What a State of the Union

Started by T00ts, February 05, 2020, 01:38:08 PM

« previous - next »

Barry

I'm sure he's so bad, HQQ, he has no chance of another term. Democrats will win hands down.
† The end is nigh †

Hyperduck Quack Quack

I struggle to think of a worse elected leader of a western democracy than Trump, at least since the 1930s.  Certainly I'm of a very different persuasion to Trump supporters but even if I agreed with their politics I'd still have to deal with my profound dislike of Trump as a person.

Hyperduck Quack Quack

Quote from: T00ts post_id=15511 time=1580909888 user_id=54
Has anyone else seen that woman Nancy Pelosi tearing up Trump's speech. He refused to shake her hand when he handed her a copy and she promptly stood up at the end and ostentatiously tore it up! My goodness that's showing the Office of the Presidency some respect. Democrats were apparently walking out too but her demonstration was something else. Could that be a career termination?

Interesting to know what sort of respect you think the current president of the USA deserves now, a few weeks on from your original post.

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts post_id=15747 time=1581094631 user_id=54
I can believe that. I have friends over there and so many are saying that they are better off and that Obama sounded good at times but did nothing. I'll be surprised if Trump loses.

I said in the old forum I hardly bothered with yank politics even though I worked with many, but the last election primaries coincided with my youngest looking like she might be a 21st century GI bride so I took an interest.

As an erstwhile owner of a small business, I certainly identified with the overlooked overtaxed ignored white men Trump chose to appeal to. I would have voted for him and would do again, for the same reasons that the Democrats offer me nothing  ....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=15745 time=1581094245 user_id=63
Well that was the problem last time, no credible candidate.

The thing I noted most of all on my brief spell in the USA three months ago was the number of little businessmen who were keen to support him on the grounds Obama had done nothing for them and Hillary promised nothing for them either.

I can believe that. I have friends over there and so many are saying that they are better off and that Obama sounded good at times but did nothing. I'll be surprised if Trump loses.

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts post_id=15618 time=1580982865 user_id=54
It does seem that the Democrats are in complete disarray. They seem to have spent too much of the last few years hating Trump and too little on preparation for the next election. They don't seem to have a credible candidate. Since they are not happy to do business with us I almost want Trump to stay but I might regret that thought.

Well that was the problem last time, no credible candidate.

The thing I noted most of all on my brief spell in the USA three months ago was the number of little businessmen who were keen to support him on the grounds Obama had done nothing for them and Hillary promised nothing for them either.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

cromwell

Mod Notice

This thread ain't about Boris (I told you yesterday smurfy and you're pushing your luck)

Neither is it about Farage

Thread drift happens but with some it's a permanent feature about the tories and has to and will be stopped.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

DeppityDawg

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=15654 time=1580995317 user_id=89
My problem is their views are formed from lies, propaganda and spin. (Boris has had two bollockings in two weeks week after PMQs because he lied about matters that two seconds to refute from the governments own databases.)

He has a long way to catch up with Iain Duncan Smith but give it time.

The more liberals like Pelosi stamp their feet and act like spoilt children, the more likely it is Trump will get re-elected. It's the same sheer contempt for democracy that we had here.

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=15647 time=1580993191 user_id=89
The governments own data sets which they don't bother to read themselves.

What, you mean Trump's datasets or are you trying to get on your usual hobby horse? If only people could read. (Thread titles.that is.)
† The end is nigh †

patman post

Seems like most demonstrations of dissent in various legislatures are becoming increasingly childish — the Farage led flag waving and diatribe, the presidents snub of an offered hand, the ostentatious paper tearing, etc.

To me a pertinent question is: are we (the public) following the examples set by certain politicians, or are politicians being goaded by a loud ill-mannered rabble from which they're seeking support...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: DeppityDawg post_id=15650 time=1580993939 user_id=50
 I just wish that sometimes you'd realise that others are equally sincere in their views,

My problem is their views are formed from lies, propaganda and spin. (Boris has had two bollockings in two weeks week after PMQs because he lied about matters that two seconds to refute from the governments own databases.)

He has a long way to catch up with Iain Duncan Smith but give it time.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

DeppityDawg

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=15647 time=1580993191 user_id=89

Well, I have to say this papasmurf (and to your alter ego too). Despite all our arguments over the years, I have respect for your right to hold a view, even if it is a little contemptible at times. That doesn't make you wrong, it's just I don't agree with you, that's all.

You always stand by your views, and I respect that. Certain other posters have perhaps made me see that whilst you annoy the feck out of me at times, you are at least sincere, if a little misguided in my view. My opinion doesn't make me right, it just means I don't agree with you. I just wish that sometimes you'd realise that others are equally sincere in their views, even though you don't agree with them. I don't think it's too much to ask.

Now, after a very unDD like post, let's get back to arguing  :lol:

papasmurf

Quote from: DeppityDawg post_id=15643 time=1580991317 user_id=50
What, you mean "facts" you've trawled up from vested interest groups, crank websites and from other zealots like you?

No thanks.

DeppityDawg

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=15633 time=1580987415 user_id=89
You just don't like facts that challenge your opinions.

What, you mean "facts" you've trawled up from vested interest groups, crank websites and from other zealots like you?

No thanks.

papasmurf

Quote from: DeppityDawg post_id=15632 time=1580987297 user_id=50
So are you.

This has to be the easiest "shoot someone down in flames" with their own argument post ever.

You just don't like facts that challenge your opinions.