Brexit turmoil hindered investment in the UK, minister concedes

Started by SKY News, February 15, 2023, 01:00:20 PM

« previous - next »

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Nick on February 20, 2023, 05:18:33 AM
They also got grounded in 2021 for engine failures.
Very short term.  Grounded until engine inspections were made.

Since 2000 Boeing doesn't offer Rolls or PW engines on any new 777 variants 

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Nick on February 20, 2023, 05:21:20 AM
What's your point?
Do you really need it spelt out?  OK then.

Post 28:  a chart is posted showing that the UK is lagging other countries with the correlation suggesting it's a result of Brexit.  The comparisons used as UK to USA and Eurozone (which has never included the UK)

Post 30: you vehemently say the figures are false because they show no effect of the UK leaving the EU

Post 34:  I point out that the EU and Eurozone are not the same so because we weren't in the latter 

It's clearly false to say the UK not leaving the Eurozone has to show an immediate and significant effect on Eurozone GDP

Nick

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on February 19, 2023, 09:14:40 PM
I doubt it as Boeing 777's tend to use GE and PW engines
They also got grounded in 2021 for engine failures. 

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Nick on February 19, 2023, 07:01:52 PM
What had the eurozone got to do with it? They've lost 18 billion in contributions a year but it doesn't register in their figures.
Look again at the chart in Papasmurf's post you were referring to

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Nick on February 19, 2023, 07:12:34 PM
I believe the RR engine is also the only single engine (per wing) plane that is allowed to do a transatlantic flight? Might be wrong but I'm sure I heard this somewhere.
I doubt it as Boeing 777's tend to use GE and PW engines

Nick

I believe the RR engine is also the only single engine (per wing) plane that is allowed to do a transatlantic flight? Might be wrong but I'm sure I heard this somewhere. 

Nick

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on February 19, 2023, 04:05:19 PM
You do know we were never in the Eurozone (the comparison shown) don't you?  Maybe not
What had the eurozone got to do with it? They've lost 18 billion in contributions a year but it doesn't register in their figures. 

patman post

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on February 19, 2023, 06:02:50 PM
IIRC no one has ever fitted a Rolls Royce engine to a 737 and to certify an RR engine for the 737 Max would be a massive cost that Boeing would expect RR to up front fund.  It isn't going to happen.  The same works the other way for the A350.  Buy one of those and it's a RR engine as the only certified engine. 

In this case India has chosen GE for its 787 buy. 
At the moment, it looks like Rolls Royce is concentrating on wide-body planes, so the 737, among others, would seem to be out.

A couple of years ago, when air passenger numbers were down, it was reported that RR had plans to move back into engines for narrow-bodied aircraft. Now the market for wide bodies is up, I guess most development effort will be on hydrogen power, and versions for narrow body planes, with a consequent few years delay in introduction...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: patman post on February 19, 2023, 05:24:20 PM
I don't understand.

GE, CFM, Pratt & Witney and Rolls Royce supply engines to both Airbus and Boeing. The choice, where a choice is available, is usually down to the operator and is (once politics and inducements are out the way) made according to how and where they plan on operating the plane — eg, some will be looking for an engine that is more suitable for flying short-haul routes, while others will be looking for something designed for long-haul operations.

737 Max may be an exception currently, but offering different engines helps plane builders' sales.

Lockheed withdrew from aircraft manufacture because its L-1011 TriStar only came with the Rolls Royce RB-211. When RR went into receivership and couldn't deliver engines on time, the rival DC-10 took much of the TriStar's market share...
IIRC no one has ever fitted a Rolls Royce engine to a 737 and to certify an RR engine for the 737 Max would be a massive cost that Boeing would expect RR to up front fund.  It isn't going to happen.  The same works the other way for the A350.  Buy one of those and it's a RR engine as the only certified engine.   

In this case India has chosen GE for its 787 buy.  

patman post

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on February 19, 2023, 04:13:47 PM
Unlikely, the certification cost would be massive for the 737 Max part of the order and seems they lost out to GE for the 787s

All rather confirms they only got that other sale because of the 'levered by AirBus' position
I don't understand.

GE, CFM, Pratt & Witney and Rolls Royce supply engines to both Airbus and Boeing. The choice, where a choice is available, is usually down to the operator and is (once politics and inducements are out the way) made according to how and where they plan on operating the plane — eg, some will be looking for an engine that is more suitable for flying short-haul routes, while others will be looking for something designed for long-haul operations.

737 Max may be an exception currently, but offering different engines helps plane builders' sales.

Lockheed withdrew from aircraft manufacture because its L-1011 TriStar only came with the Rolls Royce RB-211. When RR went into receivership and couldn't deliver engines on time, the rival DC-10 took much of the TriStar's market share...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on February 19, 2023, 02:53:38 PM
Yes I do, because I am not blinkered by being in thrall to the Tories.
All economies have peaks and troughs . The BBC used the period in the report to maybe try to prove a point and its hardly a suprise  a remainer minister has such views  ?
Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on February 19, 2023, 04:13:47 PM
Unlikely, the certification cost would be massive for the 737 Max part of the order 
Cant believe anyone has brought that aircraft after its 'problems' . Haven't looked recently but some carriers in the US/Canada actually specified that they didn't use that aircraft on any of its routs at one time or another . 

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: patman post on February 19, 2023, 03:56:51 PM
And an Indian company bought Jaguar/Land Rover, completely.

In addition to the Airbus deal, Air India — another Tata Group company — is also buying 229 Boeing planes for $34billion. The deal also contains an option on another 70 aircraft which could take the deal to $45.9billion.

An interesting question is could/will Air India specify Rolls Royce engines for the Boeing aircraft..?
Unlikely, the certification cost would be massive for the 737 Max part of the order and seems they lost out to GE for the 787s

All rather confirms they only got that other sale because of the 'levered by AirBus' position

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Nick on February 19, 2023, 01:21:58 PM
You believe these figures? The second biggest contributor to the EU leaves and it makes no difference? BS I say to that. If it's not seen in these figures it's either lies or not shown up yet.
You do know we were never in the Eurozone (the comparison shown) don't you?  Maybe not

patman post

Quote from: Nick on February 18, 2023, 11:11:10 AM
Yes, of course I do, that's what the A stands for, and some of the parts are made in the UK. None of which detracts from the fact that it's the first big order an Indian company has placed with Rolls Royce.
And an Indian company bought Jaguar/Land Rover, completely.

In addition to the Airbus deal, Air India — another Tata Group company — is also buying 229 Boeing planes for $34billion. The deal also contains an option on another 70 aircraft which could take the deal to $45.9billion.

An interesting question is could/will Air India specify Rolls Royce engines for the Boeing aircraft..?