Labour to abolish the old age pension

Started by Borchester, January 27, 2023, 06:29:14 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

My pal who is 68 hat a bugger of a time getting his. Endless lies and obfuscation.

His wife died before hers was sorted. Whether this means her estate did not receive the payout she should have received in life I don't know.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on January 30, 2023, 10:55:13 AM
It is wise to claim the State Pension within three months of it being due, or it is likely you will not get it automatically.
An uncle continued working full time and not claiming his state pension until he was 76, this is how it worked for him...

You do not get your State Pension automatically - you have to claim it. You should get a letter no later than 2 months before you reach State Pension age, telling you what to do.
You can either claim your State Pension or delay (defer) claiming it.
If you want to defer, you do not have to do anything. Your pension will automatically be deferred until you claim it.
Deferring your State Pension could increase the payments you get when you decide to claim it. Any extra payments you get from deferring could be taxed.

https://www.gov.uk/deferring-state-pension

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

Mine is paid every four weeks.

I was surprised at how painless the whole business was. I rang up and the lass asked if I wanted it monthly or every28 days. Apparently hers was paid every four weeks which meant that she got paid twice in December, which together with the coal allowance, meant an extra Merry Christmas. Sounds good to me I said, and that was about it.

It was not a bad job and no one died of overwork at HMRC, but I was going in three days a week and that meant getting out of bed so I thought sod it, time to make room for someone who has nothing better to do with his life.

:) 
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 29, 2023, 09:03:35 PM
I believe Im right in saying that you have to claim it now anyway . 
It is wise to claim the State Pension within three months of it being due, or it is likely you will not get it automatically.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 29, 2023, 09:03:35 PM
I believe Im right in saying that you have to claim it now anyway . Abolishing it will mean how much you get after retirement will be means tested .

Pensions are a ticking timebomb that will be unafordable in the future , people will either have to pay more into pension schemes , pay more tax and work longer . It wasn't designed to be someones income for over 20 years or in the case of the public sector where you can with good health recieve a pension for as many years as you actually worked . Whoever thought that  was a good idea was nuts
Like I said months ago on here when Barry was spouting off about breaking the triple lock, people either have to pay more, pay for longer or be euthanised at a certain age. There are no other choices as people live longer. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Streetwalker

I believe Im right in saying that you have to claim it now anyway . Abolishing it will mean how much you get after retirement will be means tested .

Pensions are a ticking timebomb that will be unafordable in the future , people will either have to pay more into pension schemes , pay more tax and work longer . It wasn't designed to be someones income for over 20 years or in the case of the public sector where you can with good health recieve a pension for as many years as you actually worked . Whoever thought that  was a good idea was nuts 

Nick

Quote from: Borchester on January 29, 2023, 06:16:29 PM
You never know what depths the Tories will stoop too Pappy.

Maybe they will try the idea out in Cornwall ?
Tories? Your OP says it's Labour planning this. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on January 29, 2023, 05:35:33 PM
There is no intention from any political party to abolish the old age pension. The thread header is a scurrilous lie.
You never know what depths the Tories will stoop too Pappy.

Maybe they will try the idea out in Cornwall ?

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

There is no intention from any political party to abolish the old age pension. The thread header is a scurrilous lie.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on January 27, 2023, 08:48:12 PM
Not altogether unreasonable — but when did the Guardian formulate Labour's future policies...

The Guardian does not formulate anything but the Labour party likes to use it to float its more controversial ideas. Bit like the Tories trying out the Poll tax in Scotland
Algerie Francais !

patman post

Not altogether unreasonable — but when did the Guardian formulate Labour's future policies...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...