NI protocol

Started by GerryT, February 19, 2023, 01:41:42 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on February 20, 2023, 08:01:12 PM
The UK did exit, the plan Johnson came up with was GB out and NI half in. What I asked is what's the plan to take NI out, because Brexit got done and that involved leaving NI in.
That national election voted a man in with a large majority, his plan was to leave NI part in/part out. A vote for Johnson was a vote for that arrangement. If the whole UK leaving as one was a major red line, why did people vote Johnson. One of the main reasons conservatives will be voted out was all the lies, people were sold the lie that they would have a better life, the NHS would be fantastic again. All lies, that is the main reason. The reality is most UK people don't care one bit about NI
What protects the SM is what Johnson agreed. I don't think it's going anywhere. The red/green channel does look like it will make it somewhat smoother. It's a shame the UK didn't have a debate on the actual issues brexit brought, rather that talking about the Turkey migrants, the billions for the NHS, the corrupt EU, the "they need us more than we need them" etc  etc etc
Like I've told you many times Gerry, it's very simple. The government pulls NI back totally inside the UK and tells the EU it's their problem. The EU can erect a hard border if it wants but I'm telling you 100% they will give a real trade deal in days. None of this punishment crap, a real deal. Problem is the UK government is too weak to do it. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

GerryT

Quote from: Streetwalker on February 19, 2023, 04:27:25 PMIt was called the referendum on the UK exiting the EU 
The UK did exit, the plan Johnson came up with was GB out and NI half in. What I asked is what's the plan to take NI out, because Brexit got done and that involved leaving NI in.

Quote from: Streetwalker on February 19, 2023, 04:27:25 PMThat was a national election not one on the status of Northern Ireland  . What people wanted would come under various topics but in the main the entire UK leaving the EU would have been on the list . That the Conservatives haven't been able to work it out will be one of the reasons they are kicked out next time round 
That national election voted a man in with a large majority, his plan was to leave NI part in/part out. A vote for Johnson was a vote for that arrangement. If the whole UK leaving as one was a major red line, why did people vote Johnson. One of the main reasons conservatives will be voted out was all the lies, people were sold the lie that they would have a better life, the NHS would be fantastic again. All lies, that is the main reason. The reality is most UK people don't care one bit about NI

Quote from: Streetwalker on February 19, 2023, 04:27:25 PMThats the opinion and stance of the Unionists and without the support of the Unionists there wont be an agreement . Which takes us around the circle again to an invisible border in Ireland ,its the only answer that keeps the CTA and the GFA intact and protects the EU and UK markets .
What protects the SM is what Johnson agreed. I don't think it's going anywhere. The red/green channel does look like it will make it somewhat smoother. It's a shame the UK didn't have a debate on the actual issues brexit brought, rather that talking about the Turkey migrants, the billions for the NHS, the corrupt EU, the "they need us more than we need them" etc  etc etc 

Streetwalker

Quote from: GerryT on February 19, 2023, 03:37:12 PM
Is there a plan to take NI out ?  I didn't think there was.
It was called the referendum on the UK exiting the EU 

The UK govt agreed to the current situation, this was Johnson's oven baked deal, the one that "got brexit done" or some such meaningless slogan. The UK public voted for the Johnson party in 2019, gave them a vast majority, we can only assume that the current deal is what people wanted.
That was a national election not one on the status of Northern Ireland  . What people wanted would come under various topics but in the main the entire UK leaving the EU would have been on the list . That the Conservatives haven't been able to work it out will be one of the reasons they are kicked out next time round 
You say NI won't stay in the SM, is that just your opinion or does anyone in power think the same ?  whats the plan for NI leaving ?
Thats the opinion and stance of the Unionists and without the support of the Unionists there wont be an agreement . Which takes us around the circle again to an invisible border in Ireland ,its the only answer that keeps the CTA and the GFA intact and protects the EU and UK markets .

GerryT

Quote from: Streetwalker on February 19, 2023, 03:10:08 PM
They can do whatever they like but N Ireland won't stay in the SM . 
Is there a plan to take NI out ?  I didn't think there was.

The UK govt agreed to the current situation, this was Johnson's oven baked deal, the one that "got brexit done" or some such meaningless slogan. The UK public voted for the Johnson party in 2019, gave them a vast majority, we can only assume that the current deal is what people wanted.

The UK govt are saying one thing and doing another (nothing new), but they are, for now, abiding by the agreement and it looks like they are working withing the framework of that agreement to make mutually agreeable changes to that agreement. 

You say NI won't stay in the SM, is that just your opinion or does anyone in power think the same ?  whats the plan for NI leaving ?

Streetwalker

They can do whatever they like but N Ireland won't stay in the SM .  

Borchester

Quote from: GerryT on February 19, 2023, 01:41:42 PM
Being quite busy of late but thought I'd throw this out there, one of the thorney sides to Brexit is the NI situation, there's a lot of chatter lately that a improved version of the NI protocol has been, or is very close to being agreed. Details should be coming out next week but the suspected red/green lane is on the table, this being possible with the recent agreement on data sharing.
On the face of it, this would be a welcome improvement, but that depends on the detail, if there are spot checks on the green lane, will the DUP go nuts. What sort of checks will be present on trade NI to GB. WIll this only apply to commercial trade (HGV, Vans etc...) and how will this affect private cars, will they be subject to checks.

If this gets implemented, and NI has less friction trade but remains in the EU SM, how will Scotland or Wales feel about that. I sense a turbulent period ahead, it all depends on the details.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF90hEXiCw8

Rees Mogg was on the electric internet a fortnight ago and said that the proposed deal was interesting stuff, but would require careful thought and consideration, which is Jacobese for it sounds like a load of bollocks.
Algerie Francais !

GerryT

Being quite busy of late but thought I'd throw this out there, one of the thorney sides to Brexit is the NI situation, there's a lot of chatter lately that a improved version of the NI protocol has been, or is very close to being agreed. Details should be coming out next week but the suspected red/green lane is on the table, this being possible with the recent agreement on data sharing.
On the face of it, this would be a welcome improvement, but that depends on the detail, if there are spot checks on the green lane, will the DUP go nuts. What sort of checks will be present on trade NI to GB. WIll this only apply to commercial trade (HGV, Vans etc...) and how will this affect private cars, will they be subject to checks.

If this gets implemented, and NI has less friction trade but remains in the EU SM, how will Scotland or Wales feel about that. I sense a turbulent period ahead, it all depends on the details.