Is the NHS pay review body independent?

Started by BBC News , January 29, 2023, 07:00:05 AM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on January 30, 2023, 02:56:48 PM
It is NOT independent of government influence.
From your link...:

The NHS Pay Review Body is independent.  Its role is to make recommendations to the Prime Minister, the Secretary of State for Health, the First Minister and the Cabinet Secretary for Health and Wellbeing in Scotland, the First Minister and the Minister for Health and Social Services in the National Assembly for Wales and the First Minister, Deputy First Minister and Ministers for Health, Social Services & Public Safety of the Northern Ireland Executive, on the remuneration of all staff paid under Agenda for Change and employed in the National Health Service*.

In reaching its recommendations, the Review Body is to have regard to the following considerations: 

1.    the need to recruit, retain and motivate suitably able and qualified staff;

2.    regional/local variations in labour markets and their effects on the recruitment and retention of staff;

3.    the funds available to the Health Departments as set out in the Government's Departmental Expenditure Limits;

4.    the Government's inflation target;

5.    the principle of equal pay for work of equal value in the NHS;

6.    of the overall strategy that the NHS should place patients at the heart of all it does and the mechanisms by which that is to be achieved;

7.    the Review Body may also be asked to consider other specific issues.

The Review Body is also required to take careful account of the economic and other evidence submitted by the Government, Trades Unions, representatives of NHS employers and others (my bold, pp) 

The Review Body should take account of the legal obligations on the NHS, including ant-discrimination legislation regarding age, gender, race, sexual orientation, religion and belief  and disability.

Reports and recommendations should be submitted jointly to the Secretary of State for Health, the First Minister and the Cabinet Secretary for Health and Wellbeing in Scotland, the First Minister and the Minister for Health and Social Services in the National Assembly for Wales and the First Minister, Deputy First Minister and Minister for Health, Social Services & Public Safety of the Northern Ireland Executive and the Prime Minister. 

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on January 30, 2023, 02:23:11 PM
Seems to me to be independent and capable of coming to its own decisions — certainly as much as the judiciary...
It is NOT independent of government influence.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on January 30, 2023, 10:56:40 AM
No it is not.  Just do some research on the members of it:-  About us - NHS Pay Review Body - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Seems to me to be independent and capable of coming to its own decisions — certainly as much as the judiciary...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Nick

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Streetwalker

papasmurf

Quote from: BBC News  on January 29, 2023, 07:00:05 AM

Nurses are striking over a pay offer recommended by a review body.

Source: Is the NHS pay review body independent?
No it isn't independent.

BBC News

Nurses are striking over a pay offer recommended by a review body.

Source: Is the NHS pay review body independent?