France: pension age raise from 62 to 64

Started by patman post, March 17, 2023, 12:45:41 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on March 18, 2023, 06:55:32 PM
I've not claimed or drawn down any pension yet.

Privately run or state run, if I remain in good health, I don't see myself claiming any of them within the next 25 year — I'm enjoying life and work too much...
My personal analysis of the advantages of deferral are that there are none. 

Im not going to be pushed into the 40% tax bracket by taking my state pension in September so i'm fucking having it. I will be carrying on working. Fishy Rishi has rigged a little surprise for everyone in a few weeks, a tax levy that will have to be paid by pensioners so he can continue to F@@@ you when you cease having to pay NI
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on March 20, 2023, 08:16:09 PM
It's what the French system seems to allow. Why should Macon worry about an occasional dipper into Breton cuisine concerns themself with..?
What weird machinations your mind has. 
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on March 20, 2023, 07:56:11 PM
What is bizarre is Macron forcing the legislation through without a vote using Article 49.3 and wondering why Paris is burning as a result. It is looking as if my holiday in Brittany in a few days is going to be "interesting."  I will be avoiding going to any large towns.
It's what the French system seems to allow. Why should Macon worry about an occasional dipper into Breton cuisine concerns themself with..?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on March 20, 2023, 07:35:17 PM
France is able to feed itself, that's true. The UK isn't. But why French train drivers, office workers, town hall reception staff, etc, etc, etc, should reject the idea of working until 64 when the French welfare system is so comprehensive seems bizarre. There are plenty of positions for brickies and the like in Bricorama and the like, who'd like to end their physical jobs with less exacting work...
What is bizarre is Macron forcing the legislation through without a vote using Article 49.3 and wondering why Paris is burning as a result. It is looking as if my holiday in Brittany in a few days is going to be "interesting."  I will be avoiding going to any large towns.

patman post

Quote from: Streetwalker on March 18, 2023, 08:12:21 PM
Thats great for those who can do it . France is pretty agricultral though and like me when you have been doing manual Labour since your teens by the time you get into your 60's the body starts aching ,the arthritis becomes more than twinge and all you do is sleep when your not at work .  Retirement is not only welcomed its necessary , those of us who do struggle through are not really doing ourselves any favours but there you go .
I can see why the French are striking , their government is asking for two years of what should be the best years of your retirement , by the time they draw the pension like us they will be too fecked to enjoy it
France is able to feed itself, that's true. The UK isn't. But why French train drivers, office workers, town hall reception staff, etc, etc, etc, should reject the idea of working until 64 when the French welfare system is so comprehensive seems bizarre. There are plenty of positions for brickies and the like in Bricorama and the like, who'd like to end their physical jobs with less exacting work...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on March 18, 2023, 06:55:32 PM
I've not claimed or drawn down any pension yet.

Privately run or state run, if I remain in good health, I don't see myself claiming any of them within the next 25 year — I'm enjoying life and work too much...
Thats great for those who can do it . France is pretty agricultral though and like me when you have been doing manual Labour since your teens by the time you get into your 60's the body starts aching ,the arthritis becomes more than twinge and all you do is sleep when your not at work .  Retirement is not only welcomed its necessary , those of us who do struggle through are not really doing ourselves any favours but there you go . 
I can see why the French are striking , their government is asking for two years of what should be the best years of your retirement , by the time they draw the pension like us they will be too fecked to enjoy it 

patman post

Quote from: Borchester on March 18, 2023, 04:04:46 PM
There you go Pat, you betrayed your country and now Macron is going to steal your pension. Not that he cares, Bridie has already claimed hers.

To be honest, I can't see much being left out of your 30 pieces of silver :)
I've not claimed or drawn down any pension yet. 

Privately run or state run, if I remain in good health, I don't see myself claiming any of them within the next 25 year — I'm enjoying life and work too much...

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on March 17, 2023, 12:45:41 PM
Garbage collectors in Paris are on strike because the pension age in France is due to rise from 62 to 64.

In the UK, state pension age is currently 66, but it is rising in stages to 68 for people born in 1979 and after.

Will it (should it) stop there...?

There you go Pat, you betrayed your country and now Macron is going to steal your pension. Not that he cares, Bridie has already claimed hers.

To be honest, I can't see much being left out of your 30 pieces of silver :)

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

papasmurf

HDQQ

Our governments put up the pension age with little or no protests because hardly anyone turned it into a single major issue.

Firstly, we were all told a decade or so ago that people were living longer, to the extent that "one in four babies born today would live to 100", which some commentators even misquoted as "one in three". We can now see this is highly unlikely to be the case. That, plus propaganda pushing the idea that lots of older people didn't want to retire, cleared the path to increasing the pension age.

Also there was the historic discrepancy where women could get their state pension at 60 whereas men had to wait to 65. Back in the 1980's and 90's, we were all led to believe that this  discrepancy would be addressed by lowering the men's pension age to 60. That was diluted to a new idea of a common pension age of 63 for men and women, which seemed like a fair compromise. Then in the 2000's came all the stuff I mentioned above about how we were all living longer and anyway we didn't want to retire from our extremely fulfilling and rewarding jobs filling supermarket shelves.  80 was the new 65!

In the age of gender equality, women didn't really have any case for having a pension age 5 years younger than men. So there weren't any grounds for them to protest, apart from a certain sub-group who were about to retire but found they could no longer afford it because of the short notice.

In France the pension age for everyone is being raised from 62 to 64 so there's no piecemeal way to divide and rule, plus it's been turned into a major political campaign. With hindsight, that's what should have happened here.

As an aside, I wonder why women did get their pensions at 60 when men had to wait to 65. Is it because in an average married couple the man is usually a bit older than the woman, so that historically many women were widows by the time they reached 60?
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

patman post

Garbage collectors in Paris are on strike because the pension age in France is due to rise from 62 to 64. 

In the UK, state pension age is currently 66, but it is rising in stages to 68 for people born in 1979 and after. 

Will it (should it) stop there...?