Inflation in surprise jump to 10.4% in February

Started by papasmurf, March 22, 2023, 07:34:31 AM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on March 22, 2023, 10:18:07 AM
I suspect the forecasters don't do any food/grocery shopping.
They probably dont buy value items and shop brands which are almost entirely whats been used for the 100% figure . For sure the weekly shop has gone up but not by that much . 

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on March 22, 2023, 10:09:30 AM
The forecasts are saying below 5% by the end of the year , last months 'jump' was a blip in a downward trend . BoE will rise interest rates if they think its a problem (watch this space )
I suspect the forecasters don't do any food/grocery shopping.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on March 22, 2023, 09:55:23 AM
Yes but the longer this double digit inflation persists the more damage is done. 
The forecasts are saying below 5% by the end of the year , last months 'jump' was a blip in a downward trend . BoE will rise interest rates if they think its a problem (watch this space ) 

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on March 22, 2023, 09:03:38 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about the slight rise in inflation figures for the past month . Its hardly a jump but a correction in the extra gains achieved in January
The trend is downward
Oct 22  11.1
Nov      10.7
Dec      10.5
Jan23  10.1
Feb      10.4

Needs keeping an eye on and a further rise in March would be a concern , a reduction however would confirm it was just a blip due mainly to food supply issues
Some food products have risen 100% or more year on year.

Prices of some UK groceries have ’more than doubled’ in past year, 22 Mar 2023 06:27 | Shares Magazine

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Streetwalker on March 22, 2023, 09:03:38 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about the slight rise in inflation figures for the past month . Its hardly a jump but a correction in the extra gains achieved in January
The trend is downward
Oct 22  11.1
Nov      10.7
Dec      10.5
Jan23  10.1
Feb      10.4

Needs keeping an eye on and a further rise in March would be a concern , a reduction however would confirm it was just a blip due mainly to food supply issues
Yes but the longer this double digit inflation persists the more damage is done.  

Streetwalker

The trend is downward 
Oct 22  11.1
Nov      10.7
Dec      10.5
Jan23   10.1
Feb      10.4 

papasmurf

So much for inflation dropping:-

Inflation in surprise jump to 10.4% in February - BBC News

9 minutes ago

The cost of living unexpectedly increased last month after three consecutive months of easing, driven by dining out and food price rises.
Inflation, which measures the increase in the price of something over time, jumped to 10.4% in the year to February from 10.1% in January.
Food costs rose at their fastest rate for 45 years with higher costs for some salads and vegetables in particular.
The prices rises come after shortages were seen in supermarkets.
Tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers were among certain vegetables that were in scarce supply, largely because of extreme weather affecting harvests in Spain and North Africa.
Shortages were also compounded by high energy prices impacting UK growers, as well as issues with supply chains.