Labour party caused it ,Brexit will fix it

Started by Streetwalker, February 14, 2023, 07:18:27 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on February 15, 2023, 07:57:40 AM
Really? Given all the on a near daily basis I am getting updates and information from the foreign office, I suspect you have not been caught out (yet.)
The costs for me going to Brittany. (Not the ticket costs) have risen dramatically as have the number of regulations I have to comply with that were not there before Brexit. (I suspect a lot of travellers are in ignorance of them.) It is however far cheaper than a holiday in Britain.
I also have to comment as you appear to be outside of Britain more than your are in it, no wonder your ignorance of current affairs.
So what are these rules that we all don't know about and hidden costs?
Cant wait for what dodge you'll use to not show anything. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on February 15, 2023, 05:20:18 AM

I don't need anything to go to the EU, 
Really? Given all the on a near daily basis I am getting updates and information from the foreign office, I suspect you have not been caught out (yet.)
The costs for me going to Brittany. (Not the ticket costs) have risen dramatically as have the number of regulations I have to comply with that were not there before Brexit. (I suspect a lot of travellers are in ignorance of them.) It is however far cheaper than a holiday in Britain. 
I also have to comment as you appear to be outside of Britain more than your are in it, no wonder your ignorance of current affairs.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on February 14, 2023, 03:11:11 PM
The result of Brexit is it appears British citizens no longer have free movement.
In the past 12 months I have been to, and worked in India, USA, Russia, Cambodia,  Germany, France, Netherlands, Switzerland, Austria, Italy and Liechtenstein. The hardest one to get a visa for was India because the UK was removed from the eVisa program. It is available again now, it cost me £80 for a 5 year visa and took 24hrs.
I don't need anything to go to the EU, in fact it is easier in some countries, like Portugal as they have dedicated UK passport lines. FOR the rest of the EU there is absolutely no difference as we have never been or wanted to be part of Schengen, even Ireland has the same travel restrictions as we do. I note that @GerryT was very quiet after his trip to Eastern Europe. 
As for the EU, they've been trying to get some kind of Visa in place for two years and can't manage it, 27 countries all wanting different restrictions on the UK, let's face it, that's why the EU is doing it, to make life for us difficult. Problem is that the likes of Spain want the Brits to travel with ease, their tourism relies on us. 

So there you go Pappy, travelling is a breeze, unless you are using an imaginary visa like you do. 😉 

Streetwalker

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on February 14, 2023, 08:21:05 PM
Your recall is incorrect.  He got a deal, even Boris said it was better than he thought could be got.  Crucially he got the EU to water down their purist form of free movement by accepting that free movers were not to get same benefits, the door had been prised open and the precedent had been set.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35622105
Johnson was/is  a remainer  ,his opinion of what Cameron got was the  party/remainers  line . As for the rest of us , well 17 odd million we saw Camerons 'deal' for what it was , a load of piffle and mumbo jumbo text that meant nothing . Benefits for EU migrants was a minor issue compared to the one  of mass immigration and the suppression of wages due to cheap labour . 

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum 14/02/2023, 20:21:05 Now we've fallen to a 66 year low in car manufacturing.

As I believe has every other country in the World 

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Streetwalker on February 14, 2023, 08:05:18 PM
Not sure what 'Cameron deal' your talking about U4S . As I recall he went to get one and was shown the  door with nothing . It was at that point that leaving the EU became possible

We didn't need the EU to export cars , just good cars  . But wether we had those or not was irrelevant , only a few of the EU countries could afford them
Your recall is incorrect.  He got a deal, even Boris said it was better than he thought could be got.  Crucially he got the EU to water down their purist form of free movement by accepting that free movers were not to get same benefits, the door had been prised open and the precedent had been set.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35622105 

And we did need the EU to be able to export cars there without tariffs and to be able to participate in easy car building across multiple countries.  Now we've fallen to a 66 year low in car manufacturing.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on February 14, 2023, 03:11:11 PM
The result of Brexit is it appears British citizens no longer have free movement.
Ive never had a problem moving anywhere . You just need to know the rules or how to get round them

Streetwalker

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on February 14, 2023, 08:42:19 AM
I somewhat agree but surely the point of betrayal wasn't the allowing of free movement per se (in fact it was the Tories that did that in 1972) but when Blair allowed the EU to add in those Eastern European countries without placing limitations on their free movement until they had those similar living standards as that core 8.  Other EU countries did.

