Doom mongers wrong again.

Started by Nick, January 13, 2023, 02:52:54 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on January 24, 2023, 12:00:38 PM
Is that the reading of the runes from the compost heap?

Reports I take seriously either claim we are heading for recession, or that we should manage to dodge one — crunch time is forecast to be the end of the year...
Locally I suspect the crunch for a largish number of businesses will be March/April this year. (Several have already closed permanently due to it just being no longer viable due to increased costs. )
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

Quote from: Borchester on January 24, 2023, 11:51:16 AM
I thought that we were in recession, with Christmas cancelled and Tiny Tim instead of a turkey.

So it looks as though we are weathering the storm quite nicely
Is that the reading of the runes from the compost heap?

Reports I take seriously either claim we are heading for recession, or that we should manage to dodge one — crunch time is forecast to be the end of the year...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on January 24, 2023, 11:38:18 AM

• UK economy has 'undeniably a disappointing start to the year' — After releasing data showing the drop in UK business activity, Chris Williamson, the chief business economist at S&P Global Market Intelligence, said: Weaker than expected purchasing managers index (PMI) numbers in January underscore the risk of the UK slipping into recession.

I thought that we were in recession, with Christmas cancelled and Tiny Tim instead of a turkey.

So it looks as though we are weathering the storm quite nicely
Algerie Francais !

patman post

Quote from: Nick on January 13, 2023, 02:52:54 PM
The Remoaners list of doom must be getting smaller as their predictions fail to come true, the last one being a recession. November saw a rise in GDP, if only a tiny amount, once again proving the U.K. can stand on its own 2 feet.
Fingers in the ears disregard of what's actually happening and the reciting of untrue mantras is likely to exacerbate the UK's economic woes if it spreads outside hard-core Johnson and Truss supporters.

Three reports from today's Telegraph indicate all is not well

• In the United States, inflation has dropped to just 6.5pc. In Germany, it is gradually easing away, down to 7.9pc. In France, it is down to 5.8pc, while in Japan it is a mere 4pc and in Switzerland only 2.8pc. This week, Britain's inflation rate fell to 10.5pc.

• Public borrowing increased by more than expected last month as the Government ploughed billions more of taxpayer cash into its subsidies for household bills and dealt with soaring debt interest payments.

Net borrowing by the Treasury stood at £27.4bn in December, ahead of economists' predictions of £23.2bn for the month.
It was the highest figure for December borrowing on record and nearly double the £16.7bn borrowed the same time a year earlier.
Public sector net debt excluding public sector banks was £2.5trn or around 99.5pc of gross domestic product (GDP), with the debt to GDP ratio at levels last seen in the early 1960s, barring the pandemic.
Public borrowing more than doubled to £22bn in November, which was £13.9bn higher than the same month a year earlier.

• UK economy has 'undeniably a disappointing start to the year' — After releasing data showing the drop in UK business activity, Chris Williamson, the chief business economist at S&P Global Market Intelligence, said: Weaker than expected purchasing managers index (PMI) numbers in January underscore the risk of the UK slipping into recession.
Industrial disputes, staff shortages, export losses, the rising cost of living and higher interest rates all meant the rate of economic decline gathered pace again at the start of the year.
There were some bright spots in the survey, including improved business expectations for the year ahead and a further cooling of inflationary pressures.
But this is undeniably a disappointing start to the year for the UK, reflecting not just short-term hits to growth such as strike action and the rise in energy costs due to the Ukraine war, but also highlighting the ongoing damage to the economy from longer term structural issues such as labour shortages and trade woes linked to Brexit.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/01/24/ftse-100-markets-live-news-strikes-public-sector-borrowing/

.... and items from today's FT don't make happy reading:

• UK business confidence hits two-year low as recession fears mount

• The Bank of England's inflation problem is even worse than it looks

• British retail sales drop unexpectedly in December

• The Brexit effect: how leaving the EU hit the UK — The UK's recent disastrous "mini" Budget can trace its origins back to Britain's decision to leave the European Union. The economic costs of Brexit were masked by the Covid-19 pandemic and the crisis in Ukraine. But six years after the UK voted to leave, the effect has become clear. In this film, senior FT writers and British businesspeople examine how Brexit hit the UK economy, the political conspiracy of silence, and why there has not yet been a convincing case for a 'Brexit dividend'

https://www.ft.com/uk-business-economy
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Sheepy

Back in the real world with government borrowing rising at an astounding rate and higher interest debt payments, you can bet it will be self created pain for everyone else.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Streetwalker

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 20, 2023, 05:02:37 PM
Nick if you bothered to keep up with News and Current Affairs you would know there is a lot of proof.

Just one of many:-

In hindsight, do you think Britain was right or wrong to vote to leave the EU? – What UK Thinks: EU
Result from asking 242 people lol

What a joke lol
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on January 20, 2023, 04:18:07 PM
Supposition with no proof.
Nick if you bothered to keep up with News and Current Affairs you would know there is a lot of proof.

Just one of many:-

In hindsight, do you think Britain was right or wrong to vote to leave the EU? – What UK Thinks: EU

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 20, 2023, 02:52:52 PM
It is Brexit that was wrong and an increasing number of those who voted for it now realise the gravity of their mistake.
Supposition with no proof. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on January 20, 2023, 02:00:35 PM
What has any of that got to do with Remoaners being wrong?
It is Brexit that was wrong and an increasing number of those who voted for it now realise the gravity of their mistake.

Nick

Nick

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on January 20, 2023, 10:17:08 AM
Those neighbour are all part of the EU though.
And like I said, an entity that isn't needed by any of them to do business. 

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on January 20, 2023, 09:46:54 AM
Our nearest neighbours are France, Spain, The Netherlands, Scandinavia, not the EU. It's a corrupt cartel that is not required for us to enjoy a relationship with our neighbours.
Those neighbour are all part of the EU though.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.