How much do you save a month?

Started by Borchester, January 22, 2023, 10:24:19 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 23, 2023, 02:08:32 PM
What "Poll Tax?"
Don't take everything so literally, it's a figure of speech. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on January 23, 2023, 02:06:10 PM

I pay the power bills, the Poll tax for the Rural Ruin,  Herself manages the Poll tax for the London property and the mortgage on the country place. 
What "Poll Tax?"
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 23, 2023, 01:33:01 PM
I haven't got a clue how much I earn ,spend or how much I save . Money has never ruled my life . The Mrs works full time and pays all the bills , she doesnt say anything about them going up so I guess she is coping .

Rather reminds me of when I was working for HMRC and pleasant, but clearly not to be trifled with ladies would ring up and say that they had forwarded their husband/boyfriends' SC60s, now where was the refund? :)

I pay the power bills, the Poll tax for the Rural Ruin, the computer bills and a few other bits and pieces. Herself manages the Poll tax for the London property and the mortgage on the country place. I have never found out how much Madam has in the bank or how much she weighs and have had the sense not to ask, but I know that she is happy with matters as they are.

But as said, the money is quietly silting up. I have never been particularly frugal, but the money is there. Not a lot, but more than I expected
Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

I haven't got a clue how much I earn ,spend or how much I save . Money has never ruled my life . The Mrs works full time and pays all the bills , she doesnt say anything about them going up so I guess she is coping .

papasmurf

We have savings, but not saving schemes. (With interest rates next to zero frankly there is no point.) Just had the new costings for electricity when the current contract runs out. There will be another £50 a month to find. I am still being harassed to get a "Smart" meter fitted, despite my continual objections and "Smart" meters will not function at my location.
We have also had to add £50 a month to the shopping budget which looks like being now nor enough due to the ever increasing cost of food and consumable household products.  The "coal" we use for the open fire and back boiler for the central heating has also risen by 60%.
Luckily we are mortgage free, and our home is band B for council tax, but that is set to rise as well.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

The current onslaught of price rises shows that over the past six months I have spent £125 more each month than my salary after the tax cheat in number 11 has his cut.

There is eighteen grand in the first line savings account 

When that goes the next council tax bill means we lose the house.

I have an axe ready for when the politicians come canvassing.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

I don't save a lot. I have the State and Works pension and a few sidelines that bring in a pound or two but nothing serious. Still, I usually manage a couple of hundred a month although to be fair, it is not so much a matter of saving as that I don't get around to spending it.

Upon mature thought and consideration I have to admit that I am a dreary bastard. I don't smoke or drink, the house is paid for and the kids and grandchildren are lovely, but as tight as ducks' backsides so it is almost impossible to give them money. My main expenditure is stuff for the garden, coffee and a few bob a month to Richard Branson for this electric internet lark.

I have lots of friends who like to tell me how poor they are and I would like to visit them and laugh at their discomfort, but only if I can get to them using my Freedom Pass because they may be friends but I don't like them that much

How about you guys?
Algerie Francais !