Should MPs have their own TV shows?

Started by papasmurf, March 23, 2023, 08:11:53 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on March 23, 2023, 10:59:39 PM
Not at all IF and only IF they actually believe it. 
Judging by internet forum far too many people do believe the lies and propaganda.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: patman post on March 23, 2023, 12:32:52 PM
But is a lie really a lie if the deliverer believes it to be true...?
Not at all IF and only IF they actually believe it.  

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on March 23, 2023, 02:38:40 PM
If you're aware of Ofcom guidance, and you judge it is against MPs hosting TV shows (or particularly MPs on this type of channel), perhaps you should complain to the regulator.

Otherwise, you're just wittering away in the background...
Given what those MPs are coming out with in the way of lies and propaganda I may well contact Ofcom and other relevant people.

It does seem odd those MPs trousering a lot of money from having their own TV shows all seem, (Unless anyone knows otherwise,) to be Tories.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on March 23, 2023, 12:34:35 PM
I don't want them banned from appearing on radio and TV but they should not have their own radio/TV shows. I am already fully aware of the OFCOM guidance, and frankly the current batch of MPs with their own TV shows seem to be ignoring them.
If you're aware of Ofcom guidance, and you judge it is against MPs hosting TV shows (or particularly MPs on this type of channel), perhaps you should complain to the regulator.

Otherwise, you're just wittering away in the background...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on March 23, 2023, 12:32:52 PM
Not in the case of MPs:-
More at link:-
Full Fact Report 2023 - Full Fact

Full Fact fights bad information and campaigns for higher standards from politicians, the media, and in our shared information landscape. Last year we published 624 fact checks and requested more than 180 corrections.

2022 was a damaging year for standards in public debate:

• As many as 50 MPs, including two Prime Ministers, Cabinet and Shadow Cabinet Ministers, failed to correct false, unevidenced or misleading claims, despite repeated calls from Full Fact to do so
  • The statistics regulator had to write to the UK Government at least 10 times to challenge it on its use of statistics or other data
  • A false claim about employment statistics was repeated at least 9 times in Parliament by a sitting prime minister and has yet to be officially corrected, despite challenge by the Office for Statistics Regulation, UK Statistics Authority and the House of Commons Liaison Committee
  • The government's Online Safety Bill rowed back on promises to address harmful misinformation and disinformation, and now fails to protect freedom of expression.
Last year Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said he wanted to 'restore trust into politics'. Leader of the Opposition Keir Starmer said 'trust has to be earned'. The latest public polling on faith in politics and politicians suggests neither has yet succeeded.[4]

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on March 23, 2023, 12:30:43 PM

Banning all politicians from appearing on radio and TV would be counterproductive. Besides, I want to hear their outlooks and views.

I don't want them banned from appearing on radio and TV but they should not have their own radio/TV shows. I am already fully aware of the OFCOM guidance, and frankly the current batch of MPs with their own TV shows seem to be ignoring them.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on March 23, 2023, 11:25:50 AM
Propaganda and lies is NOT info.
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on March 23, 2023, 10:22:18 AM
But it is effectively party political broadcasts outside of the regulations covering party political broadcasts. It is anti democratic.
Politicians having second jobs was frowned on by Lee Anderson. Now he's gone and got another job himself. That's what appears hypocritical.

Banning all politicians from appearing on radio and TV would be counterproductive. Besides, I want to hear their outlooks and views.

Ofcom rules on party political and referendum broadcasts are worth reading...

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0035/99188/pprb-rules-december-2020.pdf

Streetwalker

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on March 23, 2023, 11:23:10 AM
But then again the more info we have about what polititians stand for the better . Many complaints were registered in the past that people did not have enough information , that people didn't know what they were voting for ect .

You could say the more the more they are on the telly , the more democratic the system becomes . Of course you would need to ensure everyone gets a fair crack at it if they want to  but on the face of it I would be in favour .
Propaganda and lies is NOT info. 

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on March 23, 2023, 10:22:18 AM
But it is effectively party political broadcasts outside of the regulations covering party political broadcasts. It is anti democratic.
But then again the more info we have about what polititians stand for the better . Many complaints were registered in the past that people did not have enough information , that people didn't know what they were voting for ect .

You could say the more the more they are on the telly , the more democratic the system becomes . Of course you would need to ensure everyone gets a fair crack at it if they want to  but on the face of it I would be in favour . 

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on March 23, 2023, 09:17:26 AM
That would have two criteria for me , Im not paying for it and Im not forced to watch it . So as long as its not on the BBC and  there are still batteries in the remote they can do as they fecking please

Streetwalker

That would have two criteria for me , Im not paying for it and Im not forced to watch it . So as long as its not on the BBC and  there are still batteries in the remote they can do as they fecking please 

papasmurf

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on March 23, 2023, 08:25:39 AM
It certainly doesn't look right
It doesn't not with 30p Lee about to get his own show. With an allegedly over £100000 a year income from it.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: papasmurf on March 23, 2023, 08:11:53 AM
There appears to be an outbreak of MPs getting their own TV shows.  That frankly in my opinion is breaking regulations about party political broadcasts.
It certainly doesn't look right