UK government’s Alternative Fuel Payment

Started by papasmurf, February 20, 2023, 07:08:28 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on February 21, 2023, 11:32:25 AM
Nick you really have no idea what you are on about. Locally it is at least £80 for the round trip to the nearest town by taxi. Husband and wife teams owning and or running pubs are mainly long gone. (At least 1/2 a century ago.) When a pub gets to the stage it has no customers it shuts down within weeks. (That is happening a lot currently.  Pubs and hospitality does need staff even in rural areas. Not being able to get staff is another factor in them shutting.)
The lack of customers is due to the current inflation and increasing cost of living.

As shown below you are proved wrong, and any use of inflation is just another nail. Pubs have been closing at the same rate for 23 years, with the slightly bigger drop in 2008.

You live in a town with pubs, a Tesco's and hotels, what are you talking about £80 taxi.
Thanks for that, you've just made my point why rural pubs are closing.

And here is the reason I mentioned, today's drinkers get their booze from supermarkets.

They're also drinking differently

Beerbliotek

People evidently do still drink, but they're leaning increasingly towards buying their booze in supermarkets and off licences. In 2014, off-trade outstripped on-trade (pubs, clubs and restaurants) for the first time.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on February 21, 2023, 11:14:49 AM
Rural pubs are closing because your what would have been classed as locals no longer drive there, get leathered and then drive home like they did 20 and 30 years ago.
They drive to the supermarket and stock up on cheap booze rather than risking their license or pay £10 for a taxi.
Rural pubs are usually owned or run by a husband and wife team, they don't usually need much staff. They certainly don't need staff these days because no one goes there.
You're fixated on tourists and lack of staff, you need to actually go somewhere and see what's happening in the country.
Nick you really have no idea what you are on about. Locally it is at least £80 for the round trip to the nearest town by taxi. Husband and wife teams owning and or running pubs are mainly long gone. (At least 1/2 a century ago.) When a pub gets to the stage it has no customers it shuts down within weeks. (That is happening a lot currently.  Pubs and hospitality does need staff even in rural areas. Not being able to get staff is another factor in them shutting.)
The lack of customers is due to the current inflation and increasing cost of living. 
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on February 21, 2023, 10:32:33 AM
Nick given your dire lack of knowledge over a wide range of things there is nothing you can tell me that is accurate or relevant.
There is a convergence of reasons that are closing pubs at a fast rate currently. Not just one.
(Rural areas are very different to urban/town/cities when it come to pubs closing down permanently.)
Staffing problems are even worse in rural areas for one thing.
Rural pubs are closing because your what would have been classed as locals no longer drive there, get leathered and then drive home like they did 20 and 30 years ago.
They drive to the supermarket and stock up on cheap booze rather than risking their license or pay £10 for a taxi.
Rural pubs are usually owned or run by a husband and wife team, they don't usually need much staff. They certainly don't need staff these days because no one goes there.
You're fixated on tourists and lack of staff, you need to actually go somewhere and see what's happening in the country.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: papasmurf on February 21, 2023, 09:05:36 AM
Nick I am afraid as per usual it is you talking bollocks out of ignorance. That is why you have to resort to insults. It is not just Cornwall where pubs are shutting at an increasing rate it is nationally. Locally, I suspect that soon the only place to be able to buy a drink will be the bar of the football club.
He did not insult you, he rightly called your post 'bollocks'.  Are you not aware that is challenging the message.

You seem to be in denial that UK Pubs have been closing for decades.  Why you wish to derail your own Fuel Payment thread is rather strange too.

Now what follows is arguably an insult but what the hell:

I've been dabbling in this forum for a couple of weeks and it seems to mainly consist of Papasmurf posts bollocks and people point it out and Papasmurf misses the point and posts more bollocks and whines that it's so unfair when the 'bollocks' is pointed out for what it is.

No wonder Nick has closed viewing of the forum to non members.   

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on February 21, 2023, 09:36:00 AM
You've been told why they are closing but can't understand.
Nick given your dire lack of knowledge over a wide range of things there is nothing you can tell me that is accurate or relevant.
 There is a convergence of reasons that are closing pubs at a fast rate currently. Not just one.
(Rural areas are very different to urban/town/cities when it come to pubs closing down permanently.)
Staffing problems are even worse in rural areas for one thing.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on February 21, 2023, 09:05:36 AM
Nick I am afraid as per usual it is you talking bollocks out of ignorance. That is why you have to resort to insults. It is not just Cornwall where pubs are shutting at an increasing rate it is nationally. Locally, I suspect that soon the only place to be able to buy a drink will be the bar of the football club.
You've been told why they are closing but can't understand.
You need to explain why you think they are all closing, but you just use the same old rhetoric.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on February 21, 2023, 08:58:09 AM
If you want to talk bollocks, do it to your self.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on February 21, 2023, 08:27:59 AM
Nick it has to do with a combination of government policy in not supporting pubs through the current crises, Brexit, pubs can't get staff, over tourism also exacerbating the staffing problem, and being inundated with far too many tourists keeping their wallets firmly shut.
If you want to talk bollocks, do it to your self.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on February 21, 2023, 05:22:34 AM
And I've already told you that has nothing to do with government policy, 
Nick it has to do with a combination of government policy in not supporting pubs through the current crises, Brexit, pubs can't get staff, over tourism also exacerbating the staffing problem, and being inundated with far too many tourists keeping their wallets firmly shut. 

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on February 20, 2023, 08:14:50 PM
They aren't looking after pub landlords though, one or two pubs shutting per day in Cornwall recently.
Im sure its government policy to shut as many as possible . Many a rebellion was started after 6 pints of John Smiths 

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on February 20, 2023, 08:14:50 PM
They aren't looking after pub landlords though, one or two pubs shutting per day in Cornwall recently.
And I've already told you that has nothing to do with government policy, it's the behaviour of todays drinking class turning out half cut at 2 in the morning. The fact the price of grain going threw the roof doesn't help either. I know he tries but SW can't single handedly save every pub in Britain. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on February 20, 2023, 07:46:55 PM
Thats handy ,good to see the Tories looking after the old folk

Streetwalker

Thats handy ,good to see the Tories looking after the old folk 

papasmurf

Apparently because where I live is not on mains gas I am getting £200 off of, my electricity bill.

Good news! You're eligible for Alternative Fuel Payment

As a household that uses alternative fuels you qualify for the UK government's Alternative Fuel Payment (AFP). This scheme provides users of alternative fuels with a £200 payment. This payment is intended to give support to customers located off the gas grid with their heating costs during the winter 2022/23 following the increase in energy bills. This is a government discount which you don't pay back. You don't need to apply for the scheme.

The £200 discount is in addition to the government's Energy Bills Support Scheme. Find out more at edfenergy.com/gasprices.

What happens next?

There's nothing you need to do, as an eligible customer this payment will be seen as a Bill Adjustment on your account between 20 and 28 February.

Why am I receiving this payment?

• An Alternative Fuel Payment has been provided to support households which use alternative fuels.
  • This is funded by HM Government.

How you'll receive the discount depends on how you pay for your energy

• It will be paid as a lump sum of £200 between 20th and 28th February 2023.
  • It will be a one-off payment.