So where are these 40 trade deals?

Started by BeElBeeBub, February 04, 2020, 06:36:54 PM

« previous - next »

boggart

Some people seem to not realise the difference between figurative and literal.

Conchúr

Quote from: cromwell post_id=15410 time=1580850297 user_id=48
Heard it all before,wrecked economy,living in caves ,thickos ignoring reality,we're all going to die(wrong thread perhaps.....corona virus?)

Yawn

In fairness, nothing has been said in this thread about wrecked economies, thickos, or anyone going to die.  We then have Toots saying she's sick of being bullied.  It all seems very hypersensitive to me on a thread where someone has pointed out a previous claim by a member of the government that was unrealistic and now, demonstrably, false.

T00ts

As a leaver I am fed up with being bullied by people who have no more of a crystal ball than anyone else. Unless they sit around the cabinet table in No 10 they know or understand no more than anyone else. As far as I can tell they are still really cheesed off that they didn't managed to subvert the UK electorate.

I am sick of hearing it on every occasion that they think they can get away with it on the media etc. It might be a sub-text but it is only too evident. Negotiations have barely started anywhere and the starting bell hasn't rung. All they are doing so far is attending the weigh in and glaring at each other in an effort to intimidate. Patience people time will tell.

Barry

Trade deals are none of my business. They didn't give me a vote on trade deals. That's up to the executive to sort out, not us electorate.
† The end is nigh †

cromwell

Heard it all before,wrecked economy,living in caves ,thickos ignoring reality,we're all going to die(wrong thread perhaps.....corona virus?)

Yawn
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Conchúr

Quote from: BeElBeeBub post_id=15390 time=1580841414 user_id=88
Back in 2017 we were told that "...we'll have up to 40 [trade deals] ready for one second after midnight in March 2019..."

We've had an extra 10 months and I've allowed for the weekend and even Monday to shake of the hangovers, so where are these trade deals?

This was the person in charge responding to criticisms that the UK wouldn't have any agreements before we leave.

He was demonstrably wrong, on a pretty major point.

So far only 20 agreements have been secured and even those don't fully replicate that current levels.

How are Leavers going to hand wave this away.  

My bet: just ignore the inconvenient facts.  Alternatively, claim this was always the plan and exactly what they voted for.

Yeah, this always going to work out to be a totally unrealistic prediction, and it's hard to see where the big ones are going to come from for a while yet.  The UK has yet to even submit negotiation objectives to the USA for a trade deal — because it simply has not had the capacity — because for now the focus will be on dealing with the EU, which has a very high level of experience when it comes to trade negotiations.

papasmurf

They are like the 40 new hospitals , a figment of Boris's imagination.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

BeElBeeBub

Back in 2017 we were told that "...we'll have up to 40 [trade deals] ready for one second after midnight in March 2019..."

We've had an extra 10 months and I've allowed for the weekend and even Monday to shake of the hangovers, so where are these trade deals?

This was the person in charge responding to criticisms that the UK wouldn't have any agreements before we leave.

He was demonstrably wrong, on a pretty major point.

So far only 20 agreements have been secured and even those don't fully replicate that current levels.

How are Leavers going to hand wave this away.  

My bet: just ignore the inconvenient facts.  Alternatively, claim this was always the plan and exactly what they voted for.