respect.

Don't worry on it Pappy, that is clearly something that has never bothered you
That is NOT a Brexit advantage.  There is nothing wrong with my self respect.

srb7677

Quote from: Borchester on January 19, 2023, 06:22:04 PM
Self respect.

Nor you.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on January 19, 2023, 03:14:31 PM
What benefits?

Self respect.

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on January 19, 2023, 02:46:36 PM

What benefits?

patman post

Quote from: Nick on January 13, 2023, 02:52:54 PM
The Remoaners list of doom must be getting smaller as their predictions fail to come true, the last one being a recession. November saw a rise in GDP, if only a tiny amount, once again proving the U.K. can stand on its own 2 feet.

When will EU legislation on the UK's statute books be dealt with so that all the oven-ready deals and promised benefits of freedom and the UK's regained sovereignty over its borders can be realised...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on January 16, 2023, 05:38:52 PM
That's not correct. before brexit the UK carriers could fly where they liked in the EU, now that's all changed. Its the same for EU airlines flying in the UK. What's different now is Airlines that want to fly in the EU have setup subsidiaries to do so. BA setup BAEuroflyer and got their lisc last Nov/dec time. Easyjet has Easyjet Europe. Ryanair moved its headquarters out of the UK and setup Ryanair UK Ltd. These are companies setup in the EU or the UK conversely to get around brexit. The airlies turnover/profits/taxes are in the EU or UK respectively, their staff are likewise and so is their pilots lisc, and maintenance crews licensing. From Jan this yr the UK no longer recognises EA SA-issued certificates, thus EU carriers certs for pilots/maintenance/engineers are not recognised, thats a big issue putting EU airlines that have UK subsidiaries at a big cost for double certification.

IF there were a hard brexit, UK flights could have possibly landed in an airport and dropped off or picked up passengers but there's no way they would have been able to fly london-paris-amsterdam-london or even london-frankfurt-hongkong, which would have crippled the UK airlines, hence them setting up EU companies and moving all that lovely money and jobs to Europe, another brexit benefit. But in fairness the opposite is true, but are their many madrid-london-manchester-madrid business?

What I have read those existing contracts have no scope around the areas we are discussing, if a UK plane ground crew doing de-icing or maintenance on a plane destined to an EU city hasn't a current EU recognised certificate, that plane isn't flying to the EU (and visa-versa)

some background on these points

https://ukandeu.ac.uk/brexit-deal-aviation/

https://info.caa.co.uk/uk-eu-transition/
Gerry, you're wrong. There are agreements with individual countries STILL in place that date back to just after the war, nothing to do with the EU, are you arguing with the U.K. head of KLM?

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on January 16, 2023, 02:32:16 PM
An interesting point is that even as more countries join, their share of GDP is still falling at the same rate. They are just filling the EU with baggage and all it will take is for one key contributors to leave and it's game over.

Good point

The latest applicants for EU membership are Turkey, North Macedonia, Montenegro , Serbia, Albania, Moldova,, Ukraine and Bosnia and Herzegovina and even with Gerry's leprechaun economics, they all appear pretty much arseless and with their main export being people and poverty.

I dare say that our glum Catfordite will soon be along to show how this will result in an increase in the average GDP of the EU and that all the toilets of the Balkans are made of solid gold, but to be honest I rather doubt it.

Algerie Francais !

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on January 16, 2023, 01:23:50 PM
That's where you are wrong, we don't need any deal with the EU to keep flying.
I was told in person by Bénédeicte Duval who is General Manager of KLM U.K. that Brexit in any form would stop flights between the U.K. and the EU. There are pre-existing contracts in place that pre-date even the Common Market that are still in force, something the EU can do zero about.
That's not correct. before brexit the UK carriers could fly where they liked in the EU, now that's all changed. Its the same for EU airlines flying in the UK. What's different now is Airlines that want to fly in the EU have setup subsidiaries to do so. BA setup BAEuroflyer and got their lisc last Nov/dec time. Easyjet has Easyjet Europe. Ryanair moved its headquarters out of the UK and setup Ryanair UK Ltd. These are companies setup in the EU or the UK conversely to get around brexit. The airlies turnover/profits/taxes are in the EU or UK respectively, their staff are likewise and so is their pilots lisc, and maintenance crews licensing. From Jan this yr the UK no longer recognises EA SA-issued certificates, thus EU carriers certs for pilots/maintenance/engineers are not recognised, thats a big issue putting EU airlines that have UK subsidiaries at a big cost for double certification.

IF there were a hard brexit, UK flights could have possibly landed in an airport and dropped off or picked up passengers but there's no way they would have been able to fly london-paris-amsterdam-london or even london-frankfurt-hongkong, which would have crippled the UK airlines, hence them setting up EU companies and moving all that lovely money and jobs to Europe, another brexit benefit. But in fairness the opposite is true, but are their many madrid-london-manchester-madrid business?

What I have read those existing contracts have no scope around the areas we are discussing, if a UK plane ground crew doing de-icing or maintenance on a plane destined to an EU city hasn't a current EU recognised certificate, that plane isn't flying to the EU (and visa-versa)

some background on these points

https://ukandeu.ac.uk/brexit-deal-aviation/

https://info.caa.co.uk/uk-eu-transition/