Domestic Electric Car charging point.

Started by papasmurf, February 05, 2020, 10:05:41 AM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=15498 time=1580906466 user_id=89
I have yet to find anything outside that is "Lizard weather proof," for any length of time. Also there is nowhere outside to put the charger box so I could get a car anywhere near it. Most of my neighbours have a similar problem.

It looks as though you'll be sticking with runny fuel then.

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=15497 time=1580906117 user_id=63

The charger box is industrially weatherproof with a weatherproof covering. I'm surprised such a thing isnt possible in your area given it is approved for garage forecourts right next to car washes ....

I have yet to find anything outside that is "Lizard weather proof," for any length of time. Also there is nowhere outside to put the charger box so I could get a car anywhere near it. Most of my neighbours have a similar problem.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=15491 time=1580905267 user_id=89
What I can't do due to local conditions is fit a charger outside.

Fair enough, although I live in a street where no tree stands level and everything ends up white thanks to salt spray fom the estuarial river about 200 yards away.

The charger box is industrially weatherproof with a weatherproof covering. I'm surprised such a thing isnt possible in your area given it is approved for garage forecourts right next to car washes ....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=15490 time=1580904941 user_id=63
When I was going to buy a Nissan Leaf I had one fitted to my house FOC. It sits on the outside of the garage wall and the cable powering it is about the wattage of a ring main, which goes directly to a spare slot on the consumer unit.

Fitting took less than one hour.

It is designed to charge the Leaf from nothing to full in about 4 hours. A lesser powered model will fully charge such a vehicle in 8.

What I can't do due to local conditions is fit a charger outside.

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=15454 time=1580897141 user_id=89
Just out of interest I thought I would check what would be involved in putting an electric car charging point in my garage.

The main problem and expensive would be getting a dedicated electric supply for the charger to my garage. (All mains electric lines  have to be underground where I live.)

That would involve 35 metres of wiring underground because my separate garage is some distance from my home.

(The current supply to my garage will not handle the power needed. )

That would be an expensive operation as it would involve digging down through concrete for most of the length of the cable, including the garage floor.

When I was going to buy a Nissan Leaf I had one fitted to my house FOC. It sits on the outside of the garage wall and the cable powering it is about the wattage of a ring main, which goes directly to a spare slot on the consumer unit.

Fitting took less than one hour.

It is designed to charge the Leaf from nothing to full in about 4 hours. A lesser powered model will fully charge such a vehicle in 8.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts post_id=15479 time=1580902958 user_id=54
Oh well I guess you'll just have to bite the bullet and start digging.

Not really an electric car is well out of my price range.

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=15475 time=1580902046 user_id=89
My car when not in use has to be in the garage or the insurance is void.

Also a charging point outside would be "eaten" by the salt laden air quickly. (I also given the severe weather conditions that happen her want to plugging and unplugging electrical devices.)

Oh well I guess you'll just have to bite the bullet and start digging. I have a heavy duty cable from the house under a section of driveway and it comes up the wall to a fuse box just inside the garage door. That would save going under the garage floor. It was put in decades ago by a previous owner but presumably that would be a better idea.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts post_id=15463 time=1580899100 user_id=54
But I thought charging would only be a few hours. Are you saying that it would be on the charger all the time in the garage?

My car when not in use has to be in the garage or the insurance is void.

Also a charging point outside would be "eaten" by the salt laden air quickly. (I also given the severe weather conditions that happen her want to plugging and unplugging electrical devices.)

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=15460 time=1580898696 user_id=89
It has to be in the garage because the car has to be in the garage when not in use it is an insurance regulation.

(Other that than that cars left outside where I live get rotted out because of the salty atmosphere.)

But I thought charging would only be a few hours. Are you saying that it would be on the charger all the time in the garage?

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts post_id=15459 time=1580898442 user_id=54
Does it have to be in your garage? Wouldn't it make sense to cut that 35m? Can it not be sited on the corner of the house?

It has to be in the garage because the car has to be in the garage when not in use it is an insurance regulation.

(Other that than that cars left outside where I live get rotted out because of the salty atmosphere.)

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=15454 time=1580897141 user_id=89
Just out of interest I thought I would check what would be involved in putting an electric car charging point in my garage.

The main problem and expensive would be getting a dedicated electric supply for the charger to my garage. (All mains electric lines  have to be underground where I live.)

That would involve 35 metres of wiring underground because my separate garage is some distance from my home.

That would be an expensive operation as it would involve digging down through concrete for most of the length of the cable, including the garage floor.

Does it have to be in your garage? Wouldn't it make sense to cut that 35m? Can it not be sited on the corner of the house?

papasmurf