As for whether it was a labour market or export market it was both.  For example we'd never have retained a car industry were it not for the ability to export them to the EU.  Until that Blair moment the whole EU package of pros and cons was good for the UK.  We'll never know if the 2016 Cameron deal would have led to that balance being restored.  Should have given it a chance.
Not sure what 'Cameron deal' your talking about U4S . As I recall he went to get one and was shown the  door with nothing . It was at that point that leaving the EU became possible 

We didn't need the EU to export cars , just good cars  . But wether we had those or not was irrelevant , only a few of the EU countries could afford them 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on February 14, 2023, 02:46:42 PM
Perhaps you should read the rules on being a member of the EU: free movement.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on February 14, 2023, 08:28:11 AM
Five million core Labour voters left when they realised Tony Blair was Tory Mark 2. I would also point out since May 2010 10 million immigrants have been let in by the Tories.
Perhaps you should read the rules on being a member of the EU: free movement. 

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Streetwalker on February 14, 2023, 07:18:27 AM
Labour deserted the working man when it allowed free movement of EU nationals . Why did a party that was in cahoots with the unions a party that was born of the unions destroy the unionisation of the British workforce ?

Supporters of the  EU liked to claim it was a market of 500 million people to which we could sell our goods but this was far from the truth . Over 80% of our exports to the eu have always been to the same 8 countries that were members when we joined in 1973 . Those countries had /have simlar living standards so saw no reason to migrate on mass to find well paid work

So it wasn't an export market it was a labour market , cheap labour from former soviet countries where living standards were far below those in the UK and where its workers were used to being treated appallingly .
I experianced it myself when overnight pay was stopped for various reasons in the construction industry , the EU workers were used to it and as a now minority we (the brits) had to suffer the same .

Nothing destroyed the unionisation of labour more than free movement of poor people and its no suprise that now the fear of being replaced by a cheaper worker has been removed by Brexit that we are seeing the strikes by various sections of the workforce .

After 20 years of fearing asking for a pay rise would result in being replaced the workers are fighting back
I somewhat agree but surely the point of betrayal wasn't the allowing of free movement per se (in fact it was the Tories that did that in 1972) but when Blair allowed the EU to add in those Eastern European countries without placing limitations on their free movement until they had those similar living standards as that core 8.  Other EU countries did.

As for whether it was a labour market or export market it was both.  For example we'd never have retained a car industry were it not for the ability to export them to the EU.  Until that Blair moment the whole EU package of pros and cons was good for the UK.  We'll never know if the 2016 Cameron deal would have led to that balance being restored.  Should have given it a chance.

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on February 14, 2023, 07:18:27 AM
Labour deserted the working man 
Five million core Labour voters left when they realised Tony Blair was Tory Mark 2. I would also point out since May 2010 10 million immigrants have been let in by the Tories.

Streetwalker

Labour deserted the working man when it allowed free movement of EU nationals . Why did a party that was in cahoots with the unions a party that was born of the unions destroy the unionisation of the British workforce ?

Supporters of the  EU liked to claim it was a market of 500 million people to which we could sell our goods but this was far from the truth . Over 80% of our exports to the eu have always been to the same 8 countries that were members when we joined in 1973 . Those countries had /have simlar living standards so saw no reason to migrate on mass to find well paid work

So it wasn't an export market it was a labour market , cheap labour from former soviet countries where living standards were far below those in the UK and where its workers were used to being treated appallingly .
I experianced it myself when overnight pay was stopped for various reasons in the construction industry , the EU workers were used to it and as a now minority we (the brits) had to suffer the same .

Nothing destroyed the unionisation of labour more than free movement of poor people and its no suprise that now the fear of being replaced by a cheaper worker has been removed by Brexit that we are seeing the strikes by various sections of the workforce . 

After 20 years of fearing asking for a pay rise would result in being replaced the workers are fighting back