Crows and such

Started by Borchester, February 17, 2023, 11:34:09 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on February 24, 2023, 06:26:47 AM
Pidgeons

Jesus ,since they scared them all away from Nelson they have invaded Croydon like a swarm of locust . Still they roast up well but Im at a loss at whats the best sauce ?
I think the bast one be down to personal taste. But blackberry, or apple, or cider, or red wine. There are numerous others. (Personally for game, I use a home made gravy which has butter and cassis added after turning the heat under the pan off.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Pidgeons 

Jesus ,since they scared them all away from Nelson they have invaded Croydon like a swarm of locust . Still they roast up well but Im at a loss at whats the best sauce ?

Borchester

There is a certain irony in that while the birds are lining up for their turn at the feeding bowl, they are also rooting around in the compost heap and eating the earth worms.

And the earthworms are about the only creatures contributing anything to the general well being of the allotment :)
Algerie Francais !

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on February 18, 2023, 10:18:34 AM
It is very difficult to identify corvids. I suspect what most people think are crows are rooks.

You are both probably right.

All I know is that they big, black and noisy. It is a bit like a day out in East Croydon. But the interesting thing is that most of the time they work in threes or fours. One picks up the food and the rest stand guard, but right now they appear a lot more laid back. There is plenty of food around so they form more or less orderly queues at the feeding queues.

Another thing is that all the birds rub their beaks on the branches of the trees. I don't know if they are just cleaning themselves up or if they are eating insects hidden in the bark.

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on February 18, 2023, 09:04:22 AM
Are you sure they are Crows and not Rooks? Crows tend to be more solitary.
It is very difficult to identify corvids. I suspect what most people think are crows are rooks. 

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: Borchester on February 17, 2023, 11:34:09 PM
The allotment seems alive with crows. At first I thought that it was because it was still a bit chilly, but now I think on it it may be the other way round. It is actually pretty mild for early to mid February, so maybe they have started courting early. Usually I open a few cans of dog food and a half dozen birds will appear, but this time twenty or thirty of them pitched. And they were much more civilised, waiting their turn rather than knocking hell out of each other as they do latter in the year. I suppose you can be a lot better mannered when you only have yourself to feed rather than a nest full of chicks
Are you sure they are Crows and not Rooks? Crows tend to be more solitary. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borchester

The allotment seems alive with crows. At first I thought that it was because it was still a bit chilly, but now I think on it it may be the other way round. It is actually pretty mild for early to mid February, so maybe they have started courting early. Usually I open a few cans of dog food and a half dozen birds will appear, but this time twenty or thirty of them pitched. And they were much more civilised, waiting their turn rather than knocking hell out of each other as they do latter in the year. I suppose you can be a lot better mannered when you only have yourself to feed rather than a nest full of chicks
Algerie Francais !