Govt to set up Football Regulator

Started by patman post, February 23, 2023, 02:48:46 PM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on February 23, 2023, 02:48:46 PM
A new regulator will:

• Stop English clubs from joining closed-shop competitions, which are judged to harm the domestic game
  • Prevent a repeat of financial failings seen at numerous clubs, notably the collapses of Bury and Macclesfield
  • Introduce a more stringent owners' and directors' test to protect clubs and fans
  • Give fans power to stop owners changing a club's name, badge and traditional kit colours
  • Ensure a fair distribution of money filters down the English football pyramid from the Premier League

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said the "bold new plans" would put fans "back at the heart of football".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64536218

Plenty needs addressing in football, but I reckon it's a pity football — the "industry" and the fans — haven't been able to do this themselves...
I thought it was the fans that led the review ,the government are just putting their concerns into law .It is all based on opinion though ,who judges what may harm the domestic game , who vets new owners ,who says what is a fair distribution of money , who indeed is the regulator ?

With reference to the other thread kicking about today I wonder how much money will be syphoned off into the womens game ? 

patman post

A new regulator will:

• Stop English clubs from joining closed-shop competitions, which are judged to harm the domestic game
  • Prevent a repeat of financial failings seen at numerous clubs, notably the collapses of Bury and Macclesfield
  • Introduce a more stringent owners' and directors' test to protect clubs and fans
  • Give fans power to stop owners changing a club's name, badge and traditional kit colours
  • Ensure a fair distribution of money filters down the English football pyramid from the Premier League

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said the "bold new plans" would put fans "back at the heart of football".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64536218

Plenty needs addressing in football, but I reckon it's a pity football — the "industry" and the fans — haven't been able to do this themselves...

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...