Bank and Building Society branch closures.

Started by papasmurf, February 28, 2023, 11:11:53 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on March 02, 2023, 05:34:32 PM
Nick that map is wrong the nearest ATMs to me are 10 miles or more away at Tesco Helston, Sainsbury Helston, a Toyota Garage and petrol station, Helston, Spar Helston. There is no ATM closer. I repeat it is not just accessing cash there are transactions that can ONLY be carried out at a bank or Building society branch. (The nearest of those to me is now Pennzance, there are none in Helston.)
Ah, so not only is everyone on this forum wrong, Google maps is wrong as well. 
You really are the gift that keeps giving. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on March 02, 2023, 04:29:17 PM
It is physically impossible for you to be 10 miles from an ATM as the map below shows.

I
This forum tracks IP addresses which are transposed into post codes, I know your post code therefore I know what's near you.
Nick that map is wrong the nearest ATMs to me are 10 miles or more away at Tesco Helston, Sainsbury Helston, a Toyota Garage and petrol station, Helston, Spar Helston. There is no ATM closer. I repeat it is not just accessing cash there are transactions that can ONLY be carried out at a bank or Building society branch. (The nearest of those to me is now Pennzance, there are none in Helston.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Nick on March 02, 2023, 04:29:17 PM
It is physically impossible for you to be 10 miles from an ATM as the map below shows.

I
This forum tracks IP addresses which are transposed into post codes, I know your post code therefore I know what's near you.
So not only have you no regard for someone's privacy you appear to know nothing about IP addresses

Mine right now places me over 50 miles from where I actually am.  Google BT IP addresses for an explanation

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on March 02, 2023, 03:34:22 PM
Nick you need to go to Specsavers. The are no ATMs within 10 miles of my local post office. (Also the post office provides VERY limited services compared to the bank and building society branches.)

I

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on March 02, 2023, 03:02:28 PM
There are 8 cash points within half a mile from your post office. Tesco, Sainsbury, petrol station. And the Supermarkets  have multiple.
Nick you need to go to Specsavers. The are no ATMs within 10 miles of my local post office. (Also the post office provides VERY limited services compared to the bank and building society branches.)

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on March 01, 2023, 08:43:37 PM
He does not want to leave the village without a post office. What makes you think the local residents are ungrateful?
The post office is the only place for miles to be able to withdraw cash. In case you hadn't noticed post offices are shutting all over Britain including in towns and cities. (Mind you the rate local businesses are closing permanently recently, it would not surprise me at all if no businesses were left in the near future.)
There are 8 cash points within half a mile from your post office. Tesco, Sainsbury, petrol station. And the Supermarkets  have multiple. 

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on March 01, 2023, 08:43:37 PM
He does not want to leave the village without a post office. What makes you think the local residents are ungrateful?
The post office is the only place for miles to be able to withdraw cash. In case you hadn't noticed post offices are shutting all over Britain including in towns and cities. (Mind you the rate local businesses are closing permanently recently, it would not surprise me at all if no businesses were left in the near future.)
Post offices are not shutting all over Britain. There was some reorganisation a few years ago, when it was costing The Post Office over £15 to sell a first class stamp in some offices, but there are still 11,500 post offices around the UK.

Some post offices are moving into other premises and/or businesses and under new managements, and are now opening seven days a week.

But there are some part time post offices operated by local residents with help from local authorities where they're viewed as essential local services. I once saw a post office counter in a local pub.

If the local residents aren't using their local post office enough to make it a viable business, there can be no complaints if it closes...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on March 01, 2023, 08:33:19 PM
Trying to retire? What's stopping him, other than what appears to be a misplaced sense of duty to an ungrateful group of local residents...?

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on March 01, 2023, 07:22:33 PM
In this case it isn't, it is also the postmasters home, he has been trying to retire for years. There is no other business in the village to transfer the post office to.
Trying to retire? What's stopping him, other than what appears to be a misplaced sense of duty to an ungrateful group of local residents...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on March 01, 2023, 07:19:17 PM
It's a business and, therefore, a saleable asset. 
In this case it isn't, it is also the postmasters home, he has been trying to retire for years. There is no other business in the village to transfer the post office to.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on March 01, 2023, 04:20:48 PM
The village post office is hanging by a thread due to the people running it reaching retirement age. However a post office could not provide the service we need from the nearest bank and building society branches 25 miles away. It is going to mean a setting a day aside to do it. To carry out what we need to do in both.
It's a business and, therefore, a saleable asset. If it doesn't look like a viable business, perhaps the village is to blame for not supporting it.

The Post Office is also an agent for several financial institutions. 

In these days when bank accounts can't be set and switched online, I find it difficult to see what bank business (other than accessing safe deposit boxes) would need more than a solicitor's letter to transact...

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on March 01, 2023, 06:34:41 PM

But then you wouldn't come here for a bet . ;)
I would not live in any town for a bet.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on March 01, 2023, 04:20:48 PM
The village post office is hanging by a thread due to the people running it reaching retirement age. However a post office could not provide the service we need from the nearest bank and building society branches 25 miles away. It is going to mean a setting a day aside to do it. To carry out what we need to do in both.
Its why people live in Cities , Ive got 2 post offices and 4 banks in walking distance, not to mention a decent curry house an Argie Steak house and more pubs than required for drunk on a pub crawl  .

But then you wouldn't come here for a bet . ;)

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on March 01, 2023, 03:53:27 PM
It wasn't me who derailed the thread it was Nick. Totally ignoring the problems that the lack of bank and building society branches causing a significant number of people serious problems.
As usual you're wrong, it was Borky in post #3 who mentioned food.
In the UK there are Thai restaurants, Japanese, Turkish, Lebanese, Italian, Greek, Chinese, Nepalese, Indian (Bangladeshi), and a host of other flavours your are blissfully aware of. It's not my fault if you only like the taste of cardboard and wouldn't know good food if you fell over it. 
But why you need to have to have an available gourmet lol restaurant doing a 60 mile round trip is bemusing. Most people go at least four hours between meals. 

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on March 01, 2023, 04:16:41 PM
If the shrinking number of high street bank and building society branches is causing people and local businesses problems, they should consider using their local post office.