Do you ever feel that you can't be arsed ?

Started by Borchester, March 24, 2023, 01:41:14 PM

« previous - next »

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Borchester on March 24, 2023, 03:28:15 PM
For normal conversation I need to be within 6 feet of the speaker. I don't know how bad that is, but I am ok with it.

NHS hearing aids are fine. The thing is that when you start to go deaf it is not linear. It is not so much that you can't hear as that you can't hear certain frequencies as well as others, This means that hearing aids have to be adjusted accordingly. The only problem is, as said, I can't be arsed to adjust the bloody thing
Makes sense, to adjust it you'd have to read the manual and no one with a Y chromosome should read the manual.  To (be caught) doing so is to be a traitor to our gender.

My mother would go out of her way to lose her hearing aids she detested them so much but then we did have some very strange 'conversations' with her.  'Do you see the football (she was big Spurs supporter)?' leading to 'No my foot isn't any better'  

Borchester

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on March 24, 2023, 03:09:21 PM
Sounds like (pun?) you didn't really need a hearing aid that much and they confused you ignoring people with deafness.

Everyone I know who's had hearing aids say the NHS ones are crap, about half the people I know have had them try to live in denial saying they can hear enough OK really but their frequent habit of answering the questions they've imagined they were asked makes everyone think they're losing their marbles.

For normal conversation I need to be within 6 feet of the speaker. I don't know how bad that is, but I am ok with it.

NHS hearing aids are fine. The thing is that when you start to go deaf it is not linear. It is not so much that you can't hear as that you can't hear certain frequencies as well as others, This means that hearing aids have to be adjusted accordingly. The only problem is, as said, I can't be arsed to adjust the bloody thing

Algerie Francais !

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Borchester on March 24, 2023, 01:41:14 PM
About three years ago I was issued with a hearing aid courtesy of the NHS and ever since have been bombarded with spare batteries and good advice from the suppliers.

Which is kind in them. And if the NHS were not doing this they would probably piddle the money away on something even less important, so I am easy with it.But the thing is that I have forgotten how to do whatever the hell you are supposed to do with the thing and so never use it. I suppose that I could look the matter up on the internet but, as said, I can't be bothered. If I really want to hear something I just get closer, but most of the time I look at the speaker's face and nod at the appropriate moment and that works fine

How about you guys?
Sounds like (pun?) you didn't really need a hearing aid that much and they confused you ignoring people with deafness.

Everyone I know who's had hearing aids say the NHS ones are crap, about half the people I know have had them try to live in denial saying they can hear enough OK really but their frequent habit of answering the questions they've imagined they were asked makes everyone think they're losing their marbles. 

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on March 24, 2023, 02:34:29 PM
I have to admit that you certainly know more than me about Italian sausage...

Possibly not the place for true confessions and such

Algerie Francais !

patman post

Quote from: Borchester on March 24, 2023, 02:27:17 PM
What !!!

Actually, I don't see that well either, but once again, if I really want to see something I just get closer. I was at the National Gallery recently recently, parked in front of the Fighting Temeraire (I think) and this chap came up and said that it had elements of  chiaroscuro in it, so I replied that one should not confuse Joe Turner with Mike Merisi, which is about the limit of my knowledge of fine art. But it made sod all odds to my new mate who clearly thought he had found a fellow nerd and rattled on fit to beat the band.
I have to admit that you certainly know more than me about Italian sausage...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on March 24, 2023, 01:57:41 PM
Self motivation has never been a problem . I would suggest politely that you need to give yourself a kick up the jacksie and sort your shit out .
Having said that Ive got a mate who doesn't stop talking from the moment he walks in the club to the momement I leave .Its just verball diorea non stop  he can't help himself . Being deaf would definately be an advantage as would being able to nod and laugh at the appropriate times during the onslaught . You have developed an art Borky , maybe you could give lessons ?

I am usually quite happy to hear what other folk have to say, diarrhoea or not. Have the time I can't hear them, but it gives me the reputation as a great conversationist
Algerie Francais !

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on March 24, 2023, 01:48:27 PM
Is your unused deaf aid the reason you appear to be shouting in your posts these days — or is it to do with specs that need changing...?

What !!!

Actually, I don't see that well either, but once again, if I really want to see something I just get closer. I was at the National Gallery recently recently, parked in front of the Fighting Temeraire (I think) and this chap came up and said that it had elements of  chiaroscuro in it, so I replied that one should not confuse Joe Turner with Mike Merisi, which is about the limit of my knowledge of fine art. But it made sod all odds to my new mate who clearly thought he had found a fellow nerd and rattled on fit to beat the band.

Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borchester on March 24, 2023, 01:41:14 PM
About three years ago I was issued with a hearing aid courtesy of the NHS and ever since have been bombarded with spare batteries and good advice from the suppliers.

Which is kind in them. And if the NHS were not doing this they would probably piddle the money away on something even less important, so I am easy with it.But the thing is that I have forgotten how to do whatever the hell you are supposed to do with the thing and so never use it. I suppose that I could look the matter up on the internet but, as said, I can't be bothered. If I really want to hear something I just get closer, but most of the time I look at the speaker's face and nod at the appropriate moment and that works fine

How about you guys?
Self motivation has never been a problem . I would suggest politely that you need to give yourself a kick up the jacksie and sort your shit out .
Having said that Ive got a mate who doesn't stop talking from the moment he walks in the club to the momement I leave .Its just verball diorea non stop  he can't help himself . Being deaf would definately be an advantage as would being able to nod and laugh at the appropriate times during the onslaught . You have developed an art Borky , maybe you could give lessons ?

patman post

Is your unused deaf aid the reason you appear to be shouting in your posts these days — or is it to do with specs that need changing...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

How about you guys?
Algerie Francais !